Braces for me on 13 Sept 06

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

diande

#16 Post by diande »

Thank you Schott!

My coworkers just noticed because my boss (young and feisty and likes to get into people's business) just put me on the spot and told me to smile for them to see how they look :? ...of course I refused until they got exasperated and left me alone! Makes me remember why I wanted to get braces in the first place! :D

SDFD TSchott

#17 Post by SDFD TSchott »

lol I remember going into work for the first time with braces on everyone knew something was up cause I'm constently smileing at work, and when I went in I was smileing but WITHOUT showing my teeth. Thats when they all told me to smile and then the following day at work I said the heck with it and smiled away!

They all were shocked about me starting treatment.

SDFD TSchott
Code 4

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

diande

The morning after...

#18 Post by diande »

Ohhhh the pain upon trying to have my first meal post-bonding!!! Incredible! I almost spit out my peas and rice! Lol. I had to cook noodles instead and chew on one set of back teeth because I bite down on a bracket on the other! I think I swallowed most of the noodles actually!

Other than when I try to chew, pain is mostly mimimal, almost like a dull tightening now and again and then it fades into the 'new normal', lol....Not bad so far at all, and I havent used the wax either! Warm drinks sure are soothing though :P
Last edited by diande on Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Upper and lower bonded retainers; Upper Hawley for night time

DEBANDED ON FRIDAY 15TH AUGUST 2008 - FINALLY!!!

Braced on 13 September 2006 - Ceramic upper and lower brackets - Estimated time was 12 Months

diande

#19 Post by diande »

:roll: my gums have been bleeding a bit when i brush. with the naked eye at the base of certain teeth, there is some blood just under the gum. i have been looking for other posts that might mean this is not too strange in some of the other forums but not sure what i've found. i figure it might be one or both of 2 things:
1. i did brush very hard, the evening, night and morning before the braces were fitted (to be sure i had extra clean teeth)
2. the tension the moving teeth is creating just aggravates no. 1 more

this afternoon after work, i went and got new mouthwash, oral-b (as opposed to the alcoholic aquafresh that was burning my tender gums, piks (heard about them from posts here! lol), listerine essential toothpaste (to use at night in particular, the regular and less expensive kinds will suffice during the day!) and guess what - a new soft toothbrush, kids soft - as adults soft is still making my gums bleed. havent used it yet but hope it's easier on me. it hurts so badly, i've been tempted not to brush and only floss and use mouthwash!
Last edited by diande on Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Braced on 13 September 2006 - Ceramic upper and lower brackets - Estimated time was 12 Months

Tin Indian

braces

#20 Post by Tin Indian »

:D :D Diande, Cogratulations on becoming another Metal Mouth Member!!.Hope all goes well with your treatment and your gums and teeth are feeling better.Please remember salt water rinses and plenty of lip gloss and wax if needed. I've had mine on for two weeks now and I have noticed movement already and my soreness in my teeth and gums are all but gone.
Tin Indian-over and out

diande

#21 Post by diande »

Oh it's so nice to hear from all of you :)

The kids soft toothbrush is definitely easier on the gums and the salt water rinses are working just as you guys recommended - no more bleeding! :D

Tin Indian, you've also newly inspired me, lol. I can't wait to reach that 2-week marker now! :P

I've still never had to use wax which I'm also very happy about, but the dull pain is increasing, not so dull anymore, lol :wink:

I need to get some work done so

Have a great day everyone :)
Last edited by diande on Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paralegallsj

HI

#22 Post by paralegallsj »

Just saying hello and Good Luck!!!!!

