Molar Bands - worried that teeth underneath aren't clean

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

babykitten75

Molar Bands - worried that teeth underneath aren't clean

#1 Post by babykitten75 »

Hi There

I was just pondering the fact that I have molar bands on my back teeth and that I can only clean the tops of those teeth so does that mean they can be negatively affected because around the teeth CANNOT be brushed, flossed or rinsed?

What if tiny pieces of food are stuck in between the tooth and the inside of the molar band - it will rot there for the two years I will have my braces on? I'm a little worried about this since I cannot brush under the bands.

Has anyone ever heard of molars deteriorating due to not being able to be brushed, flossed, rinsed, etc.?
3 teeth extracted: Thursday, July 20, 2006
2 teeth extracted: Thursday, July 27, 2006
5 spacers put in: Tuesday, August 8, 2006
Spacers out, full braces in: Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Brace Treatment Time: 22 - 26 months.
(It has now been 26 months. I hope they will be OFF soon!)

Way Too Old For This

#2 Post by Way Too Old For This »

babykitten, food shouldn't be able to get between the molar bands and the tooth if the bands are attached correctly. As far as flossing, you should be able to floss. My molar bands are so close to my gumline that I was worried about not keeping that area clean enough but I use a WaterPik, and after the first 6 months of braces my hygenist said they were fine. I spend extra time with the WaterPik in that area.

I go for my next cleaning next month, so we'll see.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

There's a remote possibility that it can happen but it's very unlikely. The bands are cemented onto your teeth so there shouldnt be anywhere food can get trapped between the band and the tooth.

You can floss between the band and the adjacent teeth and if you have a waterpik then you can squirt around the bottoms of the bands between them and the gum. Use a fluoride mouthwash daily to inhibit plaque forming.

If when you floss round there there's a nasty smell, that would indicate a problem with food being stuck, but other than that, you should be fine.

Xero

#4 Post by Xero »

Buy a Waterpik. I always use it at the bands and food flies out.
About three years since being braced. Changed ortho twice, so it's hard to keep track.

A very special thanks to KK & linda21 for constantly reading my log. Thanks!