Crisis of confidence: metal or ceramic?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Saki

#16 Post by Saki »

I'd say that you should make your decision based on finances. You are extremely lucky to be offered NHS treatment. If money is tight, take avantage of this. If you have more money then ceramics may be a little easier to get used to.
Yeah, money is definitely tight - I've just spent the last month trying to work out how I'm going to pay my £3000 Ph.D. fees, so when I've been offered free treatment, spending the same again on my teeth just for the sake of vanity seems a bit like I have my priorities wrong!

Anyway, today I made an appointment to see another orthodontist to get a second opinion - not because I think my original one is wrong but just because it always seems sensible to get more than one opinion if you can, especially for something like this.

GemGal

#17 Post by GemGal »

I never did have a problem smiling, the fact is, I smiled ALL the time, which is why I got clear. I needed something to fit the way I talked and my social life. I am very animated and smiley and cheery, so my decision to get the clear was best for my lifestyle. I definitely like my ICE brackets. The ligs have stained a little from the coffee, but no one notices my braces until they come within five feet of me. For you, since you don't show your teeth, metal might be ok.

Just my 2 cents! =)
XOXO
GemGal

Kat

#18 Post by Kat »

It's funny how the mind works. I was worried about people seeing these braces. Now I went with the clear and there are a few drawbacks like people mentioned. Staining ligs, they are larger and they cost more. I do have to tell people I have braces becaus people tend to look confused at my teeth at times. I had a guy as me if those were my real teeth once. :?
I will be getting the metal brackets on the lowers soon. I mean the extra money I spent on the clears was worth it becaus I don't want them to jump out and look at people and they are a bit hidden...but my teeth are coming forward and my teeth look like something of a Halloween mask at the moment.
Anyway, what ever you choose yes, think about the money situation but it isn't going to matter that much once you get them on. People will notice and you will tell people you have them on if you go clear.

I'm happy with the clears on the top.

pippy

#19 Post by pippy »

Hi Saki
I've had mine for about 4 months now - ceramics top and bottom. I originally went with them because I am quite shy and selfconscious, plus I teach for a living!! While they have been great, if I were going to do it all again tomorrow I don't think I would be so adamant about them and would just go with the ortho suggestion. I suppose it depends how crooked your teeth are but mine were hideous and with the amount of crookedness even the ceramics were very visible. Plus the brackets are slightly bigger than metal which may be an issue with little teeth. The first few months will take getting used to whatever kind you get but once even the first few small changes start happening you'll be grinning at anyone around!! I am smiling like a madwoman these days and my teeth are still crooked, they are just 200% better than I've ever had them before. In an odd way they are actually a confidence boost - I didn't know a single adult with braces before I got them but once you have them you notice a few more around and they always chat....it's also been a good ice breaker with strangers at parties and functions...most people remember having them at some stage!!

The only thing I have against the ceramics is that I agree with Mike (iBorg) - sometimes when I'm tired and start lisping or struggling verbally a bit (which seems to always be at the supermarket these days) it would just be easier to flash some tin at them rather than politely say...'braces....' Whatever you decide, you won't regret it!! Being in the UK invest in a waterpik....they are a godsend and a pain in the butt to get in Australia.

Skylark

#20 Post by Skylark »

Hi Saki,

As another English girl soon to get braces (ceramic probably) I thought I'd say Hi. And also thanks to Natalie and Florencegal - fellow brits - who have both been very supportive when I've posted about similar self-esteem worries myself.

I'm sure that like me, you'll find this forum a godsend - it's such a relief to find other 20 something girls in the UK going through the same sort of thing!

Good luck with your decision, I have a similar one myself - braces are scary - but this forum has made me see that once they're on it won't be so bad!

xxxx

Daveyboy

#21 Post by Daveyboy »

Isn't it weird how most people.... even those of us with braces still seem to feel that a smile full of crooked teeth looks better than a nice straight smile with braces!

I think this is a natural thing, but hopefully it is changing in peoples minds all the time.

But then what do I know.... I went for linguals!! :lol:

Dave

Whirliebird

#22 Post by Whirliebird »

WOW, just reading through this topic i have come to the conclusion I must have the cheapest Orthodotist in the UK.

I have had Damon 3's on now for 19 months, and next week he will be changing my top 4 brackets to tooth coloured ones for the final straightening (aparently damons have a 'bit of give' )and he needs a tighter wire to finish my teeth.

All in all it will have cost me £1,800.

A LOT cheaper than many people here have paid.

I feel very lucky.
Damon 3's top and bottom

Clover

#23 Post by Clover »

Hi Saki! I've just come across your post and thought I'd reply, as my situation is so similar to yours. I'm 27, also from Scotland and currently being treated on the NHS. I'm in full metal, and I love my braces. Like you, I thought I'd be very embarrassed by them, and I had no choice of brackets as I need to have surgery to fix my overbite. I also have small teeth, and was pleasantly surprised the first time I saw my braces, as they didn't look nearly as bad as I thought. I did have a crisis of confidence to begin with, but that passed after the first few weeks, and now I couldn't care less what anyone thinks. In fact, my braces have had a positive effect on me for that very reason. It's entirely up to you, but I've never regreted my decision to go for this, and I can't wait to show off my new smile! x :)

Saki

#24 Post by Saki »

Hi Clover! Nice to hear from someone in Scotland! I'm really glad to hear that you have been ok in full metals - judging by the difficulty I've had finding orthodontists anywhere but Edinburgh and Glasgow I was a bit worried that Scotland is trailing behind a bit in terms of being open-minded towards adult orthodontics. But as you say, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks - I'm doing this for me, not them!

This forum is really giving me the confidence to move forward with this - thanks everyone!

lillibut

#25 Post by lillibut »

Phew!! I'm so glad I just read this post!
Im due to get my uppers braced tomorrow, and feeling a bit anxious.
I was worried about the way I'll look/ cost etc.
This had made me feel better.
Once again, I LOVE THIS BOARD!!

Saki

#26 Post by Saki »

Good luck getting braced tomorrow, lillibut! I'm sure it will go really well for you!
I'm a little jealous - I'm still so early on in this whole process that I kinda wish I was at the stage you're at!

Good luck - and let us know how you get on! :)

EKline309

#27 Post by EKline309 »

Hey everyone! I just joined this board today, I'm a 21 y/o Male from US. I'm doing my research now and still haven't decided on ceramic or self-ligating, but am leaning towards ceramic top and bottom. You all got good deals because I'll be paying $5465 or 4300 euros.

Anyways, just wanted to say Hey, and I'm sure this board will be my new home for the next 2 years!!

lisaemtp

#28 Post by lisaemtp »

I'm not 100% but fairly sure I'm going to get plain metal brackets, or damons if thats what the ortho suggests. I also think it'll be easier to explain why I'm talking funny if I can flash the "metal mouth". I'm a paramedic and I figure that worst case it'll be a conversation starter! Most of my patients already think I'm 15 years old (I'll be 25 next month). And I figure what the heck, If I'm going to have these things on I'm going to go all out - colored ligs here I come!

Lisa

tyrablu

#29 Post by tyrablu »

I am 23 and have will have full metal braces once we band my top arch. For now most people don't notice my braces on my lowers at all. Like you I have small teeth and a gap between my front teeth,so I was really worried about this in the beginning. But now I could care less because I know once my treatment is over my smile will be FABOLOUS.

Bless
TB

violinist

braces

#30 Post by violinist »

i would have clear ceramic on top and traditional metal on the bottom especially if I were one of those people who's job is talking face to face w/ people.