top teeth are hitting my bottom braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mbrooksay

top teeth are hitting my bottom braces

#1 Post by mbrooksay »

I'm 19 years old and just got braces on my top and bottom teeth this morning (i have very minor issues with my teeth and bite, but it's enought o make me want to correct them).

Normally when I bite down without braces I can touch my molars together in the back but now with braces on my bottom row teeth, my two front top teeth are hitting the brackets and I can't go down far enough to close my bite.

It's annoying the hell out of me and I have a good feeling I'm going to bite down on food one of these days and bust a bracket...

did the orthodontist screw up or are they suppose to be like that?

Jillianleab

#2 Post by Jillianleab »

I had the same problem at first. I complained to my ortho, and he said give it time, it will get better. Guess what? It did, and I never even popped off a bracket!

Good luck!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

Tin Indian

#3 Post by Tin Indian »

:( This happened to me at first to, having top teeth hitting the bottom brackets. I thought to myself what did he do but when I asked they said to give it time because of my bite and now they don't hit as bad . Hang in there it will change.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

Kat

#4 Post by Kat »

WTF? I'm about to recieve my bottoms soon and have the overbite as well and my teeth aren't thick but are very thin. I'm worried about not breaking my brackets off but BREAKING MY TEETH!!!
Ugh. That would suck major like.

Kat

#5 Post by Kat »

linda, I sure hope not! Already sinse I've been braced (about 6 weeks now maybe) I have started grinding anf crashing my teeth together at night. It's Sooo bad and I have chipped my top teeth! This is crazy to say the least. Yes I will need some kind of help in shaving them up when finished with this treatment BUT I don't mind a shave on the teeth but I DO NOT want to have to replace these teeth.

I's a huge worry.

mbrooksay

#6 Post by mbrooksay »

Well, I tried to eat food today. Turns out, I couldnt even chew it. I had to mush it with my tongue just like I had to when I got all four of my wisdom teeth out six weeks ago. The first chew I attempted turned out to be painful as hell, seieng I temporarily forgot I can't close my mouth like I used to, so I smashed my teeth against the brackets and it hurt for hours.

So you guys are telling me I have to not chew food for the "time" it's going to take me to get my overbite fixed? I think I am going to go insane. I have the good mind right now to rip off my bottom braces.

mbrooksay

#7 Post by mbrooksay »

linda21 wrote:
Other ways to combat chewing on food is to cut them into little pieces and chew on your back teeth as opposed to around the front of your mouth.
I CAN'T CHEW ON MY BACK TEETH! that's the WHOLE problem! My back top and bottom teeth (molars) won't make contact because of my lower braces, making it impossible to chew food. I'll be damned if I have to go three months like this.

I don't know even why they put bottom rbaces on me anyways, those are fine. Is it to fix my bite>? I have a slight overbite.. so what? I didn't go to the orthodontist to fix my overbite I wanted my top teeth to be a little more straight.

god dammit.

I'm not trying to be rude to anyone either. I am so frustrated right now with these braces. I hate them. I can't freaking chew food. I gotta let it sit in my mouth long enough to where it becomes mushy so I can swallow it.

GemGal

#8 Post by GemGal »

I would call your ortho immediately and ask him to help you out. He/she might not realize the severity of the issues you're having!

Cor1

Bite turbos for me..............

#9 Post by Cor1 »

Hey there, well even before they put on the braces, my ortho said I would have to wear two bite turbos behind my two front teeth, so as they (according to my bite at that time) would probably end up hitting my bottom teeth, which would result in broken brackets..............so they took some getting used to, cause then you REALLY CAN'T BITE DOWN ALL THEY WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And let me tell ya if ya try it FRIEKEN HURTS!!!!! :shock: :shock: So I would ask about those, never know might solve some of the problems you are havin right now.

Cor1

MrKadash

#10 Post by MrKadash »

I had the same problem when I got braced in late August. My ortho simply put a ball of some gritty material on two molars opposite each other and used blue light or something to cement it. I can't bite down all the way preventing my top front teeth from chomping my lower brackets. Takes some getting used to, but I'm glad he did it. There are ways to get around this problem....

Joel-

#11 Post by Joel- »

I am definitely going to have this problem...my front teeth close right in front of my lower teeth. So, they make it so you can't close your teeth all the way to prevent biting off the ligs? It sounds like I won't be able to eat much if that's the case.

tiggrr2001

#12 Post by tiggrr2001 »

I know I'll have the same problem as well. I'm already dying for a steak or burger or something and I'm just in spacers at the moment lol. I guess I should ask about this build up thing also? Is that a permanent thing or is it only temporary until the front teeth line up properly? Anybody know?

niknikc

#13 Post by niknikc »

I feel like the oddball here....my ortho never suggested any of the turbos, cement stuff, etc for that problem with me. She said she just put the top braces on and then in about 4-5? months she would put the bottoms on and that should keep me from having to deal with chomping on two brackets on the bottom. I go back back Tues. 10-10 should I be asking?

Lisa65

#14 Post by Lisa65 »

I was told I'd need bite turbos and my top teeth do touch some of my bottom brackets, but so far I've managed to live with it and avoid the turbos or molar build ups.

I guess all that might change once my top front teeth are eventually braced. At the moment my 8mm overjet prevents too much top to bottom contact lol

Higgy

#15 Post by Higgy »

I have to say that the language is what puts me off.......but otherwise, when I first got my braces I couldn't chew either...but now a few weeks later, I can chew much better....you just have to be really patient for the first few weeks, it does get better...I wouldn't go eating hard stuff...but there are plenty of easy to eat things out there.....and if the ortho just straightened your teeth, that could be worse than doing the full treatment, then you could have nice straight teeth with no function...the jaw has to be properly aligned.