banded or not banded

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jalapeno

banded or not banded

#1 Post by jalapeno »

What determines whether or not you have to get your molars banded, assuming you have molars that were not capped?

I don't see any reason why Damons would not need bands just because they are self-ligated.

But of two offices I am considering getting braced with one office will band me and the other won't. And the one that bands uses traditional braces whereas the other uses Damons.

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I have only buccal tubes (molar brackets) and no bands. I also have a crowned second molar. I did have a bracket come off that tooth 3 days into treatment, but it was glued back on again and I've not had a day's trouble with it since. I am not in Damons.

I think it depends on the ortho. Some band teeth, others don't.

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

I have bands top and bottom, and regular brackets (not Damons)

My ortho uses bands as a matter of course, although when initially had trouble with one of the bands he said he could bracket that tooth if need be.

jalapeno

#4 Post by jalapeno »

thanks for the replies all

i suppose what I meant was any idea why some orthos would have the personal preference for banded whereas some don't?

i'm sort of worried about bands, was assuming I wouldn't need them

jalapeno

#5 Post by jalapeno »

do most people not have to have bands nowadays?

Regina Rose

#6 Post by Regina Rose »

I've had my upper arch braced since March of this year, ceramic in front with metal brackets in the back. Unfortunately, because I have a lot of crowns in back, two brackets popped off on my right side early in treatment and my ortho replaced them with bands. So I have bonded brackets on my left molars and bands on my right molars.

Is there a difference? I certainly think so. I hate the bands. Not only are they far less comfortable than the brackets but they also trap bacteria much more easily. Should any more brackets pop off, I plan to ask my ortho to reattach them at least once more before changing over to bands.

Having had the bands as a kid, I think bonded brackets are a significant improvement for patients - much easier to put on and much more comfortable to live with.

erik

#7 Post by erik »

I have no insight into what the decision criteria is for banding, but here is my limited observation...

My daughter and I have been braced by the same ortho (couple months apart). She has bands and I do not. I only have brackets on the front six teeth (upper six and lower six) where she has brackets on everything...

My guess would be the amount of movement and or type of procedures that are going to be done, dictate the need for a more stable mount (the band). For me, my path seems to be much easier and therefore does not need the sturdier foundation of a band.

Erik

Tin Indian

#8 Post by Tin Indian »

I have buccal brackets on 3 of my molars with gold crowns and the other one being a band because it kept coming off because it was on a gold crown as well (I swallowed it twice). The band was no biggie at all , just a little pressure which went away soon after being put on.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

science teacher

bands

#9 Post by science teacher »

I will have all molars banded top and bottom when the time comes.

I believe it is becuse my main problem is a very nasty crossbite on both sides.

Also I will be banded with brackets on teeth 4 and 6 with an RPE attached on 11/8,

Kim

SDFD TSchott

#10 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I go on Wednsday and get my bands placed on so No worries.

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

xtrememkovr

#11 Post by xtrememkovr »

I don't know much about braces (I'm still waiting to get my wires in for cryin out loud! *3 more days and counting...*) but I do know about brackets (waiting to have their beloved arch wires attached to them) and bands (have 2 on the bottom and waiting for 2 to be placed on the top in 3 days and counting...). I was really nervous about the bands for some reason - and even more nervous about the separators I needed to prepare for the bands - but the discomfort from both is fleeting and I've just treated it as a foretaste of the feast to come. (lol!).

As everyone has said - it's REALLY no big deal at all... I wouldn't make a decision based on whether or not one dentist does bands and the other does not - I would think there are far more crucial criteria to consider than a band (or 2 or 6...) Just my opinion, though.

<edited>Just some additional information about my case to help answer the second part of your question...

I am almost 40 years old - and I have an open bite that I can stick my tongue thru (while my back teeth touch...). My bottom "arch" isn't too bad - but I think I have a bit of a thrust problem that may also need to be corrected - though it's not as severe as my open bite. My ORTHO said there would be no need for surgery - my open bite can be treated with braces - and thankfully I don't need to be in head gear (as of yet) - so my case probably IS more detrimental than some others. Perhaps bands that will provide a stronger hold is needed in my case - I never asked - I just assumed it was normal.... <end>

X.

JumpTheDitch

#12 Post by JumpTheDitch »

My ortho bands most people I think.

I have all 8 molars (excluding wisdom teeth) banded.

The hooks, cleats and buccal tubes were a pain at first but like the brackets or any of the paraphernalia they put in our mouths, you get used to it and forget they're there.