Strange or fetish emails anyone?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbsadmin

Strange or fetish emails anyone?

#1 Post by bbsadmin »

Today a couple of people reported that a new member had sent them a fetish email.

That same person tried to post a fetish message in the guestbook.

Has anyone else gotten any strange emails or PMs in the past few days?

Please let me know, and include any header information with any IP addresses in them.

BTW, he is now banned.

I want to remind you guys to hide your email address in your profile, and not post it in any messages. This way, nobody can see your email address but me and you.

-Lynn
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

I haven't got any from here, but there is a German braces forum (I expect you know the one I mean Lynn - I won't put the link here lol). I joined it before realising that it was in fact a fetish site.

Of course while I was there I thought I'd have a look :lol: Scrolling through their links forum I found a specific mention of ArchWired as a good resource for those fetishists wanting to add to their collection of pictures.

Another good reason not to show full face pics of yourself on here.

ziggyziggy

#3 Post by ziggyziggy »

just to be fair, how do we its a he??? :oops:

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

ummmmm often because their fetish e-mails describe the "state" of part of their anatomy, or include pics of said parts of anatomy :D

The one I got (which was from the other site not this one) started off with a guy asking me if I'd like to see a pic of his braces, so I naively said "sure"

The pic that arrived showed his braces, certainly, but let's say other things were on view as well. :lol:

joplin

#5 Post by joplin »

Scrolling through their links forum I found a specific mention of ArchWired as a good resource for those fetishists wanting to add to their collection of pictures.
Another good reason not to show full face pics of yourself on here.
Lisa 65, thanks for sharing this important piece of advice!
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

flowrs04

#6 Post by flowrs04 »

A couple of Days ago I got an email from a guy that found me at archwired he commented about my post. I kinda thought it was wierd.

Lisa65

#7 Post by Lisa65 »

If your e-mail is visible in your profile, flowrs04 (which it is) then you're going to get that kind of thing happening. You don't have to be a member here to read posts, so basically our personal info is available for anyone who visits this site.

If you would prefer not to get unsolicited e-mails from people with a fetish for women and young girls in braces, it's probably best to hide your e-mail address and also your IM details. :D

bbsadmin

#8 Post by bbsadmin »

Yes, this is all very good advice.

I also want to tell you something else you may not know. Let's say that you have a personal website which isn't mentioned at all on this forum. But, you have some photos from that website that you posted here. A person who is web-savvy can very easily look at the html/php code for your post and see where the photo was uploaded from. If the website you uploaded it from has personal information on it, then you can be tracked down that way. The best way to assure that this doesn't happen is to post your pics via something like photobucket.com or imageshack.us. If you do post pics that are downloaded from your personal website or blog, make sure that no identifying information (including your email address) is on there.

It's a shame we have to be so paranoid, but unfortunately that is the society we live in these days.

I do my best to ensure that the fetish people do not bother the members of this message board. But it's almost impossible to stop them from lurking. One of the things they like to do is become a member but never post anything. Then they PM or email people. This is one reason why I have a new rule that a member who joins must post within 30 days. After 30 days with zero posts, the membership is deleted. When a member posts, the board captures their IP address -- which I can then use to ban that member if necessary. If they don't post, I have a harder time with it, although it is still in the system logs -- it's just more difficult to obtain it.

In addition, if you ever get an email that disturbs you, PM or email me with the FULL HEADER of the email. The header usually contains IP information which can help identify the person.

-Lynn
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

joney

#9 Post by joney »

Thanks for looking out for everybody Lynn.

I have two teenage daughters who love the net and I do worry about these things. Kids say their are savvy but a look at myspace and you can see that you wouldn't need to be a great detective if you wanted to target somebody.

This site is great and supportive and it is a shame that we have to worry about this sort of stuff.

Regards
Joney

Lisa65

#10 Post by Lisa65 »

You're right Joney!

I have 2 teenage stepdaughters who do not live with us, but are net-mad. I was browsing the profiles of the people on my MSN Messenger the other day and noticed that the younger stepdaughter (13) had her full name AND address visible on her profile :shock: needless to say I e-mailed her and told her to get it sorted immediately.

The net poses a whole new set of issues for youngsters that we oldies never had to worry about.

Chris

#11 Post by Chris »

How anyone could have a fetish about braces is beyond my comprehension. Image
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

weird_wired

#12 Post by weird_wired »

I remember the weirdo that pm-d me when I first joined this site a year back. At first I thought it was a genuine enquiry, but I kept my reply brief and vague. Then back comes this response that had ignored what I said, asked the same question again about my treatment, and asked for medical details/graphic kind of stuff. I knew instantly this was someone who was trying to get off on it.

So I don't think that they go for the kind of Lolita "schoolgirl in braces" type thing, I think they're more into the idea of weird contraptions and machinations and medical treatment. Very very odd and freaky. The schoolgirl "cute" thing I could understand (though I'd want to protect young women from these people whatever the case) but the medical/operation stuff? That's just sicko. I have a broad mind, but someone into that is really twisted and needs psychiatric treatment.

jcdamon3

#13 Post by jcdamon3 »

When a member posts, the board captures their IP address
Unfortunately if the person has dynamic IP, this may not work. If you get their MAC address it would be alot better. The MAC address is unique to the computer. Any laptop with a wireless can go anywhere and pick up a whole new IP address.

Having said that this won't keep people from going to the library, etc. If they really want to do this, they can do it.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Lisa65

#14 Post by Lisa65 »

I'm not sure what the attraction is really. Some of them seem to associate braces with youth and innocence, but as weird_wired says, others seem to have a fascination for all the apparatus.

That guy who PM'd me from the other site had real braces, but apparently the headgear he was wearing in the pic he sent me was fake. There's places (specifically aimed at the fetish market) where you can buy all that stuff, including fake braces actually made to fit you.

I'm not anti-fetish, because to each their own, and the fetish itself is harmless enough. I don't agree that fetishists are sickos. We all have our little quirks. It only becomes a nuisance when fetishists are bothering "genuine" braces wearers with unwelcome correspondence.

Dramagyrl

#15 Post by Dramagyrl »

I got an email just today.

In the email the individual specifically stated they read my blog on archwired and found my story interesting. Then they asked if I got my braces and if I have had any trouble dating since. "I would love to hear from you," he concluded.

Anyone who has read my profile would know I got them, or see the progress photos. I think I've said in there quite clearly that I am not dating lol.

I'll check if I have my email displayed and change it, but just wanted to say I got one too.

I think it's great the message board has the PM option and that's what I use to contact some of the people I talk to closely with this site. There's no reason to go beyond that connection unless you know each other well enough, so I knew as soon as the message came that it was not right.
(That or the fact that his email address was something like HotGuy69 lol!)