Elastics and Overjet

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chris

Elastics and Overjet

#1 Post by Chris »

Well I'm back to elastics for correcting overjet.
Upper canine to back bottom molar.
Wow, the backs of my front teeth just keep slapping my bottom teeth!!!
Anybody else with the same problem? :(
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

Are you in elastics for your Class III right now, Karen?

Bummer, these elastics :-(* They make your teeth ache, your jaw ache and your teeth hit everything abnormally.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Pirate Wench

#3 Post by Pirate Wench »

You are not giving me much hope here :lol: I have an overjet and I know I will need to have elastics at some point in my treatment ....I kind of need to have bottoms brackets first..... :lol: I guess I was just hoping that the elastics wouldn't be that painful. Wishful thinking..... :roll:

Indalee

#4 Post by Indalee »

:( I'll be in elastics soon myself to fix my overbite. I'm not excited about wearing them at all because I heard they hurt! Do they really hurt that bad? :shock:

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

I'll need elastics too at some point as I too have an overjet. I think my ortho is going to use them in conjuction with the springs he's using to distalize my molars.
In some ways I'm not looking forward to elastics but I do want this overjet gone! So I guess it'll be for a good cause. :D

Jillianleab

#6 Post by Jillianleab »

I agree, Meryaten; I think the elastics caused some tenderness for a few days, but after that it was okay. I also have a problem with clenching more now...

As far as the teeth hitting, it happens to me too. I know the "perfect vite" says they are supposed to lightly touch, but I sometimes have a muscle jerk or something and my bottom jaw will shoot forward and hit my uppers. Or if I get a chill, or do whatever that my jaw decides it feels like doing something funny! I'm hoping once my bite gets fully corrected it won't happen as much.
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

charm

#7 Post by charm »

I have been in elastics nearly 5 weeks and don't mind them at all. Each day "feels" a little different - and some days down right odd but overall I like the feel of my mouth/teeth with elastics in better than I do with them out. :D Some mornings my jaw feels a little tight and there are days I feel more "pressure" across my front teeth - I am hoping that just means things are moving and my front teeth are rounding out like they are suppose to be!

Braced 8/28/06
Extractions 9/25/06
1st adjustment 9/26/06 + elastics
cleaning & 2nd adjustment this Tuesday (Yeah!) 10/31/06

Chris

#8 Post by Chris »

I know the "perfect bite" says they are supposed to lightly touch, but I sometimes have a muscle jerk or something and my bottom jaw will shoot forward and hit my uppers. .
Thats exactly what I am experiencing although this happens all day and all night.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Clo

#9 Post by Clo »

Hi,

yes, I experienced that too. I had so many strong elastics that my jaw felt
more at rest when I kept it in some class 3 or underbite. But then I had so
many elastics for such a long time that now it seems my jaw joints show
some resorption. Lesson I learned : watch carefully your jaw so that you do
not ruin it. And I think an ortho should never place elastics for too long. If
you need to wear the same configuration for 6 months or more, then things
are probably not right. Not to scare someone, but I had elastics for more
than 2 years to correct my overjet. Not only did it not work, now I need
a MRI scan of my jaw joints to figure out how much damage they got.

lionfish

#10 Post by lionfish »

Indalee wrote::( I'll be in elastics soon myself to fix my overbite. I'm not excited about wearing them at all because I heard they hurt! Do they really hurt that bad? :shock:
I was singularly unexcited about elastics, but it was that or surgery. They were always going to be a big feature of my treatment.

They did hurt a bit for the first 24 hours and I remember waking up with jaw pain the following day. After that, things settled down and I can honestly say they don't hurt at all now. Rather there is just this sensation of pulling.

Kat

#11 Post by Kat »

I'm going to need them soon as well.
My fear is that I may hit tops on bottoms cracking/chipping my teeth.
I see the turbos but if I let them put a metal bracket on the back sides of my teeth FOR SURE I will crack them. I have thin teeth. I've already chipped a front tooth since braced.

Chris

#12 Post by Chris »

Well, I've changed to lighter elastics for the time being per my ortho. :)
I suppose this will take awhile. :roll:
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

victory1

#13 Post by victory1 »

I've worn rubber bands since my 1/30 appointment this year; 1st fo fix midline and now to close bite. I thought they were temporary and here I am 8 months later with a new configuration from my 10/23 appointment. I don't mind them but they are a big inconvenienced.

Indalee

#14 Post by Indalee »

Oh no Kat ! Is your ortho very concerned about your chipped tooth?
I definitely started clinching and grinding my teeth more at night then I use to since my braces. And I too have chipped a front tooth. If elastics make this worse then I'm afraid I'll be in trouble.

Chris

#15 Post by Chris »

Oh no Kat ! . And I too have chipped a front tooth. If elastics make this worse then I'm afraid I'll be in trouble.
Yes, I chipped a bottom tooth. Thank goodness for bonding afterwards.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007