Got Braced On Wednesday!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

GemGal

Got Braced On Wednesday!!!

#1 Post by GemGal »

Good Morning All!

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello! :-1

I just got braced on Wednesday and I'm in so much pain today! I am 27 and I am doing the powerprox straight teeth in six months method. I also have ice brackets. Anyone try this before???

The braces are really irritating the insides of my lips but I find the wax is helping me alot. I also find ibuprofen is helping with the pain. I'm still not eating regularly - it just hurts too much. And I'm still trying to get used to the special floss they gave me and flossing with these on is no picnic.

MrsF

#2 Post by MrsF »

Welcome GemGal!
I got braces a day before you, and my teeth are still pretty sore still too! Everyday it feels a bit better though. I tried flossing and it hurts too much, so I think I will still give it a couple of days before trying that again!

GemGal

#3 Post by GemGal »

Congratulations on your new braces! My orthodontist made it sound like flossing is life or death with these things on. I am so glad it's just not me. I'm doing the same and waiting a few days.

NatalieMac

#4 Post by NatalieMac »

Hello GemGal!

I got braced on Wednesday too. Ugh. I'm still pretty sore. Jamba Juice is my new favorite restaurant.

You'll be done way before me, though. Six months? Whew. I'm jealous. I'm looking at 18-24 months.

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

hi Gemgal

Can you say more about this 6 month method? I never heard of that before. How does it differ from "normal" braces treatment?

starryadora

#6 Post by starryadora »

Welcome!

*~Currently retained in:
-Upper and Lower bonded retainers
-Upper QCM Hawley
-Damon Splint (night)
-Postitioner (as needed)

~*Orthodontic Assistant*~

HazyBraceFace

#7 Post by HazyBraceFace »

congratulations on getting your braces GemGal!!! :-)o

i got mine this friday :-#) my ortho said i will be having them on for about 18 months.

i've never heard of these powerprox braces before - how do they straighten teeth in just 6 months!??? sounds a bit scary :?

Gennel

#8 Post by Gennel »

is this the accelerated braces? The only other ortho treatment that I've heard that was this fast involved surgery . The gums are pulled back and the suporting bone around each tooth is shaved off so the roots are already loose,stitches around all teeth and adjustments are like every 2-3 weeks? Is this what talking about ?

Gennel

Lisa65

#9 Post by Lisa65 »

I looked it up and the web site is very vague about exactly how it's acheived. Professionals wanting to know more have to pay $300 for a book and there is no detailed explanation available for the layperson.

From what I was able to gather, it's pretty much same as regular braces treatment except that the cosmetic appearance is the seller. LIke with regular braces you can choose to have lingual, ceramic, metal etc etc. It said it wasn't recommended for people with bite issues or TMJ. So I would imagine it's a combination of braces and enamel shaving/IPR to make the most of the available space, but without worrying too much about bite issues and jaw alignment.

I guess if you had no problems with your bite or TMJ, and you just wanted "straight teeth" in the shortest possible time, it would be an avenue to explore. What concerned me was that this web site was taking the tack of telling orthodontists how much chair time they could save and thereby how much extra money they could make by using this method.

Gennel

#10 Post by Gennel »

Yeah , I just googled it also and all the sites say pretty much the same thing. It's basically used to move the upper front 4-6 teeth. It does not say how they do this in 6 months. I guess if bite is not an issue then you can get pretty straight top teeth in 6 months. I started with severe, I mean severe top crowding and lower crowding.Oct. 14 will be 4 months ,the change is extremely dramatic. The avatar I have is of my current smile.My ortho said that I would have straight top teeth in 6 months and I really believe him now! I just need 1 more tooth aligned and that will be done by Christmas :) I still have a 2 yr treatment for other issues on lowers.

Congrats on taking plunge!

Gennel

diande

#11 Post by diande »

Just to say Welcome! :)
And also curious to learn more about your treatment!
Upper and lower bonded retainers; Upper Hawley for night time

DEBANDED ON FRIDAY 15TH AUGUST 2008 - FINALLY!!!

Braced on 13 September 2006 - Ceramic upper and lower brackets - Estimated time was 12 Months

GemGal

Got Braced on Wednesday *Update*

#12 Post by GemGal »

Thank you all for the welcome! For those of you interested, this is my story and an explanation of the six month braces.

I have tried to get braces before, but my parents did not want to subject me to all the jaw surgery they suggested when I was a kid. I've been to a couple orthodontists over the past few years trying to learn about invisalign and to see if there were any alternatives. I was told 3 to 3 1/2 years each time with surgery and extractions and NO invisaligns for me. Of course I said that I wasn't going to spend the rest of my twenties in braces.

Then I heard about the six month braces and I went in for a consult. From what I understand it to be, I'm only getting the cosmetic appearance of a straight smile without the surgery, extractions, etc. Any major jaw issues are not being corrected. And honestly I don't care. I've been living with my bite quite happily and it was never a reason for me to go to the orthodontist.

I will start a journal in the "Our Braces Stories" message board. As soon as I'm allowed to, I will also post pics if anyone is interested.

Thanks for listening!

XOXO
GemGal :D

tamsteve

welcome

#13 Post by tamsteve »

congrats on your braces!!! :-88 When i first got my top braces i was so sore and yeah my bite was so weird! I noticed i grinded my teeth too. But, now going on two months i've gotten so use to them!! I also had a abcessed molar where they put the molar band, that was painful but, not to bad. I go tomorrow to get my bottom braces and i'm sure the top will be adjusted. So, now that i'm use to eating anything it's back to the soft food diet :-(( But, i am glad it's finally gonna be done!!! I have a story to on this site....i need to update pictures too...good luck :)