what did the orth use to close your gap??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

battleangel232232

what did the orth use to close your gap??

#1 Post by battleangel232232 »

My orth use elastics to close the four gaps in my month. He plans to pull all my front teeths back with the gap from the side (4 premoler extractions).

I'm not sure if elastics is the best way to go, is there another tools he can use?? (spring, normal arch wire)???

ssfw

#2 Post by ssfw »

Hi battleangel232232,

I have a few minor gaps between some teeth, not full gaps but gaps towards the top portion between two teeth. My orthodontist is using a powerchain to close the gaps and I do know elastics will also be a part of my orhto treatment. All orthos do things differently, so it could be yours is using elastics first then a powerchain in the near future? - ask your ortho why he is using elastics if you feel he should be using something else.

Good luck.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

My horizontal gaps are being closed with powerchains. So far, the only use of elastics has been to close my bite.

Henna_the_braceface

#4 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

currently, ive got 4 springs and 3 elastics to close up the 4 premolar extraction gaps.

eooo

#5 Post by eooo »

wow spring and 4 elastic??? i only have elastic to close my gap!! maybe I should ask my orth to use both to close the gap faster.. u think thats a good idea??

katy

#6 Post by katy »

I had 4 second pre-molars extracted and over the course of my treatment, my ortho has used a combination of heavy springs, powerchains and elastics that run from my last molar to the canines on the same arch to create extra force to move the teeth. It worked perfectly - all gaps have closed and I'm due for de-bracing next Friday.

Remember that your ortho knows how much force needs to be applied to move your teeth safely. If he put too much pressure on your teeth, it could cause them to tilt or even damage the root of the tooth. As much as you want this to happen quickly, it won't - closing gaps is the longest part of braces (well in my case it was anyway). It's taken 27 months to get to where I am...

Anyway, best of luck... I hope you're one of the lucky ones who has teeth that move quickly and with little motivation!!

Cheers,

katy :D

OnMyWay

#7 Post by OnMyWay »

I had 4 premolars extracted.

My ortho is using wires with closing loops to close the gaps. The closing loops hurt like crazy when they're yanking on them to tighten them, especially when then the pliars slip and cut up your cheeks.

But they definantly work so I can't complain. :)

battleangel232232

#8 Post by battleangel232232 »

Dear Katie, or whoever that can answer these:

How long did it took you to close the gaps??

My orth is planning to close the gaps first by pulling back my canines, and "after that" then he will start pull the 4 fronts teeth from each arch back, was your procedure similar to mine or did your orth move all your teeth back all at once????

I know more pressure might damage the teeth but just curious, from your experience which tools (heavy springs, powerchains and elastics )did help to close the gap the fastest????or did the orth use different kind at once???

kayla4644

#9 Post by kayla4644 »

well, my gaps were closed with a 00000 powerchain.
they closed super quick.
maybe ask him about those.
Always listen to your heart, cause even though it's on your left, it's always right.

rockexrolloh

#10 Post by rockexrolloh »

hey..

my ortho wrapped elastic around my front teeth, where my gap was, and just kept wrapping then tightened it. my gap was closed within the first month of having my braces on.
but when one gap closes, another one forms. so he's just been putting elastic around the brackets where my gaps are. it seems to help alot!
although at my next visit i will be getting power chains to kind of move everything even closer.

Uppers and Lowers placed on 06/01/06 - Insignia Inspire ICE ceramics on top and stainless on bottom.

Joanna20

#11 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey, my ortho is using a powerchain. Mine is supposed to be changed every month/5 weeks.

Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

JumpTheDitch

#12 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Powerchains and elastics for me.

I had 2 x upper #5's (second bicuspids) extracted ten months ago to reduce overjet. So far he's used powerchains to pull the front (top) teeth back and help close my bite, now combined with elastics (lower canines to upper second molars) to get the upper molars moving forward. Both first and second molars are banded (upper and lower).

The gaps are closing but it takes a while.
It's odd there are so many different methods for achieving the same result, don't you think?

Good luck :thumbsup:

jmpmntwnty3

#13 Post by jmpmntwnty3 »

My ortho's using a powerchain, and surprisingly, it's working quite well! Could it be because I'm young? I've only had it for about a month and a half on my bottoms, and one gap has completely closed, while the other will most likely be closed at my next adjustment in December :D
June 2006: Upper and Lower braces -- July 2006: RPE installed -- December 2006: RPE removed.
April 2007: 4 wisdom teeth extracted & had Frenum b/t 2 front teeth clipped. Powerchain added.
January 2008: All gaps closed.
March 2010: Began wearing elastics
January 2012: Braces finally off!