First Adjustment, what do they do?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jbjalways

First Adjustment, what do they do?

#1 Post by jbjalways »

Well tomorrow will be my first adjustment since I got braces on 7/7. I have Damon braces, can someone tell me what they do at an adjustment? Change the wire?

I thought I read someone saying they don't always change the wires, but then what do they adjust since Damon's have no ligatures?

Please give me a heads up. Thanks.

7/7/06 Damon 3's on top, Damon 2's on bottom
03/18/08 Naked

Jillianleab

#2 Post by Jillianleab »

It all depends on your orthos plan. I have In-Ovation's (self ligating) and my first adjustment I got a new top wire, and two teeth on the bottom got brackets (they were too twisted at first to get them). The same bottom wire was put back on. You might get two new wires, you might get none! At my second adjustment I got elastics and no wire change, so it's really hard to tell what will happen. Good luck!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

simplywired

#3 Post by simplywired »

Hi - I got my braces on 8/15 - the Damons, just like yours (III on top, II on lower) and had my first adjustment last week. My uppers are fairly straight and in my case they decided to change that wire but my lowers which are quite crooked they didn't change - said my lower teeth still needed "more aligning". They hooked up the top arch to the molars but the lower molars are still not hooked up.

Anyway, it was a piece of cake - so good luck - hope yours goes as smooooooothly :D

SDFD TSchott

#4 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I don't know how the first adjustment will be for me because I haven't had an adjustment yet I have less then 1 week before I go for that adjustment.

SDFD TSchott
Code 4

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Gennel

#5 Post by Gennel »

Just like Karen said ,it really depends on what's happened since your last appt. My daughter and I are in braces and her first adjustment was totally different than mine. Sometimes the wire is not changed at all for several adjustments ,it all depends how your teeth are moving. I've been wearing the first wires for almost 4 months now. I still get butterflies right before my appt but it's gotten soooo much better than the first day. I was shaking in the chair the first day lol

Gennel

Izzy

#6 Post by Izzy »

My first adjustment is today also. I was baced on 7/12 and have Damons. It will be intersting to compare!

jbjalways

#7 Post by jbjalways »

Izzy - yes it will be interesting to see what happens. I'm nervous, but have seen great progress so far so I'm excited.

karen - so what is an adjustment if they don't change the wires? and I don't have ligs. do they bend the wires or move brackets?

I guess I will find out soon.

7/7/06 Damon 3's on top, Damon 2's on bottom
03/18/08 Naked