question about CLEAR RETAINERS

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

totheend

question about CLEAR RETAINERS

#1 Post by totheend »

I posted this in another forum, but will post it here in case nobody reads the other one....

my question is: if my ortho says "clear retainer" does she mean those invisalign type trays?? like the one worn here:

I'm getitng mine next week and I forgot to ask what they meant by 'clear retainers'.

Also, do they look liek the one in the picture?? 'cause that's not really invisible, it's pretty darn notcieable if you ask me. hopefully they fit more snug than that!!

anyways, please let me know what they mean by 'clear retainers'! I'm kindof nervous and dont' want to be surprised by what it is next week!!

iBorg

Retainers

#2 Post by iBorg »

Based on what my ortho showed me, that looks like a clear retainer. She then followed it up with "Of course with your grinding, you'll need a Hawley retainer."

I think the clear would be less noticeable than a wire running across your teeth.

Congrats and I wish I was looking to the end of the process instead of the beginning.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

jcdamon3

#3 Post by jcdamon3 »

I am supposed to be getting one two and it better be alot more invisible than that or I won't wear it.

Why would you have a hawley with grinding, because you would grind through it?
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

totheend

#4 Post by totheend »

so I'm guessing that is what a clear retainer is, right? I don't wanna be surprised by some crazy contraption....I think I worry too much :shock:

I am getting both the traditional type (with wire) and the clear ones. I would think the clear ones would be good for grinders cuz doesn't that block you from ruining ur teeth in ur sleep?

I don't know if I grind. neither my ortho nor dentist has really told me, they've asked me though....but I told them I didn't know and they kindof brushed it off :?

iBorg

Clear retainers

#5 Post by iBorg »

Clear retainers ARE great for grinders as long as they last. For me that's less than a month before they have pretty big holes where the molars are. Plus there will be a few small holes for the caninies. I anticipate two sets of retainers. One a conventional and the other with a bit of a bite plate added.

Grinding is one of the reasons I got braces.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

totheend

#6 Post by totheend »

perhaps you could ask for clear ones for just daytime...and then wear the other one at night.

Echo

#7 Post by Echo »

I have the clear Essix retainers and they look like the one in the picture. Although, mine does look like it fits a little better than the one in the picture. I don't really care what it looks like though, because I only have to wear them at night. I have only had them a few weeks, and they are already looking a little cloudy though. I soak them everyday in denture cleaner. I am thinking of asking for Hawley's at my next appointment though, because I hate the way my bite feels when I take them out in the morning.
[/url]

Samantha08

#8 Post by Samantha08 »

You should probably just call your ortho and ask him/her. They'd be the best to help you :0)
Estimated Time: 15-18 months

jcdamon3

#9 Post by jcdamon3 »

I think I clench more than grind and I tend to clench my front teeth. Yes, believe it or not. I keep catching myself doing it. I also grind the front. That is why my teeth in front are worn down. I will need a protector so that when I get bonding I can't damage the bonding. But yeah they better fit better than that picture.

That picture almost looks like whitening trays to me.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!