Braces on the 4th of nov!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Amy19

Braces on the 4th of nov!

#1 Post by Amy19 »

Hi,

I'm new to this message board, but i have checked it a couple of times and i think everyone here is really nice and supportive.

I went for my 1st consultation today, and everything went ok. I found out i need to be a metal mouth for about 12 months, which i can handle! and i dont need any extractions sooooo happy about that! but because of that i need to have enamel shaved off 4 of my teeth! im not sooo happy about that because i swear you need that! or your teeth decay. My ortho said you wouldnt be able to see any difference. Has anyone else had this done?

I also had another shock, that she wants to put my braces on my next visit! i was like ok soon! but she wants to start as soon as possible, the only thing that is annoying is that my best friends wedding is 6 days after having them put on! so i will have to make my maid of honour speech, i hope people can understand me!!

sorry for the journal i just wrote, lol :D

Amy x

joney

#2 Post by joney »

Hi Amy19

My daughter has been told that she will need to have her two front teeth shaved at the end of her brace treatment, We have been reassured that it is ok. Those teeth are very long compared to their neighbours so it makes sense.

Good luck with the fitting. Lucky you don't need extractions, I will need two!

I'm sure that people will understand you at the wedding unless of course your speech is slurred if you've had too much to drink. (Bad joke) Come to think of it you could always use the brace as an excuse if this is the case.

Regards
Joney :D

Amy19

#3 Post by Amy19 »

thanks soo much!

i'm going to stop thinking about getting my braces on because im just going to wind myself up about it! ill just have to wait till the day comes and grin and bear it, even if it is with metal in my mouth lol

and ive had an idea of having purple elastics put on to match my brides maid dress, so i can wear my braces as an accessory haha

ill try and post some pics of before and after to :D

amy x.

iBorg

#4 Post by iBorg »

Good luck.
Most people on the list will tell you that the first few days with the spacers are the worst. The important thing is this is a procedure (most people on this forum refer to it as a journey) that hopefully will make a positive improvement for the rest of your life.

As for wisdom (thanks to KK), this is what she was told from her ortho on the day she got her braces:

The best gift I got on that day ... was many wonderful words of advice ...

Don't let braces change your daily life ...
Let this be a positive experience ...
Braces don't stop you from doing things, you do that ...
Attitude is everything ...
"Call me tomorrow and let me know how wonderful the first 24 hours have been."

Welcome to the board.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Tin Indian

#5 Post by Tin Indian »

Amy19,
Congratulations on your decision to get braced. Don't worry about getting your teeth shaved. I had that done last week and its called an I.P.R. It was quite painless and it fell like someone shining my shoes, a lot of noise and vibration.I sweated bullets about getting an I.P.R.over nothing.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

Amy19

#6 Post by Amy19 »

do they use local anistetic (cant spell lol) or do they just go a head and start shaving away?

I have to have 4 teeth shaved down 6 weeks after having my braces on so it means they have to take them off and put them on again, such a long process!!

Amy x.

Amy19

#7 Post by Amy19 »

she said that she would have to remove the brackets because the procedure is happening on the 4 main teeth she is moving on my bottom. and because the shaving is happening at the sides not at the top, she won't be able to gain access with the brackets on.

Im hoping she wont, because i want to spend as little time in the chair as possible! haha

amy x