Unexpectedly re-braced

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Wingnut

#16 Post by Wingnut »

johnt89,

I haven't visited the board in 9 months and when I do - I read your story! Wow - how are you doing? I'd love to hear an update about your progress!

fins

#17 Post by fins »

Did your ortho offer an explanation why this happened? I know sometimes orthodontia doesn't get things perfect, especially with a bite issue but this is troubling. Was it a relapse? My dentist says adults relapse more frequently.

johnt89

#18 Post by johnt89 »

I go in for my next appointment in about 2 weeks. I'm very excited because I want to know how much progress i've made. When he intillay took my braces off I was very happy, but over time my teeth just seemed to move. He said it's never happened to him before.
As for my mouth, it is still sore. I never gets not sore. With the rubber bands and the headgear my mouth is pretty painful, but i can supass it. I'm getting used to not talking and staying "low". I must say anyone to look at me right now would prbably think I looked like an idiot...haha.

Peace,

ssfw

#19 Post by ssfw »

Hi johnt89,

It seems things are going well for you. You have such a great attitude about having to get rebraced 9 months after your braces were removed. You mentioned in your last post that you have headgear also, when did you get headgear and is it to correct your bite?

Keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

chops

#20 Post by chops »

john, so sorry to hear this! but you seem to have a really awesome attitude about it, so good on ya!!

it's weird though, because you were wearing your retainers...so how the heck did your teeth shift soo much? maybe ur ortho should have had you come in for a checkup earlier than 9months?

johnt89

#21 Post by johnt89 »

Just had another adjustment, and boy was I in for a suprise. He did so, however, that my progress was stunning, and was set to be released in as few as 4 months!!!

He put in new wires with powerchains, and I now have a mouth full of elastics. I no longer have to wear the headgear, but he did tell me that tit doesn't mean i'm done with it for my treatment. **keep my fingers crossed*

The wires are extrememly stiff, and the powerchains are pretty tight, but nothign is in the league of how bad the elastics are. I have a box elastic around my front 4 teeth (top and bottom) which is a pain, and then 4 more on each side. 2 of them are the tightest kind he has, so my mouth is leterally shut. I have one going from my 3rd tooth on top to, my fathest back molar on the bottom (both sides), and then 3 triangle formations.

Next adjustment is in 9 days...he wants to see me to keep making adjustments, so the process is quicker.

j

weird_wired

#22 Post by weird_wired »

Goodness, how awful. But how great that your ortho is responsible and dedicated to actually do this.

johnt89

#23 Post by johnt89 »

I had my adjustment a week ago, but have been so busy with work.
Good news and Bad news.
He said my progress is great and that i'm on schedule for the removal. im really excited about this.
Today's appointment was about an hour long...but nearly none of it was waiting. After they took out my wires, and i brushed, the ortho notified me that they had to reposition some of the brackets, my mouth is still sore from the new bracket placements. He put in a new very think and stiff wire and both top and bottom.
After this, he started working on my mouth. I had no idea. I could tell he was putting something on the brackets but couldn't tell what. Then he said, "i'll be right back." When he came back he fitted me with a different kind of headgear. I was so surptised. I mean, sort of, he told me that i was probably going to get back in it. He, first, fit in this wire that is currently connected to the braces, and cannot come out(unlike my past headgear, which could just unhook). It's almost like another archwire on the outside of my mouth. It's a very weird feeling, have metal touch my lips 24/7. Then he put on the straps. I have a thing on my forehead and chin, and it wraps around to the back of my head. I have to wear it 24/7 x-cept when brushing. He siad even though i can take out the straps, if i wear this how i'm supposed to my bite will be corrected.

Needless to say, i look pretty funny, and have amouth full of metal. NExt adjustment is in 2 weeks.

ssfw

#24 Post by ssfw »

Hi John,

I'm sorry to hear that you have to wear headgear again, hopefully not for long. You really have such a great attitude about all of this. I hope you are not in any discomfort due to the new archwires and headgear.

In my opinion I think it would be nice if your orthodontist tells you what he plans to do so that you are not surprised when you suddenly see headgear. My orthodontist and his assistants always tells me what he/she plans to do, whether it is placing the expander in my mouth or getting a thicker archwire and to maybe expect a bit of discomfort. It sure does make me feel alot better knowing what they are doing and what to expect.

Take care of yourself and keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

simplywired

#25 Post by simplywired »

This honestly sounds like a Halloween horror tale! I haven't heard anything like this and it sounds like you're going through absolute torture! I keep hoping you'll write and say it's all a joke. When you describe what your orth is putting you through, I cringe.

Your attitude is truly amazing - best of luck in getting this DONE asap.

eooo

#26 Post by eooo »

ok what i really dont understand is.. WHY did your teeth move even you wore your retainer 7/24?? can you ask your orth??

also and most importantly how can we prevent this???

please advise us all

johnt89

#27 Post by johnt89 »

It's been so long since I've been able to post...I've been so busy. Everything has been pretty much the same since my last appt; headgear and all for about 5 months now, but my teeth are looking much better.
I had my last adjustment yesterday, I get them off in 4 weeks. I now have headgear, but it is removable (thank god!!). At my adjustment, they changed my wired, and then gave me the hg. The hg is connected to a hawley retainer (or at least thats what it looks like). They put in the hawley, and made sure it fit, and was nice an snug. Then they added hooks to my brakets in back that could hook on to the hawley.IT jsut clicks in and out. Then they attached the bow to the sides of the hawlet and screwed it in. Then they put the hg on, it was pretty simple. The hawlet getting taking a bit used to, but its cool b/c I get them off i 4 weeks!!

johnt89

#28 Post by johnt89 »

It's been so long since I've been able to post...I've been so busy. Everything has been pretty much the same since my last appt; headgear and all for about 5 months now, but my teeth are looking much better.
I had my last adjustment yesterday, I get them off in 4 weeks. I now have headgear, but it is removable (thank god!!). At my adjustment, they changed my wired, and then gave me the hg. The hg is connected to a hawley retainer (or at least thats what it looks like). They put in the hawley, and made sure it fit, and was nice an snug. Then they added hooks to my brakets in back that could hook on to the hawley.IT jsut clicks in and out. Then they attached the bow to the sides of the hawlet and screwed it in. Then they put the hg on, it was pretty simple. The hawlet getting taking a bit used to, but its cool b/c I get them off i 4 weeks!!