Wisdom tooth problems

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

freya333

Wisdom tooth problems

#1 Post by freya333 »

Hi all,

Well we are very nearly there but we are waiting for what was once a very impacted wisdom tooth to upright itself, with the help of the braces, before they are coming off - thats the good news - shouldn't be too long now!

I would say it's 80% erupted so far. However this week the gum area surrounding it has been very sore, last night the pain woke me up about 4 times and despite lashings of Bonjela, today it is very sore to swallow, and my glands have come up on that side!

I have read that if that glands come up it could be infected? I dont know how this would be possible though. Is what I am experiencing a good sign that my tooth is finally making its entrance into the world, or should I be worried? I have emailed my dentist/ortho this morning but no reply as yet!

thanks

Train tracks Feb 05-Dec 06

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Has something maybe got stuck between the gum and the tooth? That could set up an infection.

I should give your dentist a ring and pop in to see him. Best get it checked out in case it doesn't clear up on its own. In the meantime, rinse your mouth with warm salt water and maybe take some Nurofen, which will help with the gum inflammation and the pain.

Hope it soon clears up!

freya333

#3 Post by freya333 »

Thanks for your reply - but - there is nothing stuck, I make sure of it every day!

And, I cant pop in to my ortho because since I moved house he's 40min drive away... I have just started a new job and can't have any time off in work hours.... Getting worried now an infection is the last thing I need!

But - I cant see how that is what it could be?? :?

freya333

#4 Post by freya333 »

No can do as they are a husband and wife team, (one is my dentist and one is my ortho), and what's worse they are on holiday this week for the half term!

Pain is still really bad, I called NHS direct at the weekend, the dental nurse there said it just sounded like the tooth was erupting and that I shoud alternate paracetamol and ibuprofen and make sure to keep the area clean.

But it is still here, it has been a week now and I am still waking up at night and the pain is a throbbing constant, the gum is still spongy and sore.

Damn these braces!!!!