Two extractions today--potential problems. Have a ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jared

Two extractions today--potential problems. Have a ?

#1 Post by Jared »

My dentist extracted my two first upper bicuspids today. On one a small 3-4 mm piece of the root broke off and stayed in the gum. He tried to get it out a bit, but didn't make it seem like it was too big a deal. He said he didn't want to mess around too much in there, and that it would likely be just fine. He said I should just let my ortho know. The only risk is supposedly a simple absess. I looked at him and thought, "SIMPLE ABSESS!" Should I be concerned here or am I worrying for litte reason? Thanks. JR
35 years old, married, father of 5, braced on June 15, 2006

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"
-Def Leppard, Rock of Ages--Pyromania

Regina Rose

#2 Post by Regina Rose »

I had both first upper bicuspids out in August and they were not the "easy" extractions everyone said they would be. Turns out my teeth have very thin roots and that caused both teeth to break into pieces and complicate the extraction process. Despite taking every precaution, I did end up with one dry socket (due to the traumatic nature of the extraction). I'm just guessing but perhaps that's what your dentist was trying to avoid by not "messing around too much in there" -- he may have been trying to reduce your chances of getting a dry socket.

Just monitor your extraction sites carefully for any signs of infection and contact your dentist immediately if you have any concerns.

rsprouse

#3 Post by rsprouse »

Jared,

I have seen root tips that have been in a person for many years without a problem. But the proper standard of care is to remove it unless removal will put the patient at an increased risk (IE - Mandibular molar with root tip near the IAN). If the root tip stays then you cannot properly close a gap with orthodontics. There is no harm asking for a referral to an oral surgeon if your GP does not feel comfortable removing it.

Good Luck,
Rory

Koolmama

#4 Post by Koolmama »

Hi Jared,

i believe i was one of those unlucky ones whose root tips broke off when my childhood dentist extracted one of my pre-molars when i was 10 years old. Stupid dentist didn't clean it up and it was sticking out of my gum for the next 19 years!!! It never bothered me until recently when i "thought" i felt mild aches around the area and decided to ask my dentist to pull it out (it was simple and fast and painless)... The only thing is, sometimes i still feel this mild "ache" inside the gum where the root tip used to be... Dunno whether it's just my imagination or there's something really wrong inside :? :? :?