Bridge Work and Worries

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BracedLondon

Bridge Work and Worries

#1 Post by BracedLondon »

I am getting braced shortly and have all sorts of worries! My latest one is that I have had some quite extensive bridge / crown work done in my teens following an accident. The Ortho says that she'll work round it and it shouldn't cause a problem - but does anyone have any experience of this?

Also (and this probably sounds a bit mad) but has anyone heard stories of - or experienced - things going disastrously wrong as a result of wearing braces? I don't know, things like teeth falling out or ending up worse than they were to start with?! I know I probably sound a bit neurotic but these things do worry me!

And finally, do other people go through the same concerns as me that this is a silly thing to spend money on given all the other priorities in life (ie I'm in my early thirties so that includes things like mortgages and savings)? My teeth aren't that bad (people often say they don't really know why I'm getting braces although I don't know if they're just being nice!) but I've always absolutely hated them and been embarrassed to smile!

Sorry - lots of questions on this post!

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

Crowns are fine as the teeth move with crowns.
Bridgework usually has to have the middle portion cut out.
Yes, everyone has plenty of concerns, before, during and after ortho treatment.
You are the best judge to decide if it is worth the expense, the time and if you can live with the final results (nothing is perfect...we hope for the best).
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

iBorg

#3 Post by iBorg »

I'm 48 with two kids in grade school. Getting braces in many ways seems foolish. But I have been ashamed of my lack of a smile for years. Prior to braces my teeth didn't show when I opened my mouth. My students now comment that I seem to be smiling more. Maybe I am. If so, maybe, I'm happy to finally being doing something about my smile or moving my lips to clear my brackets. Either way, I'm happier with my smile than before I started this. I can also justify this experience as a way to hopefully help with my grinding and my TMJ. I'm amazed at the progress I can see in three weeks.

On a professional level, I wonder if I have been hurt on job interviews due to my teeth. Its a simple fact that those who smile are viewed as friendlier than those who don't.

Is this the right time for you? You and your significant other (if there is one) need to answer that. The process is long and requires greater attention to oral health than brace free. I for one believe the effort is worth it.

If you decide to pursue, stick around. This is a friendly place.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

joney

#4 Post by joney »

Hi BracedLondon

I had the same concerns as you. I wondered if things could go disasterously wrong and I would end up in a terrible situation but I think you have to put your trust in the orthos as professionals. Also reading the stories on this site things always seem to going exceeding well and people seem delighted with their treatment.

I also know what you mean about other priorities. I will be 42 soon and I can say that since I had my children this is the first truly selfish thing that I have done, but you know what, I deserve it. If you want it, and getting your teeth sorted will make you happy, then go for it.

Regards
Joney :D

BracedLondon

Thank you!

#5 Post by BracedLondon »

Thanks for all your responses - I guess it's my decision in the end and I'm pretty sure I won't regret it. This forum is great for anxious patients like me!

MS1

#6 Post by MS1 »

I have quite a few crowns and I have a bridge on my lower left side. My ortho said not to worry about the crowns. The braces should not damage them. As for the bridge, he said mine should be ok. Some people do have to have theirs cut & replaced, but we are hoping to save mine and I sure hope we do.

Some people couldn't understand why I was getting braces either, but I am doing it for myself, not for anyone else.

Good luck to you with your decisions. Lots of great information can be found on this website. Happy browsing.

rsprouse

#7 Post by rsprouse »

Crowns are fine as the teeth move with crowns.
Bridgework usually has to have the middle portion cut out.
Bridges bring an extra variable into the mix, but they are not that often severed due to treatment. What Chris is talking about is severing the pontic (portion that is a fake tooth/non crown) and closing the space with orthodontics. It is an option in cases where there is crowding. But there are techniques to move the entire unit together. Also, if it is a 3 unit bridge there is less to worry about than a longer spanning appliance.

Good Luck,
Rory

lillibut

#8 Post by lillibut »

Hiya!

I'm really sorry, but I can't give any wise words about bridgework etc, I just want to say Im totally with you on the mortgage/ savings issue!

I'm 31 and at a time where I should maybe considering having a family with my husband, saving for our future etc, I am about to spend almost £4000 on having braces!

Half of me thinks I'm nuts, the other half thinks why not? I know I'll be happier when my teeth are straight, and I can actually give a cheesy grin rather than a closed mouth smile.

Although I must admit, I'm VERY nervous about the whole prosess!

Hopefully, with the help of this BRILLIANT website, we will know we've made the right decision when we can smile with pride and the have knowledge that it was money well spent! :D

simplywired

#9 Post by simplywired »

Hi - I had some of the same issues as you do. I have "a fortune" in crowns in my mouth and I had an expensive bridge. My teeth on top are relatively straight but my bite is off - I have a large overbite. It doesn't really show much when I smile but as the years go by I'm more and more unhappy with my profile - AND biting into my palate.

Long story short, I decided to take the plunge (in my case also have surgery in a year). When they went to cut the bridge in order to "fill the gap" with my crowded lower front teeth, they found some decay under part of it. There was no way to tell this from the xrays, etc. So thank heavens I decided to get braces or I would have lost that tooth eventually and been looking at implants or something. Now, I'll have - NO bridge and straight teeth, and "the perfect bite". I'm older than you and I certainly wish I had done this at your age - the years do fly by. They'll always be something to spend your money on, but this is really investing in your health. Good luck :D