why it costs me sooo much to do extractions!!!??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ilovetosmile232

why it costs me sooo much to do extractions!!!??

#1 Post by Ilovetosmile232 »

i live in Canada and going to have 4 bisuspid extracted.. I'm looking at $600-700!!! here is the breakdown of the cost: let me know if it looks right to u:

Gen.Anest - 3 unit = $264
Ivdrug dec/antib = $ 50
2 extraction = $140
2 Surgical extraction = $300
Total = $754 cnd = roughly $650 US!!

dose this look right at all?? why they have to do surgical extraction (is just bisuspid) ?? and do we really need to be drugged ??? why it costs soooo much!!! I know ppl in the forum have 4 of the bisupid extracted for only like $100-$300.

everyone said extraction is very simple.. just take about 10 min to get the teeth to pop out.. why it sound like a extreme surgery for me???

RainyDay2

#2 Post by RainyDay2 »

mmhh...i don't know about Canada but I paid $215 for only two bicuspids (upper). Local Anes.

Joual

#3 Post by Joual »

My extractions will be about $21-$22 per tooth (4 bicuspids) because of the dental insurance that I have through my job. My insurance covers 80% and I pay the other 20%.

I have a choice of local anasthesia or IV sedation. I'm going to go with the local, where they'll inject my gums 8 times.

How many orthos told you that you need biscuspids out? Did you get consults from at least 3 orthos?

stRaighteR

#4 Post by stRaighteR »

i have given up on wondering why dental procedures are so expensive...to have two of my wisdom teeth extracted cost $960... :shock: ...i'm wondering how much it's going to cost to have my first molar extracted...probably some outrageous amount of money...

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

stRaighteR wrote:i have given up on wondering why dental procedures are so expensive...to have two of my wisdom teeth extracted cost $960... :shock: ...i'm wondering how much it's going to cost to have my first molar extracted...probably some outrageous amount of money...
If you're going under and your wisdoms are impacted and/or lying awkardly in relation to adjoining teeth, this could be pushing up the price.

I had a wisdom pulled a couple of months ago for A$190. The tooth was fully erupted and in an upright position. The procedure was done under local and I was in the chair for all of 15 minutes.

Ilovetosmile232

#6 Post by Ilovetosmile232 »

I totally understand why wisdom teeths can cost over $1000, sinces normally it require surgery coz the teeth is much bigger and there is more root connected to it..

But the bisuspid!! I heard everyone here said it was a breeze... just 10min for each and they are off.. no pain.. no bleeding sometime... I just dont understand why is going to cost me almost $1000 to get thise done!!??

stRaighteR

#7 Post by stRaighteR »

maybe you should ask them why they need to perform surgery...my wisdom teeth were impacted...that's why i required surgery...maybe they noticed something with the bone or the root...so u should ask them...

Ilovetosmile232

#8 Post by Ilovetosmile232 »

but even without surgery.. Im looking at about $600.. is still too high compare to the rest of the people here.. some said they just paid $100-300

Flora2006

#9 Post by Flora2006 »

I had extractions and they weren't as expensive...but it depends on where you live, your dentist's asking price, etc...

The most I paid for an extraction was 160$ because it turned out to be a complicated removal. My other two costed me 70$ each.

Your price is kinda high...maybe you could ask why it's so much?

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

JoeMama

#10 Post by JoeMama »

It's a weird thing. I had my 4 wisdom teeth out back in 1994 and it cost about a $1,000 US. Granted I asked to be completely knocked out.

My husband had one of his out a few months ago with a local shot and it cost $75

I didn't have impaction or anything facy other than being a big wuss — but a "dental surgeon" did mine and a "dentist" did his. Maybe that's the difference :?:
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

rsprouse

#11 Post by rsprouse »

As it was stated fees vary significantly based on location. Overhead in dentistry is ridiculously expensive. You are paying for supplies, staff, expertise, and lots of training and experience. The root form of a premolar makes it easier to extract than a molar, but there are a lot of complications that can arise. Just because things go smoothly most of the time doesn't mean that problems don't happen and your doc is doing a good job of controlling the situation (which is worth the cost now isn't it?).

The cost to the original poster is a bit higher than normal due to the use of general anesthesia and the fact that two extractions will be surgical. I am not familiar with fees in Canada, but those fees are more than fair IMHO for most of the US.

Good Luck,
Rory

Ilovetosmile232

#12 Post by Ilovetosmile232 »

It's a weird thing. I had my 4 wisdom teeth out back in 1994 and it cost about a $1,000 US. Granted I asked to be completely knocked out.

My husband had one of his out a few months ago with a local shot and it cost $75

I didn't have impaction or anything facy other than being a big wuss — but a "dental surgeon" did mine and a "dentist" did his. Maybe that's the difference
So we can get our biscuspids extracted with a normal dentist???
I know I might run in to a few risks.. but i believe the risks justify the $ i'm saving