is this suppose to happen? (pic)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

paulosportz

is this suppose to happen? (pic)

#1 Post by paulosportz »

Heya all,

Not sure if this is suppse to happen but after my second ajustament with a new wire, the gap between my two front teeth are getting wider and wider each time i look. Now its starting to look abit weird and im just wondering if this is suppose to happen?

Just thought ill ask you guys first before i annoy the ortho about this.

So is this normal? and will the gap get wider cause i sure hope not

Thanks again!@

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Hi paulosportz, I've had a gap open up between my top front two teeth in the last few weeks, and it's much like yours. I expect it's meant to happen.....but will see what the ortho says in a month's time when next I go in.

paulosportz

#3 Post by paulosportz »

i guess ill bare with it for now but if the gap continues to widen ill seek some answers from the ortho then

tnx for the input guys

cheers

starryadora

#4 Post by starryadora »

Yes, that is normal. I just had an adjustment the other day and asked my ortho about that, as i have had a several gaps form in my lowers as well. He says they spread things apart before they bring them all tight together.

*~Currently retained in:
-Upper and Lower bonded retainers
-Upper QCM Hawley
-Damon Splint (night)
-Postitioner (as needed)

~*Orthodontic Assistant*~

rmwolf83

#5 Post by rmwolf83 »

I would have to agree with bracedagain, you probably don't need to worry too much. I also had the same thing happen with my lowers...I actually had two gaps open up between my centrals and laterals on both sides. Never had gaps there before! I just look at it as progress. My ortho was quite happy to see the gaps at my first agjustment....and I ended up getting my first power chain across my lowers that day too! I think having gaps in the begining is probably normal, your ortho will get them all closed up for you before you're through.

Good luck with your braces!

~Rachel

Debanding: 12/18/07!!! Yay!!!!!

Front Teeth Bracketed 7/25/2006
Back Teeth Banded 7/18/2006
Inspire Ice Uppers/front 8 w/ metal lowers
Treatment time: 19 - 26 mos.

jaswi

#6 Post by jaswi »

Even though my gaps are unsightly, every time I see them I just celebrate cause it means my arch is getting wider and I'm getting more room for my crowded teethies.

CLAmom

#7 Post by CLAmom »

I have a similar thing going on right now, too and it is to make room for a rotated tooth to turn. I'm sure your ortho had a plan in mind.

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

paulosportz

#8 Post by paulosportz »

any one here can give me an estimate as to when closing of this gap will begin?

im only 4months in. its just sucks cause this visilble to everyone when i speak being on my fronts, so it very noticeable and hope its not going to be like this for 12 months or something

cheers

=]

KriegeR

#9 Post by KriegeR »

I am just having powerchain-treatment to close two of these gaps that have formed during my brace work. The orthodontist will usually start with a soft powerchain, (one that is VERY stretchy), and will gradually change it for ones that are less and less so. Obviously the less stretchy chains have more pulling power between teeth.

I'm sure it isn't something your ortho would simple overlook.

MsTiaLia

#10 Post by MsTiaLia »

Like everyone else here, I too had some new gaps after getting braced. The way my ortho's assistant explained it was that the first wire's purpose is to loosen everything up and move some things around to kind of prep your mouth for the real move. This is probably going to be a HORRIBLE analogy, but have you ever played that game where there are about 10 squares with numbers on them and the numbers are all mixed up and you only have one open space, but you've got to get the numbers in the correct order? Well, even if the number 1 is in the right place, you may still have to move it just so you will be able to move the other squares. Eventually the 1 will get back in place, but it has to move around a bit first. Does that make sense? If not...I am soooooo sorry for the confusion :oops:

Oh, I'm 8 months or so in and I still have spaces that I didn't have when I started so be patient :wink:

MsTiaLia

MsTiaLia

UPDATE

#11 Post by MsTiaLia »

Ok, so maybe I jinxed myself by joining in on this discussion about new spaces. I went in for my 5th adjustment today and found out just how my dentist planned to close my new spaces...with a POWERCHAIN! And I just want to tell you that this does NOT feel so good. I think I'd rather play that little game with the numbers and squares:)

new boy james

#12 Post by new boy james »

Yep, reckon the gap is nothing to worry about. I developed 2 small gaps in my uppers but as soon as my Ortho put a powerchain on the gaps closed up. Get this; my gaps had completely closed by the time I had even arrived back at my car!!! Honest!! I looked in the rearview mirror and my teeth looked and felt tight as a drum !!!

Your gap will close when you get your powerchains. They rock!
"You get nothing but nothing if that's what you do" - Guns'n'Roses

starbaby71

#13 Post by starbaby71 »

I had the same thing happen with me. I didn't have a gap before I went to get braces but shortly after getting braced, a gap opened between my front teeth. It stayed there until my first adjustment when my ortho put a powerchain on. He said it was to make room for my other teeth.. like he was bringing them forward and that was why the gap was created? I'm not entirely sure but the teeth beside my front ones (which were always a bit behind it) are now coming out nicely so I'll trust what he says :D