From Lurker to Member - Finally Braced at 26!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sylver Ice

From Lurker to Member - Finally Braced at 26!

#1 Post by Sylver Ice »

Hello Everyone! First of all, a BIG thank you to Lynn (for starting this great website and forum) and to all the members who have provided great advice and tips. :)

I have to admit I have been 'lurking' around, visiting this site since June of this year, trying to make up my mind whether I should get braces or not. Considering the fact that I am 26, I thought, maybe I'm too old. Visiting this forum, changed my perspective for the better.

I started my treatment in August of this year. Had two bicuspids pulled out from the top and within a week (on August 17th) got metal brackets put on all my top teeth. At the time, I only got a thin wire on the four front teeth (as per my ortho, this would round out my front teeth).

Other than some minor tenderness in the four front teeth, and having problems flossing, it wasn't too too bad.

Yesterday, I went in to get more metal in my mouth. The hygenist noted that my teeth had rounded out nicely (comparing it to the mould they took during my first visit). So, I got my lower metal brackets put on and wires (thin) on top and bottom. The Ortho didn't put a wire on the bottom molars for now. When I was asked to bite down, my top teeth were hitting the bottom brackets. So the hygenist mounted the molars with glue to prevent me from biting it off.

I have to admit, I was really depressed yesterday, because for the life of me, I just could not bite down (and I still can't). My back teeth don't touch. I feel like I'm chewing with one tooth (which is actually a mountain of glue!) It has taken the fun out of eating food. Now I feel like I just eat to keep myself from dying of starvation!

Anyone else going through the same ordeal or has and can offer some advice? Do I just wait for my bite to change or is this something I should contact my Ortho about?

p.s. Anyone know how to add a signature at the bottom of a post?

Many thanks!

[/code]
Last edited by Sylver Ice on Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zondrae

#2 Post by Zondrae »

Hi & welcome! Glad you joined us.

About the eating, it does get better pretty quickly. The first week or so is the roughest. You will figure out how to cut things up & manage much better. And you will be suprised just how quickly the teeth move. :D

Sylver Ice

#3 Post by Sylver Ice »

Zondrae wrote:Hi & welcome! Glad you joined us.

About the eating, it does get better pretty quickly. The first week or so is the roughest. You will figure out how to cut things up & manage much better. And you will be suprised just how quickly the teeth move. :D
Thanks Zondrae, this is encouraging! :)

Sylver Ice

#4 Post by Sylver Ice »

Meryaten, thanks for the advice! Yes, I do have a deep overbite. I opted for the extraction of my two bicuspids instead of the surgery. I do have a question for you. When you say "opening up the bite" what exactly does that mean? I'm assuming it means pulling my lower teeth outwards (i.e. expanding)?

About eating pizza....now that sounds encouragin! Because the way I've been having to eat right now (e.g. even eating pasta is a challenge!) I can't even imagine myself biting into a pizza yet! lol!

Sylver Ice

#5 Post by Sylver Ice »

Thanks Meryaten, that was helpful! I'm not sure if mine is a reverse wire, but I'm going to ask my Ortho when I visit him the next time.

Sylver Ice

#6 Post by Sylver Ice »

Good to know. My next appointment is in December, I wonder what I'm going to get next!

By the way Meryaten, have you had to get elastics? My ortho hasn't said anything about those yet. Not sure when those would go on. I have a funny feeling, that's what I'll be getting in December.

[/quote]

tyrablu

#7 Post by tyrablu »

I know eating was the abosolute worst thing for about a week. Then it got better. I probably lost like five pounds during that time.

Sylver Ice

#8 Post by Sylver Ice »

Thanks Meryaten! Eating has become a bit easier (since the pain is gone now), but it still is hard to chew.

KK - Thanks, I'll check out your blog.