what do i do?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracestwice20

what do i do?

#1 Post by bracestwice20 »

hello. im an 18 years old male. i had braces from 12 to 15. recently ive noticed that my bite feels a bit off and one of my teeth has definitely shifted. a lot.

in my heart i know i should tell my parents and maybe get braces again, but i dont know if i really want to go through with it. i didnt really enjoy it too much the first time.

im also worried about facing people and having to explain why i have it a second time. it seems like such a hassle. :(

i think im also embarrassed to ask my parents for braces for some reason. i dont know what to do :(

sorry about this rant but i have to do it somewhere right?

~CanadianChick~

#2 Post by ~CanadianChick~ »

What about Invisaline? Have you looked into that option?
~Braces Added Valentines Day 2006~

Attagirl2

#3 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi Bracestwice20. If they haven't shifted too much, it might be possible to correct the movement with another method such as a retainer or bite positioner. They would both cost money, but not as much as braces. Per haps if you explained to your parents that you are willing to pay for the work, or if you have dilengently been wearing your retainer as prescribed, be willing to at least pay a portion. In any case, the movement you have had will only continue over the years. Do nothing now and your treatment time and money will increase over the years.

What is the worst your parents will do, if you speak to them about the situation? Be dissapointed, certainly, but kick you out of the house and disown you? I doubt it. This looks like one of life's lessons that you are having to learn. The mature avenue is to speak to your parents and correct the situation before it gets worse. Part of that maturity is to deal with the concequences of how to pay for the treatment and how to explain to your friends why you needed to do some correction to your teeth. Best wishes to you in whatever you decide to do.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

bracestwice20

#4 Post by bracestwice20 »

~CanadianChick~: i dont think invisiline would be an option. it costs too much from what i hear and both me and my parents would probably only want to pay the bare minimum.

Attagirl2: but the thing is it has shifted a lot. when i had gotten a retainer i was only told to wear it nightly for 6 months which i did. then they both broke and because my time was over we all thought there was no need to replace them.
one of my front teeth has shifted back to the point where my bottom teeth can go over it but not over other teeth(does that make sense?)
so i think braces really would be in order which worries me.
but you are probably right, i should just face the music and fix the problem before it gets worse.

iBorg

#5 Post by iBorg »

Wow.....history does repeat itself!

I had braces from 17-20. After a lot of bite issues, I decided that maybe I should talk to an ortho. It was scary to walk into my consult some almost thirty years after last seeing an orthodontist. This time I'm hoping to only have them 24 months. Oh yeah, my goal is to have them off for my fiftieth birthday.

If they are already shifting, they will continue. If you do it now your treatment time may be a lot less than if you wait ten or so years.

Good luck.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

bracestwice20

#6 Post by bracestwice20 »

so i told my mom this morning and she is going to take me to see the dentist this tuesday.
i hope i made the right choice. im still not too sure.

thanks a lot you guys.
i may rejoin the braces club after all.

stRaighteR

#7 Post by stRaighteR »

at least your mother is being supportive =)

Attagirl2

#8 Post by Attagirl2 »

Good move, Bracestwice. Whether you get braces again or not, you will know the facts and then can decide with that knowledge.

Wishing you the best in your decision...
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

Joanna20

#9 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey! My personal advice is you should get them.
#1 - You will eventually have to do that again.
#2 - Is the best thing for your teeth.
#3 - It bothers you.
#4 - Your parents are paying for it.

Good luck!

Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February