Do you stand out in a crowd?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sherri

Do you stand out in a crowd?

#1 Post by Sherri »

Do you find since having your braces put on people remember who you are? I notice that sales clerks and people working in restaurants will say Oh I remember you and I think its because the braces seperate us from the rest of the crowd! :lol:

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Blimey! Maybe I need to get out more.

juf_84

#3 Post by juf_84 »

Yep, definintely!
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

Ravishing

#4 Post by Ravishing »

Not really but last night some guy at the grocery store smiled at me. I smiled back and he did a double take. I think thats the first time I've noticed someone really pay attention to my braces.
[/url]
Was braced for all 9 months of my pregnancy and managed to keep fresh elastics on during all 26 hours of labor!!

GemGal

#5 Post by GemGal »

Since I have the clear ICE brackets, most people don't notice right away :jump: , but I find people wondering what's going on in my mouth and doing double takes or looking at my mouth too long.
XOXO
GemGal

JoeMama

#6 Post by JoeMama »

I've noticed this. I think of it as the "standing out because I have something different" effect. And you're right, it's sales clerks and folks in restuarants. I don't mind it, but I always wonder what goes through their heads... "oh, it's the braces lady" :D great :?

Oh well, I'll probably be dissapointed when they're off and I blend in with the crowd again.
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

iBorg

#7 Post by iBorg »

With my ceramic tops on, my braces aren't that noticeable. I'm sure when I get more hardware I'll be a lot more noticeable. What I do find is that if I see another adult with braces we able to start up a conversation very easily.

mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

violinist

braces

#8 Post by violinist »

i m a rather weird person seeing as how i love braces and i like to se other other pple s braces right i'll be talking my guidance counselor who has weirdly eough known me since i was 3 yeah so ill be talking to her nd ill be staring @ her braces in a good way cept when she got food stuck in them its not very pretty. but i find her braces to be coool cuz she got clear /white braces on the top row and regular onb the bottom. i feel mean now.lol. nah i really do though.

Jillianleab

#9 Post by Jillianleab »

I had two situations recently happen to me, but I don't know if they are braces related or not.

1. I'm a landlord, and had two bum tenants living in my property who didn't want to pay their rent until the Sheriff deliverd a notice to their door. So, for 4 months straight, I was going to the Sheriff's office to file notice. I think it was month 3 that the girl at the counter said as I walked in, "You're back AGAIN???" I don't know if the braces were what made her remember me or not. I hope not!

2. Hubby and I went out to dinner at a place we frequent. Our server came over and started the whole, "Hi, have you guys been here before?", but instead just said, "Hi, I remember you guys!" Again, hopefully not braces related.... we really do go there a lot!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

Higgy

#10 Post by Higgy »

Could just be that I'm a bit self-conscious at times...but I'm the ONLY person at my school with braces....

Matty

#11 Post by Matty »

I have noticed this too! I have also had those same people say "Wow, you've had braces forever!" This makes me laugh since I've had them for less than three months. :lol:

PrincessMelody

#12 Post by PrincessMelody »

I don't think I stand out in a crowd but I do look young. I look like I am in High School even though I'm a college grad. I think I've always stood out in a crowd because of my height. I'm 5'10" which isn't really that tall but I always seem to be around people much shorter than me and I just stick out, lol.
Check out my braces story by clicking the WWW
28 months and 22 days in braces
Now in an upper and lower Hawley retainer.

iBorg

#13 Post by iBorg »

When I first posted to this I didn't have my bottoms. I do now. I can tell you two things after two months of full wires. I don't zoom in on braces, although it does make a topic of common conversation. What I notice is paople with perfect teeth. I REALLY want to ask who did their teeth and only hope to have such a great result.

As for standing out in a crowd, I only do if I'm wearing my clown nose.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Catmom

#14 Post by Catmom »

I tend to stand out in a crowd anyway as I am a bit of a DIVA, but having braces has certainly added a new dimension to this!!! I laugh alot, so, with my Christmas decorations permanently attached to my mouth, people are always commenting on them!!!

I'll try and send some pics so you can get an idea of why I stand out!!!

:frogbraces:

Tin Indian

#15 Post by Tin Indian »

:lol: I tend to think it as a magnetic pull, just like the North and South poles. Why else would anyone like to stare at my mouth when I talk? 8)
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08