Waterpik

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tracy729

Waterpik

#1 Post by tracy729 »

I just got braced today. I was thinking about getting a waterpik. Can I start using one this early in my treatment?

Thanks

Way Too Old For This

#2 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I've used mine from the very beginning. When my teeth are sore, I massage my gums using the waterpik with warm water.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

tracy729

#3 Post by tracy729 »

Which pik do you use? Space is a huge issue so I may have to look into a cordless. If I were to use the larger ones - is it a big hassle to transport it from my bedroom into the bathroom?

Thanks

Tracy

xtrememkovr

#4 Post by xtrememkovr »

I have to put in my praise for the water pik, too. :) I LOVE mine. I had some serious problems with my gums (receeding & peri. issues...) and I have found that my gums are on their way to better health using my oral b triumph and my waterpik. not sure what I would do with out either.

I fill up the tank 2 times for cleaning - use warm water to rinse - and use my peri. mouth wash for the "flossing" before hand. I LOVE it love it love it!!!
May even look into getting a rechargeable one for traveling - we'll see.

In regards to space - I find that the new waterpiks really don't use too much counter space at all - and I have two contraptions for my oral hygiene on my counter top (triumph and waterpik).

X.

pippy

#5 Post by pippy »

I got a cordless one sent over from the US as I was fed up fishing food out of the brackets and I absolutely love it. The power in it is just fine for getting all the gribblies out but not hurting anything. It was holding its charge well but my unbraced husband has now developed such an affection for my waterpik so I have to charge it more often...good to see him so enthusiastic about looking after his nashers I suppose.........but anyway, the cordless ones are great, no complaints.

xtrememkovr

#6 Post by xtrememkovr »

lol@Meryaten. I was crackin up over "nashers" myself.

My vocabulary metamorphism (thanks to this site) has caused much laughter and ahs of wonderment from my family.

X.

p.s. has anyone used a hydrogen solution in their waterpik? I'm addicted to "gribblie" removal lately and am wondering if maybe hydrogen peroxide would do the trick...

Lisa65

#7 Post by Lisa65 »

I must admit I've had problems with my cordless Waterpik. I've had it apart and dried it out inside twice as it starts to stink of stale water. It also doesn't seem to be charging up as well as it used to.

Looking at online reviews of the cordless Waterpik it is not generally well regarded, as the constant ingress of water corrodes the insides and stops you being able to charge the battery eventually.

I've just bought myself a mains powered waterjet by Interplak which I can use in the kitchen (no space or power supply in the bathroom) and I'll keep the cordless waterpik for trips away.

I personally wouldn't recommend a cordless Pik unless you have no other option.

tracy729

#8 Post by tracy729 »

For those who use the corded waterpik's: does it need to be plugged in at all times because I would have to keep it in my bedroom and bring it into the bathroom when I use it.

Thanks

xtrememkovr

#9 Post by xtrememkovr »

the corded water piks don't have to be plugged in all the time - just plugged in when you're ready to use it. :)

X.

tracy729

#10 Post by tracy729 »

Thanks for letting me know. I will go to get one after work.

Tracy

Lisa65

#11 Post by Lisa65 »

Maybe I have a faulty one Meryaten, but the water was actually getting into the motor part of it and corroding the pin you plug the charger into :? and of course lingering in there and going stinky. Somehow the water is getting through the seal.

I haven't got a dishwasher but I did use to take the tank off and give it a good wash once a week but that doesn't get to the stinky water inside the mechanism, and from what I've gathered from looking at online reviews, its a common problem. It still works but I'm just going to keep it for trips away, and use my new mains one for everyday.

Way Too Old For This

#12 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I have both a corded model and a cordless model.

I thought there was only one type of cordless WaterPik until I recently looked online and found two. I am curious as to what type of cordless ones those of you who like yours have. Because I do NOT like mine at all. Mine is sort of an upright looking thing with the tank being part of the handle. It holds very little water, I have to fill it 4 - 6 times to get my teeth clean, and it doesn't put out near as strong a stream of water as the corded model. It needs to be charge about every third time I use it.

I would NEVER recommend it. But then I saw that there is a cordless model that has a tank that looks almost like a mini version of the corded model.

Here is a link that shows the one I have, that I hate.

http://www.smileshop.com/orstore/showit ... id=WP-360W

And here is a link to the one I saw that looks way better.
http://www.waterpik-store.com/product_d ... T+WP%2D350&.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

tracy729

#13 Post by tracy729 »

I got my waterpik. It is the WaterPik Ultra. I can't wait to use it tonight.

3 stupid questions:

Do you use this after you brush or before?

Do you have to clean the resevoir after every use or once a week?

What do you clean it with?

Thanks

tracy729

#14 Post by tracy729 »

I tried my new WaterPik tonight. It seemed to go alright. I only used it on the 1st speed but some food did come out.

You just run it along your gums - right? I think that I may go out tomorrow to get some HP.

I will try to floss during the day and use the waterpik at night.

Thanks

hippyhippo

#15 Post by hippyhippo »

You just run it along your gums - right? I think that I may go out tomorrow to get some HP
I'm not sure about others, but I have an ortho attachment (came with my model) that is slightly soft and flexible at the end. I run it along the top and bottom of the braces, aiming the water in between my brackets. This gets all the food out, which is primarily why I use the waterpik.

I'm not too worried about aiming it at my gums, since I floss every day and I use an electric toothbrush to massage them.