Need reassurance: extraction pictures anyone?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

florencegal

Need reassurance: extraction pictures anyone?

#1 Post by florencegal »

I know this is a lot to ask and I've tried doing a search but keep going round in circles: is there anyone out there who's had premolars extracted PRE-braces and would be willing to show some photos of how that looks/looked? I'm so very excited that the beginning of my treatment is very near but I'm working myself into such a panic about how awful and noticeable those gaps are going to be :( :( Especially in the 10 days before I then get my braces.... It doesn't help that my lovely flatmate (who can always calm me down) is away on holiday right now and I'm sooo poor until payday I can't afford to leave the house so I'm just staying in night after night worrying about those 4 glaring gaps I'll have this time next week! I really am so happy to be doing something about sorting out my teeth but the more time passes the more I think how horrible those gaps will be and how I could perhaps learn to put up with my smile the way it is, especially as everyone keeps telling me I'm crazy and my teeth are fine as they are. Losing 4 teeth is just so final and I know I'm stupidly vain worrying about the appearance more than any potential pain or discomfort but I need to be reassured right now :cry: Grateful for any pictures than anyone can post.

Thank you

Jesslzz

#2 Post by Jesslzz »

Hi florencegal!

Oh, you reminded me exactly how I felt during those days...it seems like ages ago now but all this happened to me at the beggining of this year! I know it is a hard time. My 2 firsts upper premolars were extracted a week before my braces went on. I was feeling exactly as you do: I was annoyed at loosing two perfect and healthy teeth, I was so worried about looking so bad after the extraction (also about the extraction pain) so that I was even considering not doing a darn thing about my teeth and learn how to live with my old smile. It is not a vain thing to consider, we are worried about our appeareance after all, right?

I know, 2 is not the same as 4, but the feeling and the worrying is the same. I have pics (sorry, I only took one, I thought it would be to gross to watch) in my journal: viewtopic.php?t=8449 . There you can read about my experience with the gaps. I have been a few months with these holes in my mouth (for my particular case, yours may be different) but... IT WAS ALL WORTH IT!. I don't regret it at all, even though there were some times that I truly hated them :wink:

The gaps are now starting to close, and I can tell you now the universal truth about braces now applied to gaps: you will get used to them.
Don't worry that much, most people (this is true!) don't notice the gaps and when braces are on, you will start to forget about them.

And when the extraction gaps start to disappear making room for all your teeth to move into place...I'm sure you will think about how much all this was worth it. Focus on the goal, you will get there!!!

Full metalmouth!

Koolmama

#3 Post by Koolmama »

Hi Florencegal,

How old are you? I had 3 of my pre-molars extracted when i was a pre-teen (dunno why my dentist forgot to take out the 4th! Duh!) and might have some photos lying around which show the gaps in my mouth... :) To be truthful, they didn't look too bad at the time - but maybe that's 'cos i was only 12 and most 12-year-olds look like that anyway! :lol:

Well i'm now having the same dilemma as you as to whether I should go on and remove the 4th pre-molar now... and have that big ugly gap in my upper jaw... haha :?

Ronsie

#4 Post by Ronsie »

Dear florencegal,

You also can ask your ortho if they can put gap replacements or some kind of cover over the gaps when you have your braces put on. I think that these are some kind of tooth-colored plastic 'flaps' that go onto the archwire so that it appears you have teeth where the gaps are. My ortho wanted to use these on me but I thought, nah, it would only be one more thing to keep clean in my mouth. Has anyone else heard of these things?

Gennel

#5 Post by Gennel »

You can't really notice the gap when you are talking to anyone. You might see it when you smile really,really wide and if your face is tilted like almost all the way to your right or left. For example my brother inlaw has his two premolars on top missing and I never ever noticed the gap for like 5 yrs after the extractions!

I was a bit worried about this but I was more concerned about my crowded teeth appearance.

Gennel

Here are some pictures after extractions and braces on. I had my premolar next to my canine extracted on each side.

On this one below, I got powerchains so you really can't see a gap at all.

lesdents

#6 Post by lesdents »

This post has pics of my extractions:

viewtopic.php?t=9285&highlight=

It aint pretty. I need to post update pics, since now, my teeth are looking VERY different than they were at this point.

It's not as bad as it seems. It's hard to eat and drink for a few days, but it's not very painful, and if you're careful, (or perhaps even if you're not,) you shouldn't get a dry socket.

You can do it!!!