:D

Spacers Placed on Sept 5, 2006
Spacers Re-placed on Sept 12, 2006
Upper and Lower Bands Placed on Sept 14, 2006
Upper Metal Braces Placed on Sept 14, 2006
1st Adjustment on October 18, 2006
2nd Adjustment on November 28, 2006
Lower Metal Braces on November 28, 2006

iBorg

My first 24 hours

#23 Post by iBorg »

I started following this topic as I got my braces a day after the originator of the topic. Mine were installed on the 14th. So far I've been able to eat reasonably well but I get tired of trying to take small bites and finally say to heck with it and letting the rest of the meal go. This morning I was able to eat a breakfast bar on my commute to work. Normally I eat two but after one I decided I didn't have the desire to spend ten minutes eating the second one. I also found it amazing the amount of food debris I collected. I'm sure when I get my bottom and a bite plate, that problem will only get worse.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Cablindian

SAME DAY I WAS FULLY BRACED

#24 Post by Cablindian »

I had my bottom metal braces put on a week ago, but I got the metal top on the 13th. I'm glad they're on now, and I'm finally in the process of getting a nice smile. I guess I need to switch to a softer brush because my gums have been bleeding when I brush. I'll stop by the store and get a kiddie brush. Also, I used Crest alcohol-free mouthwash yesterday and for some reason, some of the blue residue got stuck in my brackets! Has anyone else run into this?????? Maybe I'll get blue ligs next time.. they looked really neat. :P

diande

#25 Post by diande »

hi paralegallsj! :P nice of u to drop by :)

diande

#26 Post by diande »

iborg and Cablindian its nice to meet up with ppl who are almost at the same place as me in the braces process :!:

i understand all the drama with taking way too long to eat, lol. today i've only had potato! breakfast - mashed potatoes (call me crazy), lunch -shepherds pie and a piece of potato pie. it's been such a great change from the pain of trying to chew even noodles!

iborg: you dont know how lucky you are to be able to eat a breakfast bar!

cablindian: aquafresh(w/ alcohol) used to leave blue little smidgeons between some of my teeth and even on the arch wire and i would have to use the interdental brush to remove it afterwards. i switched to oral b anticavity fluoride rinse(no alcohol and so no burning of my tender gums) and although its also blue, i have never had the problem. the blue leftovers seem, to me, to be the result of some sort of coagulation process and because it has never happened with oral b, i figure it wasnt just one of those that KK mentioned which show up places that need to be cleaned better.

diande

The strangest thing

#27 Post by diande »

Last night after a day that went without any new experiences, two brackets on the lower front teeth started to cut into the inner side of my lips. So, i had to use wax for the first time.

The strangest thing was that it wasn't the side brackets that caused this problem - as even the ortho mentioned most likely to cause irritation. And this is even more weird because the lower front teeth are supposed to be being pushed back a bit and so i dont know why they would suddenly be such a problem to my inner mouth as if they were coming forward... :roll:
Last edited by diande on Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

iBorg

My second day

#28 Post by iBorg »

In my case, I have only tops. Last night I had to put wax on the hooks. I guess things are moving as my bite definetly feels different.

Let's all keep our spirits UP, this is for the better.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Higgy

#29 Post by Higgy »

So apparently my process is a bit different than everyone else's here, as I saw the comment about it being such a short time from the molds to the bracketing...my molds and brackets are being done at the same appointment. I've already gone in and had the xrays and pictures, consult, etc thought. I'm at my 4 more days mark, and figured I'll spend the next few days eating all the wonderful things I won't be able to once I get the brackets. BTW....I notice on my ortho's website that popcorn is on the restricted list?? I just about live on popcorn:(

diande

#30 Post by diande »

Higgy, I strongly second that notion! Eat with appreciation all the things you love now that you wont be able to eat after the braces go on! :lol:

There are great tasting softer and safe foods to eat even with braces but there is that issue of always having to plan and prepare and sift what u can or cannot eat which robs u of more than some delicious food stuff, but interrupts that sense of spontaneity and just being able to have whatever u want to eat, snack on etc :P

iborg you are right, a positive attitude keeping the end in mind, makes the discomfort more than worth it. Last night I was talking to someone about a friend of hers who had her teeth fixed by the same ortho as I have. The person had similar probs as I do (spaces and overbite) but which were far worse. Anyway I was told that her teeth which are now done are beautiful and look really good. That inspired me so much!