Wisdom teeth...who has them?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sportsgrl97

#16 Post by sportsgrl97 »

i have all 4 wisdom teeth... but i only am getting 3 out because the other one is being brought into my second molar's place..

Gennel

#17 Post by Gennel »

I have all 4 wisdom teeth. At my first consultation my ortho did not mention anything about extractions for my wisdom teeth. He told me that I needed a total of 6 extractions and told me which ones (2 top premolars,2 bottom premolars and two molars on bottom that were terribly decayed) After I've been braced about 2-3 months he mentions to me in one of my adjustment appt's " You know you need the wisdom teeth out,right ?" I really don't understand why since they are all out and not tilting or near other teeth that are bracketed :( I went through a really rough time when I got 6 teeth extracted in one day and just to think that I need 4 more ugh! But if it means that my teeth will stay nice and straight then I'm all for it. Sooooo I will be getting my wisdom teeth extractions after Christmas. I will be put under general anesthesia but depending on price ,I might only have 2 extractions done at a time.

Gennel

Sweet L

#18 Post by Sweet L »

I had my lower left removed like five years ago, it was impacted I was starting to feel pain when I opened my mouth...
A month ago, when I had my X-Ray taken, I went to see my Ortho, and she said that before starting with the braces I needed to get my wisdom teeth removed, so they wouldn't do anything wrong to my treatment... So now I'm just waiting next to the phone, I must have them out before November 07, that's the day I'll have my spacers (is that the name?).
By the end of the year I'll have braces and my mouth will be wisdom teeth-free!!! :D.
My mouth is really small, so even if I wanted to keep them, they wouldn't have space to grow....
I'll guess that the important thing is to trust in your Dr. They always know what's best for you and your mouth

rsprouse

Re: Wisdom teeth...who has them?

#19 Post by rsprouse »

Do most people have their wisdom teeth out?
It is a cultural thing. If you are in North America then it is much more common to have them extracted when you are a teenager.
I have all 4 of mine, and at my first consultation the doctor didn't mention extracting them. Is it possible that, if I don't get them extracted, they may cause trouble in the future? I will probably ask my ortho next appt but I was basically wondering if anyone in braces kept their wisdom teeth..
If you have plenty of space for them to erupt without causing problems to the rest of the dentition then let them come on in. The other big thing is keeping them clean. It is difficult to brush and floss properly back there. Take a look at the angle at which the mandible opens and visualize how hard it is to properly maneuver a tooth brush back there. Thus many people have them extracted to offer a better prognosis and protect your 2nd molars. As always, YMMV.

Regards,
Rory

Joel-

#20 Post by Joel- »

Thanks for all the information everyone... I might have forgot to mention all 4 of mine have fully erupted, so I will ask the ortho if it's okay to keep them all. I think I can manage to keep them clean.

Gennel

#21 Post by Gennel »

My 4 wisdom teeth are fully errupted. I really did not get any specific reason why they need to all come out. I will just ask at my next appt. why all of them need to come out. They are very expensive to be extracted plus the fact that I'll need general anesthesia. Well let me be honest! I don't need general anesthesia I prefer it! :)

Gennel

Joel-

#22 Post by Joel- »

Yeah, I would have to pay something like $800-1000 out of my pocket to get 4 extracted, and Im trying to afford college :shock:

Gennel

#23 Post by Gennel »

Wow! $800-$1000 for all 4? I had a feeling it would be that high. Was that price quoted including general anesthesia or just shots?

Even with general anesthesia they still gave me like 6 shots to keep me numb afterward. I saw the 6 individual needles on a tray and was clueless as to why they had needles plus the IV sedation ready...
I was put under for 45 minutes and it cost $450 just for the gen anesthesia. I think if I get 2 taken out ,it might not be more than 30 minutes I hope! I have to go in for a consult to an oral surgeon so let's see whsat he says about pricing...

Gennel

Mmmmuuaa

#24 Post by Mmmmuuaa »

I have the top and bottom wisdom teeth on my left still. I have no plans on taking them out, they don't bother me at all. I had the 2 on the right side removed when I was like 19 yrs old. My orhto said I didn't need to have the remaining ones out. I've wondered about it a few times, though I'm sure he knows what he's talking about so I won't worry.

vivi21

#25 Post by vivi21 »

I HAVE ALL OF MINE

Mmmmuuaa

#26 Post by Mmmmuuaa »

HA HA HA HA