Time in braces...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newmetal

Time in braces...

#1 Post by newmetal »

How accurate is this?Are there many cases where the braces are removed earlier?

Also..can clear brackets stain?

genxsis

#2 Post by genxsis »

I was told in the beginning that I'd be in braces 2-2.5 years. After my last adjustment, my ortho said it looked like I might be done in 6 to 9 months from now, which would bring my total to 1 year and 3 months. Time will tell if that really ends up being the case.
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

lionfish

Re: Time in braces...

#3 Post by lionfish »

newmetal wrote:How accurate is this?Are there many cases where the braces are removed earlier?

Also..can clear brackets stain?
All estimates for treatment time are just that: estimates. Some people go longer, others take less time. It all depends on what happens during the course of treatment and what unforeseen obstacles, or good fortune, may come your way. I have an 18 month estimate, but I'm not pinning my hopes on an early release. And if it takes a bit longer, then that is what is meant to happen.

Clear brackets do not stain. Clear ligatures and powerchains do stain, and some of the coloured versions change colour with certain foods and beverages e.g. curry, tea, red wine, etc. Mixing colour with clear brackets can look really good if you're into that, and many colours are stain resistant.

Joanna20

#4 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey, I was not given any estimated time - and thanks God I haven't! From what I can tell it will be another year or so before they'll be removed and another 9 months or so till they start looking good.
Time goes by.... so slowly :roll:

Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

Gawd, the time has simply flown for me! I cannot believe I started this 7 months ago.

juf_84

#6 Post by juf_84 »

I'm not sure how accurate my treatment time will be... but I'm pretty sure I won't finish early- less than 9 months in braces sounds too good to be true. At the moment I am just enjoying all the changes and not thinking about debanding just yet.
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

Rebraced

#7 Post by Rebraced »

I am back in braces for the second time. I was supposed to have these for about three months but it' will be a year next week when they are removed. If I had the Damons they said it would have been faster but whatever it's ok. Some of us are a bit slower I guess.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Braced on 9/20/05 Top and Bottom
Clear brackets with wire ties

paralegallsj

Time

#8 Post by paralegallsj »

I am looking at 2 1/2 to 3 years. I am not worried about how long it will take. I have lived with this unhappy smile for over 20 years so I am sure I can bear the time I am suppose to be in my braces.

Best wishes :lol:

Spacers Placed on Sept 5, 2006
Spacers Re-placed on Sept 12, 2006
Upper and Lower Bands Placed on Sept 14, 2006
Upper Metal Braces Placed on Sept 14, 2006
1st Adjustment on October 18, 2006
2nd Adjustment on November 28, 2006
Lower Metal Braces on November 28, 2006

Keith

#9 Post by Keith »

I was told an estimate of 18 months. I just entered my 20th month and there is just one small gap the ortho is trying to close and then I am done. I suppose I could stop now, I think he feels he is done, but I want to keep going, albeit reluctantly! I would say I have 2-3 months left. I had no extractions, I am healthy, I thought I would be done early, but I guess there are no guarantees!

victory1

#10 Post by victory1 »

I was giving a 12 months estimate, I'm almost in my 16 months. I'm getting de-braced on 11-7, and that's over 17 months (Nov 25th would have made it 18 months). :roll:

ssfw

#11 Post by ssfw »

When I went for my consultation, I was told 16-20 months. When I got my lower braces palced last week, I asked the ortho that was there how long he estimated now that I had the upper braces for 3-1/2 months, his estimate made it 19 months. I do know that these are just estimates and if it takes longer I'm fine with that as long as I know my teeth will look better due to the extra time.

I don't really think about getting the braces removed, yet. I just look forward to the progress made on the ortho treatment.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Gennel

#12 Post by Gennel »

(quote=)Lionfish" It all depends on what happens during the course of treatment and what unforeseen obstacles, or good fortune, may come your way"

My ortho gave me an estimate according to his experience with cases like mine but is just an estimate. My teeth might move slower or faster than his other patients.

Gennel

stargirl

#13 Post by stargirl »

Hmmm... my original estimate was 18-24 months, and it looks as if my total treatment time will be about 19-20 months, so I think that's right on target.

It seems early to me - I was fully expecting more than 2 years in braces! Overall, it really depends on your case/how well you comply with ortho's instructions, etc.

bckydgardnr

#14 Post by bckydgardnr »

As everyone has said, it's an estimate...

My time frame was 30 months...I am almost 20 months in. A couple of months ago my ortho said, things are really progressing, you will probably be out early... At my last adjustment last Wednesday he was a little bothered with a gap that refuses to close. Now I have been fitted for a bite plate which I get this Thursday...woohoo... so I think I am back to the 30 months or probably more.

You almost have to take it one adjustment at a time.

Gardnr
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05

Chris

#15 Post by Chris »

I had original estimate at 18-24 months. I am now at 27 months and looking into another 4-6 months!
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007