Got braces today!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

user

Got braces today!

#1 Post by user »

"clear" on bottom and top 6, damon3 on others..

feeling a bit down, think it will affect my confidence a lot :(

No pain tho and I ate my first meal, took forever to brush my teeth after it ...

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Hi user, I think it's only natural to feel a little bit down at the beginning. But the good news is that it will get better from here on in. Give yourself a week or two and then see how you feel.

If you're concerned about the visibility of braces, the novelty of this will soon wear off for you and everyone around you. And the time will absolutely fly, during which you will see positive changes.

Jillianleab

#3 Post by Jillianleab »

Welcome, user!

I was really down when I first got braced too. What helped me was going out with friends about a week after they got put on. Going out and having fun rather than sitting at home wallowing helped my mood a lot - imagine that!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

user

#4 Post by user »

Well the first few people who know have seen me now. Some of them are calling me Angelina (Jolie) because they make my lips stick out, my bros gf is convinced I had lip implants lol. No one notices the braces really...

except me...

I notice them cos Im in terrible pain, even eating soft food on my back teeth is like chewing rocks. Much worse than yesterday. I have loads of ulcers in my mouth from the brackets I think that's why it hurts so much, I haven't had ulcers in several years.

Today I had to take painkillers cos even when not eating it felt like my teeth were biting on a brick or being pushed hard.

If it's hurting does that normally mean the teeth are moving fast?

Hope so!

I also have a slight lisp unless I make a huge effort when speaking to wrap my lips round the braces properly etc. which is uncomfortable currently too.

Thanks for all the supportive words, much appreciated as I begin this new and curious relationship with braces.

Joanna20

#5 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey! You'll get used to it before you know it, really!

Good luck

Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

user

#6 Post by user »

Hi,

Thanks so much Meryaten for taking the time to reply.

I did indeed get some wax from my orthodontist, I completely forgot about it because I didn't attribute the pain to the brackets rubbing my mouth, until I saw the ulcers. There's so many different feelings going on, I thought the pain was all from eating/teeth moving.

I think the main problem area may be from a sharp bit of wire tie that needs cutting, for now Ive just put a load of wax on it and I'll investigate later..

Thanks again for all the encouraging words everyone, right now 18months seems like a long time!

jessikah

#7 Post by jessikah »

hang in there user!

i'm sure many of us were like you at the beginning of our journey (i know i was) but you soon get used to them!

i was suprised as well that no one really commented on my new metal mouth hehe i always found myself saying "look i got braces!!" and everyone just being like so..?

you'll soon be feeling much better! :) take care.

Wired1

#8 Post by Wired1 »

Everyone has given you great advice here, but only you can internalize it.

Think back on the reasons you decided to go forward with this, whether functional or cosmetic; there is a good reason for braces and at the end of your treatment, you'll look and feel so much better.

Fact is, you could -and did- take action to be the best you can be. You did the right thing, why would/should that take down your self confidence? It's like going to the gym but not working out cuz you don't want to sweat and stink!

By getting braces, you are telling the world that you care about yourself, your health and the way you look. If anyone has a problem with that, it would be due to jealousy and guilt that they're not doing the same for themselves.

For the technical difficulties, call your ortho have have them slip you in the minute you feel the wire poking from behind; they'll trim it, it's part of the care package you purchased when signing on. If you don't have time, then by all means use chunks o' wax and make yourself feel better.

Most of us feel a bit uncomfortable after an adjustment. To celebrate, I like to get a really large fruit smoothie. It feels good and it's good nutrition. Hang in there -- you will be so happy you did!

And keep writing here, it's always good therapy!

MBell

#9 Post by MBell »

Hi User,

Congratulations on getting braced, I know exactly how you feel, I was horrified and felt depressed and less confident when my braces were first put on - didnt want to go n e where or n e 1 to see me. However I have now been braced for 1 month and after about 2 weeks I stoped all the worrying - just think after these things come off your have extra confidence due to a beautiful smile :D
what I try to tell myself is, this is the worse my teeth will ever look and they will only get better from here on. It will be totaly worth it.
All though the pain is quite unbearable - I luv pain because it lets me know somethings happening - so hang in their.