Should I start now? ( an open bite question)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bownieangel

Should I start now? ( an open bite question)

#1 Post by bownieangel »

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this board, but I've been lurking around, looking at posts and trying to fit other answers to my questions. The atmosphere here is really nice :D , and I feel more confident asking my question directly. So here goes...

I'm 19, with an open bite that I had for years (They appeared when I was about thirteen). I'm also African, and at the time there seemed to be more important things (understandably) for my parents than my front teeth that didn't seem to touch--quite frankly, I didn't pay much attention to it either. As far as I know, it didn't seem to bother me much physically. Now I'm in college (in the US) and I'm very self-conscious about it. My smile is horrible and looks fake :( . Sometimes my molars and jaws feel pressured when I eat crunchy food (although this is mild). Initially, I didn't know what was wrong with me and just thought that I was with some teeth malfunction peculiar only to myself, and after researching and finding this board, I was relieved. I'm happy about not being alone in this.

My question: where do I begin in treating my open bite? I'm a junior in college, with very little funds. My gap measures about 3-4mm in length. Is this really severe and in need of attention, or is it something that can wait until I graduate and get a job? I wish I could photograph my teeth so that you could see. I understand that the answers I recieve will not match medical advice, but there's nothing like hearing something from people who are also in this experience, and much more knowledgable than I am.
Last edited by bownieangel on Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

victory1

#2 Post by victory1 »

My little sister attends University of Florida and she had braces put on by the dentistry school. Usually a residence will do all the work with the profesor checking everything. It's still expensive but you can get a good 30% discount. Also the down payment is cheap about $450 and the monthly payments were $99. So if you have a dentistry school in your university, get a consult there first.

iBorg

When to start?

#3 Post by iBorg »

It seems younger the better, but, at the same time you must realise that you're looking at an expensive process that many would view as a luxury. My advice, concentrate on college, get a good job and hope your insurance covers it. If insurance doesn't, set up some form of savings. I can't imaginge anything worse than getting started and running out of money during treatment. Also, if you start treatment, you are somewhat limited to mobility after graduation if you're still undergoing treatment.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

jcdamon3

#4 Post by jcdamon3 »

Anything can wait - There is alot of us here that waited 30 years! :-)

Having said that, not all employers offer dental insurance that covers adult ortho, so you could be waiting for nothing. On the other hand iBorg is correct in stating that if you don't plan to stay where you are after graduation you may have to switch orthos in the middle of treatment.

Why don't you go speak to an ortho? It is usually free for a consult. He can tell you alot more than we can since he will be able to see you in person. One thing you may want to ask is what are the risks of waiting.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Betty Bat

#5 Post by Betty Bat »

Another thing to consider relative to timing - where will you be during the next 18 to 24 months (that's a pretty typical interval for braces)? If you are now a junior in college, are you planning to stay in the same area after you graduate? Otherwise, you might need to change ortho's during your treatment. That's not a real problem, just something else to think about.

bownieangel

Hey!

#6 Post by bownieangel »

Thanks for replying everyone!

I plan to graduate the next december, which is about 15 months from now...but based on your replies it doesn't seem to be enough time to complete a treatment :( I'm planning on going to law school in either Chicago or Minneapolis the fall after that. I'd like to work as a paralegal or some sort of aid in a law firm (in either cities) before hitting the books again.

I will visit orthodontists to get an opinion though. I live in North Dakota :D so it might be a little harder than usual in finding one. We'll see. Thanks so much for the replies!!! I will keep you all posted.

starryadora

#7 Post by starryadora »

I too have an open bite that was slightly smaller yours. I was braced in Damon 3 braces nearly 5 months ago. I am ahead of schedule and have seen significant results with my open bite. My treatment time was estimated from 9-14 months, but currently he reduced that by 2 months so I will be braced for about a year. All the closing of the open bite to date has been reached by only using the braces. My ortho wants to close as much of the open bite with braces as possible BEFORE going to elastics, which I will likely get in a few months. Open bites are tricky to fix and tend to get worse over time...they also cause your molars to wear faster than normal.
I would say go to a few orthos and get a consultation...you might be pleasantly surprised with the time frame!

*~Currently retained in:
-Upper and Lower bonded retainers
-Upper QCM Hawley
-Damon Splint (night)
-Postitioner (as needed)

~*Orthodontic Assistant*~

MsTiaLia

#8 Post by MsTiaLia »

I would say to start with a good dentist. Keep in mind that before you get braces, just about every other possible problem in your mouth needs to be fixed (ie. fillings, root canals, extractions, etc) So if you start with your dentist, they can make sure your gums and teeth are healthy and would likely be able to get you started on the right path towards orthodontia. I got out of college in 2002 and started dental treatment (with wisdom teeth extractions) in the beginning of 2003. I didn't finish my dental work and get my braces until January of this year! So make a plan and work from there. Perfect teeth DEFINITELY do not happen overnight!

Chris

#9 Post by Chris »

Find an ortho who has lots of experience with open bites.

Ask lots of questions, like "what will you do if this happens, etc."

One of our posters, CLO, has not had success correcting his open bite.
Thats not to say that you won't but given what he's been through, I would recommend to everyone to really get an ortho that specifically has success with open bites. Ask if some cases were not able to be corrected and why.

Good luck to you!
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Chris

#10 Post by Chris »

oops, erased a double post. :?
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Clo

#11 Post by Clo »

Hi,

Chris mentioned me, so I am happy to join in.

I won't deny it, closing an open bite is not easy. It seems to be one of those
harder things of orthodontia. But there are several reasons why someone can
have an open bite. Only a good ortho can evaluate your case. It is my impression
that the longer you wait the more difficult it becomes to correct. Your age is now
some advantage. You still have some "teen bone" in you. I know I put this
in a strange way, but the older you get, the more difficult it becomes to learn
your teeth "new tricks".

So, I would see an ortho, maybe some orthos and hear their opinion. I would
do this as soon as possible. It is only a first consultation. You can then still
decide what you want to do.

Good luck !