Why??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Paws917

Why??

#1 Post by Paws917 »

Yesterday, I went for my second adjustment. I am not having my teeth straightened, but rather the gaps between them closed. All they did yesterday was change the chains I have on my upper and lowers -- long for the uppers and medium for the lowers. They left the archwires alone. So why are my lower braces irritating my lip now when I eat? I mean they didn't do anything other than change the chains and I had no discomfort whatsoever before they did this. What the heck could the problem be?

bbsadmin

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

Well, you probably have a bit of movement from your adjustment, and since the brackets are hitting in a slightly different place, you have irritation. This used to happen to me. Sometimes the movement is very small, but nevertheless....
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Paws917

#3 Post by Paws917 »

Well, that makes sense. Thanks!

Erin

Chris

#4 Post by Chris »

When they put on powerchains on the entire arch, it seems my bite changes immensely that very same day! Our mouths are very sensitive to the slightest changes.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Paws917

#5 Post by Paws917 »

Thanks, everyone! My DH got braces shortly after we were married, but he had different issues than me. His teeth were very crooked and twisted whereas mine are basically straight, but lots of big gaps. I remember how much agony he'd be in for days after seeing the ortho, but I haven't had much pain at all. Certainly not like he did! Other than an occasional wire stick, I really haven't had much discomfort either. The gaps are closing -- I can see that -- especially the really big one between my front teeth. I'm so happy about that, because I think when your teeth are still bad AND you have braces, it makes you even more self-conscious. Every time I see an ad for orthodontics, the models always have braces on top of beautifully straight white teeth and I'd think, "Wow, that doesn't look too bad. I think I can handle that!" What you don't realize though is it takes a while to reach that point! LOL

Erin