Questions - elastics, medications

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

srg1977

Questions - elastics, medications

#1 Post by srg1977 »

Ok, under the theory of no stupid questions....

I've just been in for an adjustment and got elastics. They are a triange pattern on both sides, and I only need to wear them while sleeping. But it turns out that they hurt so much that there isn't much actual sleeping happening. My usual pain meds don't seem to be helping much - barely even taking the edge off. So my question - does it get better (like the new wires do) and if so how long becuase i'm a little sleep deprived right now, or is this something that needs to be talked about with my ortho?

And on a totally separate note, any suggestions for how to take Tums/Rolaids that need to be chewed but there's no way that I can chew a hard tablet - soup is about my limit right now? Will they work the same if I just swallowed them whole? Turns out the doctor recommended that I take these with Aleve.

Thanks for the help!

Ravishing

#2 Post by Ravishing »

Sorry, I don't know about elastics.
As for the Tums, as an alternative, could you take something liquid like Pepto? Maybe if you talked to your Dr. and explained the situation s/he could recommend something different.

Hope you're feeling better soon
[/url]
Was braced for all 9 months of my pregnancy and managed to keep fresh elastics on during all 26 hours of labor!!

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

Yes, elastics do get better. I take midol for the night time pain as it has something in it (plus Tylenol) that makes me VERY SLEEPY.

I would take a liquid stomach medicine (Pepto Bismol) or the Tums that dissolve (I think they're called "smooth dissolve"). You can just let them melt in your mouth. Read the labels at the drug store to be sure.

My elastics are in 24/7 except for 1 that's only nighttime. After a few days they do stop hurting. :lol:

Try taking a Benedryl tablet with your pain medication or a Tylenol PM at bedtime and you should sleep just fine. Don't do it more than a few nights in a row so you don't get used to the drug indused sleep. Should help for a few nights anyway!!

Good luck!!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Jillianleab

#4 Post by Jillianleab »

I've had triangle configurations for a week now that have to be in 24/7. I didn't have too much pain to begin with, but it's gotten much better as the days go on. For instance, I've started munching on things like pretzles again! Hang in there, it gets better! As far as sleeping goes, Tylenol PM might help, but it can be habit-forming. There's an herbal pill called Melatonin you can buy almost anywhere that is a sleep aid. It's a naturally occuring enzyme in your body so it's non-habit forming, and you don't get the "hang-over" commonly associated with drugs like Tylenol PM. I take it sometimes and it just helps you gently ease into sleep; won't make you dopey or drugged-up feeling at all.

Hopefully the pain will stop soon and you won't need anything to help you sleep!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

Just to endorse what jennielee said, elastics do get better. I've got a box configuration on both sides which I wear 24/7. I got used to them after a day or two.

lionfish

#6 Post by lionfish »

Just to endorse what jennielee said, elastics do get better. I've got a box configuration on both sides which I wear 24/7. I got used to them after a day or two.

jennielee81

#7 Post by jennielee81 »

There's an herbal pill called Melatonin you can buy almost anywhere that is a sleep aid. It's a naturally occuring enzyme in your body so it's non-habit forming, and you don't get the "hang-over" commonly associated with drugs like Tylenol PM. I take it sometimes and it just helps you gently ease into sleep; won't make you dopey or drugged-up feeling at all.
Good point Jillianleab about the benefits of Melatonin. I use it a lot and it is fantastic, gentle lull to sleep rather than a sleepy feeling. I do, however, occasionally need a "GO TO SLEEP NOW" hit of something. :gavel:

Nice to hear from another Melatonin fan! I thougth I was alone :paperbag:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Dramagyrl

#8 Post by Dramagyrl »

I couldn't chew a vitamin C when I was getting a cold. It was blueberry flavour so I let it dissolve smaller before I bit it.

Gennel

#9 Post by Gennel »

Oh man :( I do know exactly how you feel. It does get better. For me it took about a 5-7 days. I've had elastics for a few weeks now and no more pain but I did not sleep for several days. Well I slept for like a total of 2-3 hrs each night. Tylenol/Ibuprofen did NOT work at all. I ended up taking some leftover Vicadin I had left from my extractions. It did help a lot the only bad thing was that it knocked me out and it caused me to suddenly snap my mouth shut really hard through the night , so that caused me to jump and sit up in so much pain. I ended up sleeping with a washcloth in the side of my mouth so I could not clench my teeth at night.
I feel completely fine now, it does get much,much better.

Gennel
I think the reason I was in so much pain is because I was put in heavy/strength elastics for the first time

snazzynazzy

Alternate Idea

#10 Post by snazzynazzy »

Well, this deviates from your dentist's plan, but seeing as every1 replied that it does get better, and I agree with them from my experience w/ the same config.... I suggest that you wear them in the day and take them off in the night, so you are wearing them for the same amount of time, just until you get used to them, then wear them in the night. It will save you the sleepless nights.

lionfish

#11 Post by lionfish »

Meryaten wrote: But failing that (at work, where - surprise surprise - I don't generally keep a rolling pin) I've used the bottom of a beer bottle.
You get beer at work? I want to work there too. :lol:

noppi

#12 Post by noppi »

you could ask the ortho to give you elastics that aren't as tight.
11/11/05~8 Spacers
11/21/05~Spacers off, 8 metal bands
01/13/06~Braces
04/13/06~4 extract
04/18/06~1st adjust after extract

Jillianleab

#13 Post by Jillianleab »

It's not like it's every day, mind you.
Sounds like my old job :) We used to have BBQ's every Friday in the spring and summer. We'd all stop working at about 12:30, eat a bunch of food and drink a bunch of beer. Bloody Mary Friday is what we called them :)

/sorry to threadjack!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

srg1977

#14 Post by srg1977 »

Thanks for all the suggestions - I live in hope that it will get better. I think last night was 5 hours straight, so it is gradual. Then I moved and teeth banged together and that was the end of that. The washcloth idea is a good one - I was thinking maybe cotton balls but that sounds better.

And I also want to work in a place where you can have beer bottles close at hand!!!