expander tomorrow! i'm scared!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

camille

expander tomorrow! i'm scared!

#1 Post by camille »

:oops: tomorrow is the big day. i'm so scared! im mostly worried about talking....i've heard it gives a lisp and i've also heard it makes it hard to say u's and e's. i'm afraid that i'll gag on it too.... has anyone had one? is it very bad? *deep breaths*

sportsgrl97

#2 Post by sportsgrl97 »

no gagging... just trouble talking and u feel like u've gained 5 pounds in ur mouth... i had trouble with E's ALOT and u's too but not as much... for some reason i dont remember having that much trouble with S's but then again its been 1 1/2 years... good luck..

flowrs04

#3 Post by flowrs04 »

You'll be fine. I'v had my expander for a week now. I'm still having trouble talking but from the advice I've got from this awesome site, it will get better as weeks go by.

good luck!
Deb

ssfw

#4 Post by ssfw »

I have had my expander for 9 months and after the first 2 months I didn't even give it (the expander) a second thought. Placing the expander in your mouth is painless. The problems I had was from the constant rubbing, my tongue became sore but the warm saltwater rinses and sometimes using a cotton swab with hydrogen peroxide was a big help too and I also placed some wax on the expander to give my tongue some relief - all of this helped me. I know it was a matter of my mouth getting use to a foreign object. It did effect my speech initially and I found that talking slower was a big help. After a couple months my speech was back to normal and my tongue felt so much better.

Good luck.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

iBorg

#5 Post by iBorg »

You mean you have to get used to Braces and foreign objects in your mouth for orthodontics?

He said dripping with sarcasm.

Best of luck to you.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

camille

#6 Post by camille »

Thanks for all the help! My appointment is in half an hour....I'll post when I get back! I just want to get this over with!!!

Lisa65

#7 Post by Lisa65 »

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

science teacher

expander

#8 Post by science teacher »

I bet you didn't expect this but.....
I'M SO JEALOUS!
I have to wait til 10/31 for mine. I get fitted for it tomorrow.

kim

camille

#9 Post by camille »

I'm back! So here's what happened....They took out the spacers, then put it on without any glue. It felt (and still feels) extremely weird and uncomfortable. They adjusted it, took it out, then glued it in. THAT GLUE TASTES HORRIBLE!!! I still taste it and gag because it's so disgusting. As far as my speech, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I can say S just fine, but I'm having trouble with some U, E, and R words....like word. I cannot say word. I'm happy it's all over but I can't wait until I'm used to it.

SDFD TSchott

#10 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Congradulations glad to see your not having as many problems with it that you expected to have, other then that I'm glad I don't really have to go through that process. I guess all I have to deal with is braces, that horrible glue taste and bands :(

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Gennel

#11 Post by Gennel »

I just got my expander (bihelix) on my lowers put on yesterday. I did not feel pain until last night! UGH!!! I expected my banded molars would be sore.I was happy that the hooks werent cutting my tongue. This morning and all day long the part that curves like a paperclip on your molar keeps yanking my tongue . This only happens on my right side. Since I have 1 lower incisor that is pushed back,the edge of the expander does NOT rest just above my gumline behind my teeth. Instead it rests right against one of my lower front teeth so that teeth is also feeling pressure and hurts. So the U shaped edge is sort of floating instead of resting low under my tongue :( does that make sense? I'm having some minor problems with certain words . I was talking most of the day but as of 6 pm I was just using hand signals because my tongue hurts soooo much because when I try to talk it looks like I have a mouthful of something .... I really hope this works because elastics did not work at getting my molars upright :(
Everyone who has gotten one of these has survived and said that " you'll get used to them and soon you'll forget it's even in there!

Gennel