Can teeth be corrected, but not the bite?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

PIMPmyTEETH

#31 Post by PIMPmyTEETH »

:lol: or, i could look both ways and minimize my chances....at least i have some control. with surgery, i have no control.

it'd be different if i were in some kind of pain or there was something wrong functionaly. but, in my case, there isn't.

grinning

#32 Post by grinning »

Hi! I have to agree with everyone here in regards to seeing an ortho... there's really no decision to make before you know what you are deciding about! I have a situation like yours. No major complaints here. Bite felt fine but teeth were gradually getting more crooked over the years, so I went in and paid for my consults just to see. (I'm in Alberta- no freebees here either!) I suppose I'm one of those vain people who is getting their teeth fixed mostly for cosmetic reasons! I'm very happy so far though, and wouldn't change my decision at this point! So find out if there are any possible drawbacks and weigh them against your desire for the smile the orthos tell you is possible in your case. Good luck with your decision!

hippyhippo

#33 Post by hippyhippo »

Yes, you can definitely probably find an ortho who will just get your teeth straight and not worry too much about your bite.

However...

Straightening your teeth is going to change your bite. While you may be happy with how your teeth function now, after your teeth are straight your top and bottom teeth may no longer line up with each other. That could lead to difficulties eating, cause jaw problems to develop, etc.

Also, once the braces are off, your teeth will very likely try to move back to their pre-brace location. This can happen with anyone who has braces (hence the need for retainers), but a bad bite will make this much more likely to happen. Why put yourself through braces if the change is not going to be permanent?

You obviously don't want perfection, and many orthos are willing to deal with that. But there is a big difference between settling on straight teeth and an 80% perfect bite, to just straight teeth and a 30% perfect bite. I think you'd be much happier with the former, even if it means an extra 6 months in braces.

If you really don't care about bite, then I second (third? fourth?) the opinion on going with veneers. If my bite hadn't begun to cause me problems, I probably would have gone that route myself.

PIMPmyTEETH

#34 Post by PIMPmyTEETH »

here's just one example of why i feel so strongy against surgery:

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.suppo ... 6ad24f0186

basically, there are some comments there from a dentist that states that "Established research shows that...The nature of one's occlusion is not a predicting factor in TMD."

i've read many stories like this, and i've only just started reading about it. i think surgery is something to consider VERY seriously. what's more, my insurance absolutely does not cover anything related to TMJ. so, i really think there is no way i'll be doing surgery if it is suggested to me. of course, i could talk to a surgeon, but i already know what they are going to say: lots of benefits, small risks.

basically, from what i've read thus far, the jaw surgery is mostly for cosmetic reasons. unless, you have a serious underlying problem with your jaw that is causing you pain or lack of proper function.

lionfish

#35 Post by lionfish »

I don't recall you mentioning that you had TMJ.

I think your comment that jaw surgery is mostly for cosmetic reasons is not correct. Most (all?) of the people on this board who have embraced surgery have done so because they have had functional problems. Cosmetic improvement was a by product.

PIMPmyTEETH

#36 Post by PIMPmyTEETH »

:lol: everyone has TMJ. i believe you're thinking of TMD.

and, i said is mostly for cosmetic reasons, UNLESS you're experiencing problems. and, even then, the surgery may not correct them. judging from what i've read.

brandee987

#37 Post by brandee987 »

I am having my bite corrected without extractions or surgery. I would suggest get a few consults and see what your options are you may not need surgery or extractions. I myself went in only wanting my teeth to be straighter for cosmetic reasons. Its funny because after being braced I am more excited about having a correct bite! I have become bite obsessed. :D Since my bite is changing I am so loving the facial changes it has brought about. GL with your decison!
Ceramic Upper braces: November 29, 2005
Metal Lowers go on: March 7th, 2006

lionfish

#38 Post by lionfish »

PIMPmyTEETH wrote::lol: everyone has TMJ. i believe you're thinking of TMD.

and, i said is mostly for cosmetic reasons, UNLESS you're experiencing problems. and, even then, the surgery may not correct them. judging from what i've read.
You are right, I did mean TMD. So - do you have this syndrome?

PIMPmyTEETH

#39 Post by PIMPmyTEETH »

no, i don't. i don't have any problems with my jaw function, whatsoever. i did have some clicking when i was younger, but that was a VERY long time ago. i am fine now. guess that could have been just due to jaw growth.

