Motorcycle Helmet

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ravishing

Motorcycle Helmet

#1 Post by Ravishing »

I went riding with my husband last night for the first time since getting braces. We have full face helmets and I noticed that the padding near my cheeks squishes them enough to make my brackets rub when I talk. It was pretty annoying and I wished that I could gob some wax in there while I was riding.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed the same thing. I never really thought my helmet would be an issue.
[/url]
Was braced for all 9 months of my pregnancy and managed to keep fresh elastics on during all 26 hours of labor!!

JaneBy

#2 Post by JaneBy »

Yep, and that's why I now own and wear a 3/4 helmet.
Braced at 41, Damon 2s - top and bottom, 8/10/04, estimated 18-24 months...did overtime! Debraced 10/4/06. Essix retainers.

science teacher

helmet

#3 Post by science teacher »

Uh OH! I already think my helmet is tight. I can't wear earrings so I bet my braces will be a prblem too. :(

Kim

rmwolf83

#4 Post by rmwolf83 »

I had that problem when I first got my braces....we have full face helmets also, and my honey has a sport bike, so to me, there's no other option but to have a full face helmet. The first few times we went riding soon after I got my braces were killer. But now, it doesn't seem to be near as bad. I've been braced about 2-1/2 months now, and I don't even really feel my braces when I have my helmet on. So, I think it should get better. I'd give it a little time before going out and buying a new helmet.

Good luck! I hope things get better for you!

~Rachel~

Debanding: 12/18/07!!! Yay!!!!!

Front Teeth Bracketed 7/25/2006
Back Teeth Banded 7/18/2006
Inspire Ice Uppers/front 8 w/ metal lowers
Treatment time: 19 - 26 mos.

Ravishing

#5 Post by Ravishing »

Thanks for sharing, rmwolf83. We won't ride with anything but a full face so I have no intentions of switching. I can live with some cheek irritation!

Most injuries that occur in a wreck involve the jaw unless you're wearing a full face. I didn't want to mess up my face before braces. I couldn't imagine taking that risk after spending thousands to have my teeth fixed.

As an aside, I'm all for wearing full gear at all times - especially after reading this: http://www.speedfreakinc.com/content/ar ... queen.html
[/url]
Was braced for all 9 months of my pregnancy and managed to keep fresh elastics on during all 26 hours of labor!!

rmwolf83

#6 Post by rmwolf83 »

Thanks for sharing, rmwolf83. We won't ride with anything but a full face so I have no intentions of switching. I can live with some cheek irritation!

Most injuries that occur in a wreck involve the jaw unless you're wearing a full face. I didn't want to mess up my face before braces. I couldn't imagine taking that risk after spending thousands to have my teeth fixed.

As an aside, I'm all for wearing full gear at all times - especially after reading this: http://www.speedfreakinc.com/content/ar ... queen.html
I couldn't agree with you more. Helmets and full gear, always. I don't know how the laws are where you live, but in PA they changed the helmet law from a helmet being mandatory, to where if you've passed the safety course, or if you've had your license for two years, you do not need to wear one. I think that is so crazy! I get so angry when I see guys speeding down the highway on their sport bikes wearing shorts and no shirt with their girlfriends or whatever in their bikini tops and NO HELMETS!! I have to wonder what is wrong with these people. Do they really have that much disregard for their own life. It baffles me. I would never trade my full face helmet for anything else! A friend once told us of when he purchased his first bike, he asked his father how much he should spend on a helmet. His father told him, "Well, that depends on how much your head is worth. If it's worth $39 then buy a thirty-nine dollar helmet..." I'm sure you get the picture! But it's so true!

Sorry for the rant everyone. Just one of those things that get me going!

~Rachel

Debanding: 12/18/07!!! Yay!!!!!

Front Teeth Bracketed 7/25/2006
Back Teeth Banded 7/18/2006
Inspire Ice Uppers/front 8 w/ metal lowers
Treatment time: 19 - 26 mos.

SDFD TSchott

#7 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Having the same issues but I don't care I rather keep my full helmet then go to something smaller.

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Anticipator

#8 Post by Anticipator »

I must be lucky, in the two rides I've gone on since having braces I didn't have any problems with irritation from a full helmet.

I agree with all the others here I wouldn't ride with anything less than full coverage, even if it does risk irritation.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

Tin Indian

#9 Post by Tin Indian »

I usally ride with a 3/4 face hemet but did try on my wife's full face after reading the posts here and didn't have a problem with it biting into my cheeks. Cold weather is starting to set in so I guess I'll switch. RIDE ON!
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

Kat

#10 Post by Kat »

Hmmm, No problems here. I wear a full face helmet and wouldn't wear a 3/4 for anything. Zero lower face protection.
I have a tight helmet to say the least and am lucky I guess. A full face is worth the bit of uncomfort to save face...
Last edited by Kat on Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeniwan

#11 Post by jeniwan »

I wear a full face helmet too and noticed the same thing. Fortunately, the rubbing's not bad enough for wax.

I have to agree with the others.... I'd rather deal with a little rubbing than go with a helmet with less than full-face protection :thumbsup:

Pirate Wench

#12 Post by Pirate Wench »

:-** I commend all of you for wearing the proper gear......It is great to hear :-**

I also ride motorbike. I have a full face helmet and only noticed rubbing when I originally got the braces. Since then, my teeth must have moved enought to not be causing any issues. I notice that my teeth hurt a little more when I wear my helmet after adjustments, but it isn't enough to stop me from riding! :lol: I get my lower braces in November and I am sure that will make a difference again, but our riding season has pretty much ended here and won't come again until probably April or May. That will give me plenty of time to get used to my new additions to my mouth before having to ride with the full face helmet again!

Keep on riding......and be safe!!!!

science teacher

helmet

#13 Post by science teacher »

I agree about the full face but here's a story for you.

My husband started riding in high school and his mom is a nurse. A neurologist told him to wear the helmet in town because it was beneficial, but to remove it on the highway.

The Dr. said if you crash at highway speed don't give your parents hope you will survive because you were wearing the helmet.

The helmet prevents your brain from swelling. As soon as the helmet is removed the brain balloons up and lots of times the patient dies within minutes.

Kim

Kat

#14 Post by Kat »

I'll have the full face anytime. On the highway you have pretty much no chance of surviving without a helmet. Pro's and cons BUT it's proven over and over again there are way more survivors that wear helmets over the dummies who don't. It's not "cool" not to wear one. I believe in choice if there is one in a state that doesn't require one but I'm going to try to live after a fall with all the protection I can.

Ever been around someone that's fallen off a bike and cracked their head on the concrete? It aint a pretty sight!