I am not happy with the progress!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

VS26

I am not happy with the progress!

#1 Post by VS26 »

hello,everybody.It's been almost 4 months since i am braced--damons on top and bottom,i am very pleased with the progress on the lower jaw,and i was pleased with the top jaw progress until my first adjustment 1 week ago,when my initial wire was replaced with the 16*0.25 (RECTANGULAR)ON TOP AND 14*O.25 ON THE BOTTOM.At the adjustment my ortho explained to me that i will see some gaps appearing in some places and warned me not to freak out.But i am very upset,because my top incissors have a gap right now ,and both of them are flaring,i guess this is the right word(ortho warned me about this too,he said it is necessary to flare them a little bit),but the main thing I Am upset!!!!! my teeth right now look uglier then they ever had!!!!!People help!!!May be i am panicing too much,but i dont like what i see!Please,let me know,have it ever happened to you guys after heavier wire was put-i mean gaps,flaring and teeth going sideways???And if it did,how it will be fixed?thank you.

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I've had gaps come and go in various places. Powerchains closed them all.

Don't panic yet.

Keith

#3 Post by Keith »

We have all been there but it's traumatic nonetheless. Before I got braces, I didn't think my teeth were that bad. It wasn't until about 6 months-1 year that things looked wretched! My teeth were all over the place, huge gaps and just looked terrible.

Just know that every bad brace day is one day closer to your new smile! Good luck!

RainyDay2

#4 Post by RainyDay2 »

vs-I know exactly what you mean...ive been complaining about my progress the same way for the past month. I've only been braced since August and am about to go in for the second adjustment and i feel as if my teeth look worse than ever. I have gaps and flairing as you do...i've been kind of disappointed!!!! I know its only temporary but it gets nerve wrecking!!! Wish I could speed up the process already!!!! :? :D

Kat

#5 Post by Kat »

Quit yer whinin'! (Best Swartzniggar voice) :lol:
Yep. I'm in the same boat you are. I decided not to freak out to much during this two year time span. My teeth looked fine other than aone crowded tooth and now I look like a Halloween Mask!
I to have to have my teeth flared out in the front, looks like hell.
Get used to the dues you're paying, they are worth it in the end.

I feel your pain but again look at it as a process. Your ortho warned you...start to trust him. He'll fix you up.

VS26

#6 Post by VS26 »

thank you for your responses,i thought that with every passing day your teeth supposed to look better and better,but obviously it is not always true,well,i just have to wait and be patient,and i will have straight teeth eventually!!!

Kodius Champion

#7 Post by Kodius Champion »

When I started this whole adventure, I had one bottom incisor that was slightly behind the others. It was decided not to hook this tooth to the wire just yet, and instead put in a spring to make some more room for it.

Two months later, all my other incisors have been pulled forward by the braces except this one. It's now living by itself behind the others, daylight on both sides, and I can't help thinking that I look like some snaggle-toothed hillbilly (with apologies to snaggle-toothed hillbillies everywhere).

I know how you feel, but trust me -- it gets better. I know it did with my upper teeth.

CLAmom

#8 Post by CLAmom »

I feel a lot like Kodius says a "snaggle-toothed hillbilly" myself and have for quite awhile. I'm about 8 months into my treatment. They have moved my upper right incisor so far forward & down that when I smile it's practically the only teeth you see. I know this is to make room to rotate the lateral right next to it but I can't help but get frustrated with this whole process when I look in the mirror. I was really hoping not to look like this at Thanksgiving time when most of my relatives will be seeing me for the first time with braces. I know this is all part of the process and I need to be patient but that doesn't mean I can't complain. It's dang frustrating & I'm sure it is for you, too. So, feel free to vent. It also doesn't hurt to talk to your ortho---maybe get a clue as to how long he/she thinks it will take until it looks better.

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

Marzipan

#9 Post by Marzipan »

Since I've spent my entire life since the adult teeth came in with gaps hither and yon, flaring teeth here and there, etc., I just don't worry about the new gaps that open, how the teeth tilt as they move, and so on. I like the braces - I like that they work, that my teeth are moving, some parts getting better while others have a long way to go. I'm trusting in the process and having fun. All my brackets are metal and now the ligatures are hot pink and frankly I'm enjoying it. :D

My advice is to relax, enjoy this funky phase of your life, and remember that you are working towards a great smile!

JacquieMz

#10 Post by JacquieMz »

Hey at least you are seeing this early SPAM SPAM SPAMMING. I have had the braces on for almost 4 years now and they went from looking almost finished, to almost the way they were when I started this ride (with my teeth in a lot worst condition periodonaly then when I began). I too have a really heavy wire, that is when the movement back to the way they started began 2 months ago (gaps, flared out and ugly).

Good luck, I am going for a second opinion next week, I am tired of being my OD's guinia pig. :evil:

Jackie :)

Pirate Wench

#11 Post by Pirate Wench »

I am kind of in the same boat as you......after my last adjustment my ortho said I may start to see gaps. I have definately started to see gaps. My ortho said they will close all the gaps that appear when the time is right.

Try to be patient......ask your ortho questions if you have any......it will all get better.

JacquieMz

#12 Post by JacquieMz »

Pirate Wench wrote:I am kind of in the same boat as you......after my last adjustment my ortho said I may start to see gaps. I have definately started to see gaps. My ortho said they will close all the gaps that appear when the time is right.

Try to be patient......ask your ortho questions if you have any......it will all get better.

I would be more apt to belive that if my dental healh was good, but it isn't and it wasen't from the beginning of the braces. That is why I am getting a second opinion, hopefully not to late SPAM SPAM SPAMMING if this was the wrong choice with my amount of bone loss, but I am hoping for the best.

With all the problems my OD has encountered trying to move the teeth, and then one of the molars getting so loose and stressed that he removed the band last year (the tooth has "sunk" into the gum about 1/4 they way down and they had mentioned jacking it up and shaving it off, don't really understand the reasoning there, just to keep it as a place holder, ,but I didn't let them, so it is still sunk but unbanded.) I doubt I will see a happy ending with this journey. I just hope I have enough bone left for some implants and bridges after this nightmare is over. :cry:

Jackie