Gennel

#40 Post by Gennel »

I am no expert but you say that your bite is not giving you any problems but you would just like straighter teeth. By moving your teeth it will result in changing your bite. I could fully close my mouth and chew. Even though my upper and lower teeth were crowded. I mainly wanted straight teeth. Well after having braces for 4+ months ,my teeth have aligned nicely but.... guess what? My bite is OFF big time. My top and lower teeth do not touch so I cannot even bite a thin piece of ham with my front teeth.
By moving teeth you will most likely change your bite in some way.
There are very few orthos that will agree to just make the teeth look straight and leave you with what they see as a "bad bite" . If you do find an ortho to agree to just get the teeth straight you might sign some sort of paper stating that you the patient wanted this so you won't turn around and say that you are unhappy with results or want to sue them.Get more consults .

Gennel

PIMPmyTEETH

#41 Post by PIMPmyTEETH »

i think the treament im looking for is some kind of comprimise treatment. one where my teeth get straight and my bite get's fixed as much as possible without surgery.

if the bite can't be fixed very much, then perhaps braces are not right for me. we'll see, i guess.

but, when i go for consults, i'll try to keep my mind open. maybe there are things going on that i dont even realize.

thanks everyone!

Svensk Tiger

#42 Post by Svensk Tiger »

Pimp my teeth: Have you previously been told that you might be a surgery candidate? I'm just curious as you seem so dead set against surgery and yet you haven't actually seen an orthodontist yet so presumably have no way of knowing if it could be a requirement in your case? In my experience, the vast majority of people who go for orthodontic treatment do not require surgery so I'm just wondering what makes you think that it might be suggested for you.

To use your contact lens scenario, it seems rather like going for an eye test for the first time and insisting that there is no way you'll have laser eye treatment. See what I mean?
Metal upper and lower: 6th Sep. 2005
Quad helix in: 1st Dec. 2005
Quad Helix out: 31st March 2006
Surgery (upper/lower/genio): 11th Nov. 2006
Braces off: 17th March 2007
Under chin liposculpture and fat transplant to cheeks: 20th October 2007

PIMPmyTEETH

#43 Post by PIMPmyTEETH »

I agree that this topic has become rather interesting. Lots of good info here, not only for myself, but for others as well.

The reason I talk about surgery is because I know I have a slight overbite (my front teeth cover about 1/3 over my lowers when i bite) and I have some overjet (however, to me it looks like the overjet is more caused by crowding, as my two front teeth a turned out slightly). Therefore, I am lead to believe that my lower jaw is slightly underdeveloped. So, I thought I might be a possible candidate for surgery. But, you are right. It may turn out that surgery is not necessary for me and all of this fuss was over nothing.

I don't know how much information my dentist will be able to give me, as I have an appointment soon. But, I'll be asking for referrals to orthos, anyway.

This site has given me a TON of info. That info will allow me to better choose my orthodontist and ask all kinds of questions I wouldn't even have thought of before reading through the posts on this site!

ohmyjaw

#44 Post by ohmyjaw »

Hi Pimpmyteeth,

I hope you will let us know how your consult goes! Svensk Tiger is absolutely right - good chance that you don't need surgery anyways. But this is still a very interesting discussion.

I am one if those folks that is getting surgery for mainly cosmetic benefits. I don't have any problems with my TMJ, or any problems eating, and I don't think there is anything wrong with my profile, except possibly my face is a bit "flat" (due to a slight underbite) but this is not something that bothers me.

Basically, I desperately wanted my teeth to be straight. I couldn't live with them anymore. I found out through consultations that surgery was the only way to achieve this. Without it, my teeth will revert back to their natural, crooked, state. So I said okay, if that's what it takes, fine.

Maybe for some people this is an unacceptable trade off - straight teeth but with a price of jaw surgery and whatever potential complications that comes with. I can understand that. Some days I feel positively ashamed of my vanity and wonder why it is so hard to just accept myself! But after 10 years of trying to hide my teeth from the world, I decided something had to change.

So here I am now, after a year in braces and looking at surgery sometime early in 2007. Hoping it will go smoothly and without too much hardship, but I won't know until I get there.

Hope everything goes well for you - let us know what the ortho says, and best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

PIMPmyTEETH

#45 Post by PIMPmyTEETH »

OhMyJaw, thanks for the good luck wishes.

I'll be sure to post the findings from my consultations, whenever I get around to having them. By the way, in reference to what you wrote:
Without it, my teeth will revert back to their natural, crooked, state.
Did the orthos you consulted with give you reasons for why this would happen? I'm very curious about that.