Slime, slime, slime. What the heck???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rmwolf83

#16 Post by rmwolf83 »

Crest Pro Health rinse does not contain any peroxide. The active ingredient is CPC. It basically attacks plaque and causes the cell membrane to breakdown and the plaque cells burst. The "clumps" that people are seeing on their teeth are accumulations of plaque getting caught on brackets. It is broken down so the plaque can no longer attack your teeth. So the "chunks" and "stringyness" may look bad but it is the rinse doing a good job at removing plaque that was left after brushing and/or flossing. As always, YMMV.

Regards,
Rory
That's really cool....I think I'll just put up with the stringiness! So, should I brush, floss, rinse with the Pro Health, then brush again? Any thoughts from anyone? Also, is it possible to overdo it with the fluoride rinses and toothpastes? My dentist gave me Prevident to use, but my teeth just don't feel clean after I use it. So I prefer to use my toothpaste of choice and then, since I need some sort of fluoride due to my decalcification, I use the Phos Flor rinse that my previous dentist recommended. Is one better than the other? It looks like the Phos Flor rinse has more fluoride in it than the Prevident. That doesn't make sense to me..... the rinse is OTC and the paste is an Rx. Any way, I usually use the rinse at night and the paste in the morning. Is that bad?

~Rachel~

Debanding: 12/18/07!!! Yay!!!!!

Front Teeth Bracketed 7/25/2006
Back Teeth Banded 7/18/2006
Inspire Ice Uppers/front 8 w/ metal lowers
Treatment time: 19 - 26 mos.

rsprouse

#17 Post by rsprouse »

That's really cool....I think I'll just put up with the stringiness! So, should I brush, floss, rinse with the Pro Health, then brush again? Any thoughts from anyone? Also, is it possible to overdo it with the fluoride rinses and toothpastes? My dentist gave me Prevident to use, but my teeth just don't feel clean after I use it. So I prefer to use my toothpaste of choice and then, since I need some sort of fluoride due to my decalcification, I use the Phos Flor rinse that my previous dentist recommended. Is one better than the other? It looks like the Phos Flor rinse has more fluoride in it than the Prevident. That doesn't make sense to me..... the rinse is OTC and the paste is an Rx. Any way, I usually use the rinse at night and the paste in the morning. Is that bad?

~Rachel~
Hi Rachel,

Once your teeth are developed you cannot overdue the fluoride intake as far as your teeth are concerned. There are other concerns for your GI tract so you should keep it in moderation. Prevident is 5000 ppm fluoride ion in a gel form, where as Phos Flur is sodium fluoride (4.4% I think?). It is just a different delivery system to get the fluoride to your teeth. Prevident probably doesn't make you feel clean as it doesn't really do much in the minty fresh taste department. It is doing a good job, it just doesn't feel like it. I personally Oral Health rinse in the AM before heading out the door and I Act right before bed. I also brush 4-5 times per day on average. Just my regime, YMMV. I would stick to the regime recommended by the Doc treating you.

Good Luck,
Rory

rmwolf83

#18 Post by rmwolf83 »

Neither my dentist nor my ortho has given me a regime to follow. "Just make sure you brush and floss" is about all I've been told. I brush 4-5 times a day too.....I've seen posts on archwired from other members that have said that one shouldn't brush too many times per day as it is bad for your gums and teeth. That 2-3 times a day is more than enough. I thought that sounded sort of odd. I brush in the morning and before bed of course, but I also brush 2-3 times a day while I'm at work & in the evening, just because my mouth always feels so icky after I eat something. I think I'll keep up what I've been doing, seems to be working okay. Thanks for the info Rory!

~Rachel~

Debanding: 12/18/07!!! Yay!!!!!

Front Teeth Bracketed 7/25/2006
Back Teeth Banded 7/18/2006
Inspire Ice Uppers/front 8 w/ metal lowers
Treatment time: 19 - 26 mos.

the_bufster84

#19 Post by the_bufster84 »

Hi Everyone,

I have had the same problem as you all since I started using mouthwash about a year ago. I saw the dentist and the doctor and neither knew what the problem could be. I still dont know what is causing it but now I find that if I rinse after brushing and after using mouthwash I dont get the slimy stuff at all. When I rinse after brushing I have to take four or five big mouthfuls of water + swill + spit each one, then two or three mouthfuls after the mouthwash.
Hope that helps
K

Upper Ceramics

Kat

#20 Post by Kat »

RabbleRouser wrote:Was it the "whitening expressions " crest? I had the same problem with this brand of tooth paste when used with the pro-health rinse . DDS said it was epitheleal tissue sloughing off. When I switched to Biotene mouthwash and a less caustic toothpaste, the problem diappeared.

Yep, it's the Crest whitening expressions. Come to think of it, two years ago I started dating a guy and we started using the Crest whitening tooth paste and I started seeing some globby stuff just not bad but there. I didn't say anything but was wondering if it was from him.
About 4 months later I mentioned this to him and he noticed the same thing! We know it was from the Crest whitening paste we stopped usng it and no more problem.
Now I'm back to the Crest products and Boom! it's way worse with this new expressions. Got rid of the boyfriend...
Anyway it's not the Crest pro, I don't even know what this stuff is. It's not the blue stuff either.

I guess there's just something in the Crest products.

It is pretty gross. I feel it ans if I take my clean fingers and put them inbetween my gums and the very top of my lip were they meet the gums and pull them togetherm I can pull out a glob.
Man, if I don't clean it out of there after a while it gets harder like gloop.

I dont have any problems for I have excellent oral hygene it's just the Crest products for some reason.

rsprouse

#21 Post by rsprouse »

Neither my dentist nor my ortho has given me a regime to follow. "Just make sure you brush and floss" is about all I've been told. I brush 4-5 times a day too.....I've seen posts on archwired from other members that have said that one shouldn't brush too many times per day as it is bad for your gums and teeth. That 2-3 times a day is more than enough. I thought that sounded sort of odd. I brush in the morning and before bed of course, but I also brush 2-3 times a day while I'm at work & in the evening, just because my mouth always feels so icky after I eat something. I think I'll keep up what I've been doing, seems to be working okay. Thanks for the info Rory!

~Rachel~
Hi Rachel,

There is no "Brush XX times and floss YY times per day" that works for everyone. You need to be diligent for yourself and do what it takes if you want to keep a healthy oral cavity. 4-5 times is not too much if you are brushing properly. More than 3 times is a problem if you are applying too much pressure. But if you let the bristles of the brush do the work and use gentle force then it is not a problem. Enamel is the hardest substance in the body and a soft bristle tooth brush will not wear it away if you don't apply pressure. Ideally you should brush after putting anything that breaks down in your mouth (sugars especially). But that is not practical for most people. So be diligent and do what you feel is right. If you see any plaque accumulating then you know that you could go for a brushing :lol:

Keep up the good work.

Best,
Rory

the_bufster84

#22 Post by the_bufster84 »

Hi, I have never used any crest toothpaste or any of the mouthwashes you have mentioned but I still had the problem. In fact I changed toothpaste and mouthwash loads and it never cleared the problem up. Not until I started rinsing really thoroughly did it go away, maybe if you clear the residue from toothpaste/mouthwash from your mouth it wont have a chance to attack the eppithelial cells. Just a thought

Upper Ceramics