How long after.........

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JennThompson79

How long after.........

#1 Post by JennThompson79 »

For those with elastics, how long after getting braces was it before the ortho put you in the elastics? I know I will have to wear them, just not sure when it will start. I was just curious about when everyone went into their elastics. Thanks

eoberhauser

#2 Post by eoberhauser »

I got my elastics about 3 months into my treatment and have been wearing them religiously 24/7 since (about 6 months or so) At my next adjustment the ortho will be starting on my midline so I expect there will be an elastic for that, and also I have a crossbite in my back upper right. We will be using elastics for that after we get all we can out of bending the archwire out.

Erin

Jillianleab

#3 Post by Jillianleab »

I got mine at my last adjustment, which was a few weeks before I hit 4 months. Some people get them from the very start of their treatment, some at the end, and other people never have them at all!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

stargirl

#4 Post by stargirl »

I got my first elastics after about 10 months of being in braces, but I think it really varies depending on your case or ortho.

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

I got mine at 6 months and only take them out to clean my teeth, so 24/7 like many people here. They are there to close an open bite. And they work.

Gennel

#6 Post by Gennel »

I got my elastics 2 months into treatment. It would have been the first week of treatment but my bottom braces were not on yet . I need movement of my bottom molars and that can only be done if the bottom and top braces are on.

When and if elastics are used totally depends on each patient and their situation. Some people get the elastics toward the end of treatment,others in the beginning.I think only your ortho can tell you when elastics will start. How long have you been in braces? I'm only 3 months into treatment....hoping it was 2 yrs already! lol :)

Gennel