Random numbness in my lip/chin - has this happened to you?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lesdents

Random numbness in my lip/chin - has this happened to you?

#1 Post by lesdents »

I don't quite know how to describe it, but the left side of my chin and lip area is a little bit numb for no apparent reason. It started a couple of days ago, a few days after my last adjustment.

Also, when I open my mouth wide, that same area gets tingly, like a limb that's waking up after falling asleep. Also, when I open my mouth and it happens, it seems to make a slight pulling sensation on my bottom left teeth, near a gap they're trying to close up from an extraction.

I can't see anything wrong in the area that could be causing it. I guess I should call my ortho about it, but I was wondering if anyone else had had that happen. I worried it was some kind of nerve damage or something from the braces....

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

Call your ortho and dentist right away.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

GemGal

#3 Post by GemGal »

Chris wrote:Call your ortho and dentist right away.
I agree! You shouldn't wait.
XOXO
GemGal

rsprouse

#4 Post by rsprouse »

Any swelling going on? Have you noticed your ears are a bit itchy or popping lately? I would get a PA (x-ray) of your lower left to rule out a few things. You are nice and young correct, that is a good thing? I am sure it is nothing to worry about, but give your dentist a call and get in for an exam as soon as you can.

Regards,
Rory

lesdents

#5 Post by lesdents »

Thanks for your responses, everyone.

Yeah, I will call my ortho tomorrow. It just happens to be midterm week, and I'm going out of my mind busy, so I've been ignoring it, which is SO bad of me.

I don't see any swelling. And it's not entirely numb, just like when a novacaine shot is still wearing off... I'll call my ortho tomorrow and report back to y'all. That way, future sufferers of this phenomenon will have some kind of guidance.

I hope it's nothing serious...

lesdents

#6 Post by lesdents »

Called the ortho, she says she hasn't heard of that happening, except in cases of oral surgery. She thinks the roots of my teeth could be pulling on a nerve or something... great!

Anyway, I'll go in on Monday to see why this is happening.

rsprouse

#7 Post by rsprouse »

Chris,

I saw a patient a few months ago with similar symptoms regarding loss of sensation to the right lingual gingiva, lower lip and tongue. He also presented with a slight droop in his eye and the left face. Turned out that he had an infection with no visible swelling. It was present on the IOE, but very minor. A course of antibiotics restored feeling to the patient within a few days. Infection takes the path of least resistance, so if it is in certain isolated areas it can in fact put pressure on a nerve and cause symptoms that you are experiencing. I am not suggesting this is what you are seeing, but realize that it has happened to others and the problem was corrected.

Good Luck,
Rory

lesdents

#8 Post by lesdents »

Thanks so much for the idea, rsprouse. I wonder...

Well, I spoke to my ortho and two other orthos in the UCLA clinic, and they said that while they'd heard of that happening from oral surgery, they hadn't heard of it happening from braces alone.

They had me take another x-ray, which I did, and I have an appt. tomorrow so they can try to figure it all out. They took out the wire I had on the bottom (a stainless steel), to see if relaxing the amount of pressure on my teeth would make it go away. It has gotten a little better, but not completely.

I will mention the possibility of an infection to them and see what they think. Fortunately, I haven't experienced much swelling -- or any droop in my face -- and it seems to be getting better. Do you know why he got infected or how?

I'll keep y'all updated about the whole ordeal!

rsprouse

#9 Post by rsprouse »

I will mention the possibility of an infection to them and see what they think. Fortunately, I haven't experienced much swelling -- or any droop in my face -- and it seems to be getting better. Do you know why he got infected or how?

I'll keep y'all updated about the whole ordeal!
Bacteria that the body couldn't fight off on its own :)

The fact that it is getting better is very promising. I am always hesitant to prescribe antibiotics unless there is a visible infection. A thorough clinical exam will present with some sort of swelling if you have an infection, or you will see it on an x-ray. May just turn out to be some sort of idiopathic disorder. Regardless of what happens, make sure you have annual follow ups on this one in the future. You can even mention it to your general dentist so s/he checks it annually when taking BWX. Good Luck.

Best,
Rory