impact on taking your brace off 4 months earlier

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

battleangel232232

impact on taking your brace off 4 months earlier

#1 Post by battleangel232232 »

How much impact will result from taking your brace off 4 months earlier then the original end date?

I know quite well that it’s highly recommended to stay with the whole treatment. But I will relocate during the last few months of my 2 years treatment, it quite difficult for me to stick to the whole plan. I’m also aware that there is a transfer options but due to my job related reasons, I really need to take off my brace before I relocate myself.

So my questions are, how much different (teeth, facial) if I take off my brace 4 months earlier from my 2 year treatment?? The reason why I think it might worth it because from what I read/heard, it seems that the last few months are just for fine tuning and it doesn’t really make much big changes on the teeth/ facial structure, most of the large movement are usually from the first year of the treatment,Is this true???
hope someone can enlighten me and point me to the right direction

my problems
I have a 2mm overbite
mid crowding on the bottom
billmaxary protrusion

battleangel232232

#2 Post by battleangel232232 »

Ya , I understand that everyone will have different result, but just in general (most cases) the last few months are pretty much for fine tuning and not much teeth or facial movement???:

alexa

#3 Post by alexa »

The last couple of months are also for letting your teeth "settle". It's important to let your teeth relax in their final position for a month or so in order to help them stabilize.

Really, talk to your ortho.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

battleangel232232

#4 Post by battleangel232232 »

The last couple of months are also for letting your teeth "settle". It's important to let your teeth relax in their final position for a month or so in order to help them stabilize.
but isn't thats what retainers are for?

jennielee81

#5 Post by jennielee81 »

Ya , I understand that everyone will have different result, but just in general (most cases) the last few months are pretty much for fine tuning and not much teeth or facial movement???:
You need to ask your ortho about this since everyone is different. But details don't necessarily mean there's not much movement:

I've been in the final stages...what my ortho calls "details" for the last 5 months. Also have heard they use the words "fine tuning". Now don't let these words influence what is really going on in my mouth.

We've moved my overbite 3mm and opened my bite up. This opening caused one side to open a little too much so we're "fine tuning" that. My teeth are not even close to looking perfect. If I had got my braces off 4 months early, though we've only been fine tuning things, my teeth would have looked awful.

This is an individual thing, but keep in mind that the fine tuning and details can still be a BIG DEAL!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm