Ortho didn't put all brackets in

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

skip27

Ortho didn't put all brackets in

#1 Post by skip27 »

Today was my first day in braces using the Viazis bracket (www.fastbraces.com). Turns out I'll only have to wear these things for 6 months, after having gone through expanders for my upper and lower part of my mouth.

So, the good news is that I can articulate perfectly without the expanders, now that my tongue can move around. The bad news? Well... obviously, I'm very self-conscious about my looks.

My orthodontist did not put all of the brackets in. He put brackets on the top 4 middle teeth and on the bottom 6 middle teeth. When I asked him why, he stated that certain teeth have to be moved first and that my bite has to readjust before placing the remaining brackets. My next appointment is December 19.

Has anyone else gone through the same thing, where your ortho didn't put all of your brackets in? I feel as if I look ridiculous when I smile. Being the type of person that is smiling virtually all the time, I feel that I now have to suppress who I am so that people don't see how silly these things look. At least, that's the way I see it. Perhaps I'm being too hard on myself, but I'm still worried.

Anyway, answers (and emotional support) would be greatly appreciated.

cbushnaq

#2 Post by cbushnaq »

I had all of my brackets put on but not all of them are attached to an archwire so my situation is different. But when I first had my braces put on I was so self conscious of them. I thought that it made everything look so much worse but according to everyone I asked I was the only one seeing my teeth that way. It is probably the same for you. So smile away - we are always our worst critics.

Also, I think people see you the way you see yourself. I think you are probably a very confident person and feel very good about yourself.(Based on the fact that you are virtually always smiling!) So if you continue on as before you got your braces people are going to notice that way before they notice the brackets or lack of them on your teeth.

Try not to worry and keep on smiling!
C.

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

My lower brackets were put on in two stages. Don't know why, didn't think to ask at the time. My only regret in having more teeth bracketed was that I had (still have) to deal with flossing further back!