Chewing gum affect!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newmetal

Chewing gum affect!

#1 Post by newmetal »

Ive been braced a week now and i still have times when im about to eat and think oh i better take this out of my mouth before eating, to find its the brace im planning on spitting outlol. You know that feeling you have when you've been chewing gum for a while and then you go to eat and double back to remove the chewing gum, well thats how i feel with the brace. I hope people get what im saying, if so does anyone else get this feeling?

Jillianleab

#2 Post by Jillianleab »

I got the same feeling at first. I never felt totally ready for bed at night since I had these THINGS on my teeth!

You get used to it, don't worry :)
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

ilvpoohbear76

#3 Post by ilvpoohbear76 »

Newmetal,
I too just got braced on 9/07/06 so I have had my braces on for 1 week and 2 days.
I can hear what you are saying about having that feeling. I was real worried about that before getting my braces because I hate the feeling of stuff on my teeth and I was always brushing my teeth.
I too do not feel ready sometime at night to go to bed because it feels like I need to clean my teeth. I really do not lie eating with them on because it feels like I have a bunch of gunk in my mouth and I am worried that I will knock a brace off ans swallow it.
I have found that I cannot chew things as well as I used to and that I drool at night now. I am not real sure if the drooling is because of the braces or the much hated bite plate that comes along with them which by the way my ortho said I needed to wear 24/7 and eat with it in as well.
What a joke I can't eat anything with it in and if I were to leave it in would for sure be hating life.
Anyhow the best of luck to you and hope you get used to those braces real quick.

Bridget

#4 Post by Bridget »

Funny that you write this - I have the same feeling every now and then...it just feels like "not right" to eat until I finally notice "well, there is no other way" then leaving that stuff in while eating

I really thought I was being silly :-)

After two months I have really gotten used to my braces but - I must admit - I am just hitting a "point of tiredness" and that after only two months! :oops: Well there are still a few months to go.....

Upper and lower ceramics
9 months to go......less if I am REALLY lucky

MsTiaLia

#5 Post by MsTiaLia »

KK wrote:That's an interesting one newmetal! 8)

The feeling I had in the early stages was of total frustrating of not being able to remove my braces ... just for a little while.
KK

I could've HUGGED you when I read this. That is EXACTLY how I felt when I first got my braces! I remember saying, "I wish I could take them off...just for a little while!" I just wanted to lie them on the nightstand when I went to bed! I actually cried one night because I felt TRAPPED in them! Thankfully, that passes:)

Thanks for the laugh you guys!!!