Ugly Betty - Your Reactions?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Samantha08

#16 Post by Samantha08 »

Well, we arent all wearing braces because our teeth were beautiful! lol! There isnt really any use getting offended over it because we all want them to come off too!
Estimated Time: 15-18 months

ghotieyes

#17 Post by ghotieyes »

I watched the first 40 minutes of the show tonight and only missed the last 20 b/c I had to shower before watching Grey's Anatomy, which came right after Ugly Betty. I think the show is hilarious. Definitely reminds me of Devil Wears Prada. I don't think the writers are targeting any one definition of "ugly." They just developed a character who was opposite of the stereotypical beautiful, ie short, chubby, clumsy girl w/ thick eyebrows, outdated glasses, shaggy hair, and no fashion sense. They channeled the awkward ugly duckling stage that every girl has had at some point in their lives and combined it all into one character, so I think everyone can relate to Betty to some degree.

Sherri

ugly betty

#18 Post by Sherri »

I really liked it. It was so nice to see a show with a sory line instead years and years of reality tv. I was so upset when aaron spelling died.

xtrememkovr

#19 Post by xtrememkovr »

I absolutely LOVE this show! I really came to love and care about Betty and her family (her nephew is a riot!) - and even her boss...hmmmmm.... I think he may have a crush on Betty by the time she gets done with him. Definitely will check out the show every Thursday!

X.

candygrrrl

#20 Post by candygrrrl »

Saw the show. Loved it. Hope it sticks around.

Some observations:

A. I don't find Betty ugly or chubby at all. In fact, I thought she was lit quite beautifuly in most of the shots and she has lovely skin and good bone structure. I also love the way she just lets loose with those huge, wide, braced up grins.

B. Despite her looks, Betty nonetheless seems to know who she is, what she wants, and isn't afraid to speak her mind. I have seen "unattractive" girls whose demeanor matched how they felt about themselves – overly apologetic, shrinking, etc. Betty isnt any of these things.

C. Gina Gershon's turn as Dontatella Versace – er, "Fabia" – was priceless.

Cor1

Different.............

#21 Post by Cor1 »

Well I am still in shock, that after all this time (years) that it took me to get braces..............the year I finally do, and show comes out with a girl in braces..............and its called UGLY BETTY........... well I'm glad my name isn't BETTY!! :lol: :lol:

I don't understand why they had to call it UGLY BETTY?? :? :?

Cause she isn't all that ugly and now with that name the first thing I was lookin at was HER BRACES!!!

And I don't think I am uglier with mine, I feel a whole lot more selfestim mine!!!!

Cor1

bbsadmin

#22 Post by bbsadmin »

I saw the entire show. I thought it was very smart and well done. I don't have tivo, but I'll probably tape it every week, because it's really hard for me to carve out an hour on a weeknight to stop everything and watch TV. I wonder in the future if they will focus on her braces at all -- eating stuff that gets stuck in her teeth (like spinach or shredded meat) as a source of embarrassment? Will we see Betty have an orthodontic appointment and then be in pain for several days? Will she find ArchWired on the internet? I guess we'll have to tune in and see.

And I agree, I do feel a bit sorry for any women named Betty who may be in braces at the moment -- hopefully nobody will be making fun of her!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

rmwolf83

#23 Post by rmwolf83 »

I absolutely loved the show! So much better than I anticipated. It broke my heart when she was made to put on that ridiculous get-up at the photo shoot. It was downright cruel! I didn't really notice her braces all that much. Her clothing was what caught my attention!!! The one thing that did bug me with her braces is that food didn't seem to get caught in them. They showed her eating a couple of times, and never once did she check her teeth!!! I wish I could get away with that...

I will definitely be tuning in next week, I just hope that they don't cancel it. Networks always seem to cancel the new shows that I like!

~Rachel~

Debanding: 12/18/07!!! Yay!!!!!

Front Teeth Bracketed 7/25/2006
Back Teeth Banded 7/18/2006
Inspire Ice Uppers/front 8 w/ metal lowers
Treatment time: 19 - 26 mos.

jennielee81

#24 Post by jennielee81 »

I also loved it. It was smart and funny. Felt more like a movie than a TV show.

It's being shown again tonight on ABC Family channel at 7:00 if anyone wants to catch it who missed it ... or missed the last 10 minutes of it :wink: ghotieyes

Well done!! LIke someone else here said, it's nice to see a new real show with actors and a script!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

NotBob1

#25 Post by NotBob1 »

My wife and I watched it, she kind of made me......at least I didn't have to watch Gilmore Girls reruns!!!! :)

It was OK....I will probably watch it again and see how it goes. She really isn't ugly, maybe just ditch the huge glasses and the throw rug! :wink: The plot seems interesting. I suppose we will see the son becoming attracted to Betty. The character is intelligent and driven; this makes her incredibly attractive. Kind of like my wife! Though she does not have braces......yet...... :twisted:
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

jllybllybtty

#26 Post by jllybllybtty »

unfortunately my name is betty and i do have braces and wear glasses... and all of my friends think it's the funniest thing on earth to say "have you seen ugly betty?"

iBorg

#27 Post by iBorg »

And your reply is "yes and next month I'm moving to New York and working for a fashion magazine. Want to come visit?" or "Can you believe my life is so wondrful they had to make a tv series about it? Wish they had got all the facts right. Can't wait for the checks to come in."

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

joney

#28 Post by joney »

It sounds like a great show. I can't wait for it to come to the UK. Positive female role models that are not hollywood perfection, that has to be a good thing. I just hope they don't end up doing the usual removal of the glasses / brace / makeover thing to show that she is really a babe underneath.

Joney

butterfly

#29 Post by butterfly »

And she has glasses - OF COURSE. The full set of uglyness. :x
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

bbsadmin

#30 Post by bbsadmin »

It sounds like a great show. I can't wait for it to come to the UK. Positive female role models that are not hollywood perfection, that has to be a good thing. I just hope they don't end up doing the usual removal of the glasses / brace / makeover thing to show that she is really a babe underneath.

Joney
Oh, I bet they will, but not until the very last show. If they did it too soon, it would ruin the whole concept. So I predict that at the very end, Betty will come into the office one day being 30 pounds lighter, wearing contacts, braces off her teeth, with a great new hairstyle. TV shows can be so formulaic...I'd be really surprised if it didn't happen. :roll:

There is ONE thing they forgot to give Betty: bad skin. Wait, two things: bad skin and dandruff....
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!