First consultation, possible extractions & jaw sugery?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Joel-

First consultation, possible extractions & jaw sugery?

#1 Post by Joel- »

Hi everyone,

I am new to the boards. I'm 22 years old.

I had my first consultation at an ortho and the doc says I have moderate crowding on the lower and severe crowding on the upper. Also, I have a deep bite where my front teeth almost cover up my bottom teeth. I never thought, by the appearance of my teeth, that I had any moderate/severe problems. I knew my teeth weren't straight, but this sounds a little harsh to me.

Anyway, at the visit he tells me that I might need 2 upper teeth extracted to make room. Also, jaw surgery might be necessary to correct a bite problem. I don't like the sound of jaw surgery at all, especially considering that my teeth already seem to fit together fine. I would be ok with extracting a couple teeth but not with jaw sugery, so hopefully that won't be required.

Also, I was given an estimated treatment time of 18+ months (3M Clarity ceramic on upper and lower, I believe). $5600 total cost. Also, I paid $245 for xrays, photos, and impressions.

Does this sound reasonable?

I have scheduled another appt. in a couple weeks to discuss the treatment course and payment options in more depth.

tiggrr2001

#2 Post by tiggrr2001 »

Have you considered getting another opinion or possibly more than one different opinion? Sometimes different ortho's will tell you different things. :D

Joel-

#3 Post by Joel- »

Yeah, I considered getting another consultation just to see how the two treatment plans might differ. I did already pay for the intial records, but I could still get a second opinion, I suppose--and maybe the records are transferrable.

tiggrr2001

#4 Post by tiggrr2001 »

I;m not sure about that, but most consultations are free so you have nothing to lose. Unless, of course, if they won't give you the records to take to another ortho. I don't know how all that works. I probably didn't make the best choice, but I saw only one ortho and chose him. He came highly recommended from some people who see him at my dentist's office and also was on the preferred list for my insurance.

Joel-

#5 Post by Joel- »

I'm so impatient, I just want to jump right in. It's probably a good thing that I have to wait 2 weeks between appointments, since it gives me time to think it over.

I don't have any dental insurance, but I believe most orthos offer payment plans. The only reason I chose this ortho was because I was interested in getting Invisalign and invisalign's website had listed a few premier providers with the most experience, so I decided to just pick one.

The doc I'm seeing has 25 years of experience, which is good... he is friendly and I felt comfortable at the first visit. I feel like I need another consultation though just for the peace of mind.

tiggrr2001

#6 Post by tiggrr2001 »

If I were in your position, I would go with another since you feel like you need to for piece of mind. Also keep in mind that you might not be eligible for invisalign. I wasn't. As long as they say you're ok for it, then you're all set. I would definitely talk to another ortho though.

GemGal

#7 Post by GemGal »

I didn't qualify for invisalign either and I talked to three orthodontists before I picked one. It's weird to think you can shop around for braces, but it's such an investment and you're practically married to that dr. for as long as your treatment is required!

Jillianleab

#8 Post by Jillianleab »

I think another consultation is a good idea. The first ortho I saw told me I needed two extractions, jaw surgery and a treatment time of 2 - 3 years. The ortho I chose said no extractions, probably not surgery and 18 - 22 months. Treatment plans can vary a lot. If you aren't comfortable with the plan laid out for you, see what someone else says.
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806