why somtime extractions are done AFTER brace are put on??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ilovetosmile232

#1 Post by Ilovetosmile232 »

Gennel

#2 Post by Gennel »

Our orthodontist said that my daughter was " Borderline Extraction" meaning that he would put braces on her and try to correct her bite and align the teeth. If after several months this did not work then he had to choice except to extract 2 top premolars and two bottom premolars.

Also some patients can start their orthodontic treatment and get extractions several weeks later...

Gennel
P.S. I was not so lucky and had 6 extractions before getting braces myself!

Ilovetosmile232

#3 Post by Ilovetosmile232 »

did they have to take out the brace when they did the extractions???

Gennel

#4 Post by Gennel »

If your orthodontist says that you will get braces first and get extractions after, it means that your wire will NOT be in the way for the dentist to pull those teeth. My nephew got his braces on and he went to the dentist about 1 week later and had several teeth extracted and his wire and brackets did not get in the way. The teeth that need to get pulled will not have a bracket or attatched to the wire in anyway.

Gennel

noppi

orthos have diff methods

#5 Post by noppi »

A general answer is just because orthos haev different methods and what they think is best.

My ortho also braced me before I had extractions. I tried to get an answer and from my undersstanding it is because he wanted to make things nice and straight and correct first. Then after pulling the teeth all that had to be done was to close the gaps. Instead of closing the gaps AND straightening. Also it sounds like people on the forum have had teeth pulled out before braces, but the ortho doesnt yet work on closing the gaps right away until later.
11/11/05~8 Spacers
11/21/05~Spacers off, 8 metal bands
01/13/06~Braces
04/13/06~4 extract
04/18/06~1st adjust after extract