getting nervous about retainers

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lyn

getting nervous about retainers

#1 Post by Lyn »

Only 24 days to go - - - Braces will be OFF and then I'll be getting my retainers..... :!: :!:

I am getting a bit nervous. From the posts of read on the "retainers forum", people have had a few problems. Like having a sore tongue, teeth, and gums and stuff like that. I am beginning to think that having braces is much easier than the retainer :?: :?: :?:

Also, I bet gum chewing is a BIG no no! I chew gum now w/braces and don't have problems, but how could you chew w/ that thing "wrapped" around your teeth? I was told I would be getting the clear/invisalign type.

Like I said, I'm getting nervous, and need some input here - - help!!
:-#)
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

sarah23

#2 Post by sarah23 »

Hi!!

I just got my braces off Wednesday and have not had a major problem with my retainers... sure, your speech might be slightly slurred but nothing that has caused me embarassment... I'm sure it's different for everyone but I think you will be okay!! Your teeth might be sore if your teeth move even a tiny bit so that might be what you're referring to... chewing gum is a big habit of mine... and no you can not chew it with your clear retainers in but when I really HAVE to have gum I will take them out... you will get over taking the retainer out in public... I already have!! I just think of it as more of an opportunity to show off my teeth haha.

Good luck!!