elastics question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Flora2006

elastics question

#1 Post by Flora2006 »

I'm sorry if this has been answered already, but do you all change elastics every time you take them out to eat and such? Or do you all put the same elastic back?

Thanks!

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Leslie022

#2 Post by Leslie022 »

If I'm taking them out then I'm going to put new ones in...it doesn't make sense to put nasty ones back in my mouth.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Attagirl2

#3 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi Flora, how often you change elastics depends on what your orthodontist wants you to do. I was instructed to change them 3 times a day, but as the bite improved, I was to only wear them at night. I would suggest you check with your orthodontist.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

Jillianleab

#4 Post by Jillianleab »

I agree with what Attagirl2 said - it depends on what your ortho instructed you to do. Mine told me to wear the same pair all day, and only change them in the AM. I'm also suppsed to keep them on while eating.
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

Apart from instructing me to wear them all the time, my ortho didn't specifically issue instructions on how often to change elastics. I asked one of the techies and she said to change them every time I clean my teeth (thus three times a day, after meals).

I don't think I could get through the day with only one set; I find that extended wear makes them a bit fragile and it doesn't take much jaw action to break them. I've had several snap on me while eating. Maybe I'm just "heavy duty" on elastics!

vivi

#6 Post by vivi »

uh oh I put the same elacstics back on! The dentist assintant did not say when I was supposed to change them and I forgot to ask! I dont even remember if I am supposed to take them off while I sleep. Today is my first day with elastics and is so uncomfortable! I thought I was going to have to wear them my last year but nooo I've had the braces for only 4 months. Oh I was going to ask you guys something else, where can I buy another bag of elastics the ortho only gave me a small bag and I dont think is going to be enough if I'm going to change them 3 times a day.

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

Ask your ortho for another bag. At the same time, you can ask how often you're supposed to wear and change your elastics.

alexa

#8 Post by alexa »

I put new ones in, unless I've forgotten them at home, in which case, the same ones have to do.

You should probably ask your ortho what he/she wants you to do though.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

Flora2006

#9 Post by Flora2006 »

Thank you guys so much for all your replies!

My ortho only told me to wear them at night and when I'm home...He knows how self-conscious I am about all this stuff so he went easy on me and said I didn't need to wear them when I'm out...but to wear them when I'm home and sleeping. That's all he said though. He gave me 2 bags though so I'm guessing I can change them a few times a day...

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006