Emotional Connection to others with orthodontics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Luke N.

Emotional Connection to others with orthodontics

#1 Post by Luke N. »

After the first few days of getting my braces i started to look at everyone's teeth and if they had braces i would feel like i had an emotional bond to that person. Then also a woman in a shop with braces who served me at the tills smiled in a really friendly way to me. This made me feel really happy etc.

I was just wodering if this was a common thing and if anyone else has felt similar things?
Last edited by Luke N. on Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

diande

#2 Post by diande »

Hi Luke :D
I haven't really had the experience with strangers YET but I definitely see it as something that will happen. Why, just look at the way we relate here :!: It is also true that as long as you get braces you tend to notice everyone else's teeth, all of a sudden I seem to be an ortho in my own mind and see whose teeth needs fixing too! My friend and I were talking about the same experiences recently :lol:

BTW, 2 days after I got braces, a worker in another dept came over to talk to me about them. She said she didn't think she would bother getting braces because her teeth weren't that bad. The next day, I find out that she was encouraged enough to go make an appt. to see an ortho to close up some spaces in her teeth!
Last edited by diande on Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Upper and lower bonded retainers; Upper Hawley for night time

DEBANDED ON FRIDAY 15TH AUGUST 2008 - FINALLY!!!

Braced on 13 September 2006 - Ceramic upper and lower brackets - Estimated time was 12 Months

Attagirl2

#3 Post by Attagirl2 »

Oh yeah, instant bonding.... Once I see another adult, and kids too, for that matter, we have something in common to talk about. I am in sales and it can be an ice breaker in some situations.

Hears to a great braces journey for you... :-88
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

MsTiaLia

#4 Post by MsTiaLia »

Hi Luke,
I know EXACTLY what you mean!!! I went to lunch with a co-worker a couple of weeks ago and after taking my co-worker's drink order, the seemingly timid waitress turned to me. When I opened my mouth to speak, she smiled the biggest smile I believe she was capable of and said, "Your braces are pretty." That's when I saw her braces! When she walked away, my co-worker said, "Geez! Do all of you have some kind of connection????" LOL

But it started immediately after I got my braces about 8 months ago. Even people who were brace free but had worn braces at some point in their lives would comment on them and tell me their brace story! It's like a club! LOL

katmc_tx

#5 Post by katmc_tx »

Hey Luke, I also seem to bond with other adults that have braces. I'm usually quite shy but I always start a conversation with other adults that are braced. I usually start by smiling and showing my grill and ask them so how long have you had yours on, how's it going etc...

I guess cause we are in the same boat(so to speak) I feel a conection with other braced people. Its kinda funny :D
Got my braces off 9/20/07 after 19 months and 3 weeks. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!

macca

#6 Post by macca »

Hi Luke,
I must admit I was the same after I got my braces in March. For some reason having braces made me start taking more notice of other peoples teeth, I'm still just as bad now. I was actually a bit surprised because the more I looked, the more I saw people all ages with braces (I hardly noticed any before). That made me feel better about having them.

I've had a few experiences of mutual recognition, but never dared start a conversation about them or been asked about mine.

Good luck with your ortho treatment, hope it goes smoothly, and not too long.

Betty Bat

#7 Post by Betty Bat »

There was an extended (and heated) discussion on this topic a while ago.

The bottom line was, don't assume that everyone you meet with braces feels the same way about braces that you do (no matter how you feel about your braces!)

jaswi

#8 Post by jaswi »

I know its definatly the same for me... Once I was with a date of and went to the movies and at the ticket counter a lady my age had a full set of braces and soon as she saw me this HUGE smile on her face crept out, and connecting with the fetish thread, I couldn't help but think how gorgeous her smile was.. one of these days I'm gonna go back and talk to her, maybe score a date ;). Also as I'm looking for a new car, I had a really good dealer that had braces, that tried to cut me a really good deal, though we didn't talk about braces you could tell he was thinking about not screwing me over..

Drama Queen

#9 Post by Drama Queen »

I know what you mean, before I started all of this I never looked at anyones teeth but now I always notice people's teeth. And since I have been in braces I have seen a few adults out and about with them too. It always makes me feel better because in the dark times you think that you are the only one that is going through this all.

Lau xx
Braced on 25 July 2006 Ceramic upper and lowers
Braces off on 3 April 2008