Molds or no Molds

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tin Indian

#16 Post by Tin Indian »

I had molds done, then xrays and pictures took, financials taken care of and braced all in the same day, all in 2 1/4 hours.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

rsprouse

#17 Post by rsprouse »

What information is gathered depends on the difficulty of your case and the ortho's experience and technique. The standard operating procedure taught in school is to take a Pano, Ceph, and FMX, upper and lower impressions, intraoral and extraoral pictures (posterior, bicuspid area, anteriors, bite, arch, profile, straight on, etc) and potentially a bite or CR registration. Some people take more info and some less. It is used to properly diagnose and plan your treatment among other things.

Regards,
Rory

stargirl

#18 Post by stargirl »

At my initial consult, I had everything done - x-rays, molds, pictures, bite impression, and I even got spacers put in!

About 10 months in, I had another x-ray to check root alignment.

I think my ortho is pretty thorough!

hippyhippo

#19 Post by hippyhippo »

I had two sets of molds done. One for permanent records, which have been passed back and forth between my ortho's office & my surgeon's office already. The second set of molds were used for creating a glue tray to which my brackets were pre-attached to. On brace day the tray was popped in my mouth, excess glue scraped away, and presto! I was fully braced.

Sweet L

#20 Post by Sweet L »

At my first consult, my ortho checked my teeth, and told me that I needed panoramic x-rays, once I had them done, I take them back to my Ortho, she checked them, told me that I needed my wisdom teeth removed and gave me another app. to have my molds done 11/07, I guess that maybe she'll take pics. as well...
I'm still waiting for the extractions, but really looking forward to my B-day!!! :thumbsup:

tracy729

#21 Post by tracy729 »

My ortho took photos and xrays first and then they did molds the day I got braced.

What exactly are the molds used for?

Tracy

Kell

#22 Post by Kell »

I never had molds done. I got pics from all different angles and x-rays, that was it.
Same here.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Joel-

#23 Post by Joel- »

At my first consultation I got xrays, pictures, and molds taken, $245

dougwell

#24 Post by dougwell »

I had x-rays, pics and molds done at the consult ... $130 :mrgreen:

erik

#25 Post by erik »

For me, all the real mouthwork was all at once. My consultation was just an examination and explination, nothing was done other than schedule me for two appointments, back to back, on the same day.

So brace day came... There was paperwork (break out the checkbook). Then the first real action was the impressions, followed by pictures and x-rays. Then, it was to the "chair" and my teeth were polished, which I thought was nice! Then came the infamous lip spreader and the installation of brackets and wires... I was done in just under two hours total (for everything).

I was sort of surprised they could do it all in one day, but I did not need spacers (no bands) so I guess the ortho just got me started. Maybe my case is so easy he did not need to view molds immediately...

For my kids, it was the impressions, x-rays, and spacers on one visit with the actual installation of hardware on another day.

Erik