Adjustment Questions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

GemGal

Adjustment Questions

#1 Post by GemGal »

HI HI HI HI!!! :-1 :banana: :-1

I have my first adjustment next week and I'm a little nervous :oops: . Can you guys give me a little snap shot of your first adjustment or even the Do's and Don'ts?
XOXO
GemGal

Pirate Wench

#2 Post by Pirate Wench »

No Problem.

My first adjustment went very well....

I got to the office and the ortho assistant took a look first and removed the wire. Then the ortho came and took a look. He got me to bite together a couple of times to see how the movement was going. He asked me if I had any questions. He asked how the past month was for me to adjust to the new metal in my mouth. Then he asked the assistant to put in a new wire. He explained that the jump in wire size was very little, but I would definately feel a difference.

My only advice is to take advil or tylenol about 45 minutes to 1 hour before your appointment. This will help with any discomfort when they are changing your wire (if they do!).

good luck.....it will be a breeze! :-*

SDFD TSchott

#3 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Pirate Wench wrote:No Problem.
My only advice is to take advil or tylenol about 45 minutes to 1 hour before your appointment. This will help with any discomfort when they are changing your wire (if they do!).

good luck.....it will be a breeze! :-*
I Had my first Major Adjustment yesterday and I wasn't expecting what had happened. I ended up getting molar bands placed on four molars *That was expected* I had Lig Colors changed *That was expected* however the ortho told me I would not be getting a new wire. *Shocking moment here* I ended up getting a new wire and today I am making friends with Advil as I can hardley chew anything. I think from what KK said is that people are different some people are really sore the day after, and some people don't even have any pain at all.

So with that said. GOODLUCK ..... and as Pirate says "It will be a breeze!"

SDFD TSchott
Over and Out

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

I got my lowers on and a new wire on top. I think that was about it. No big deal.

GemGal

#5 Post by GemGal »

Thank you all for sharing! :D I am still a little nervous but I should be ok. I feel like such a little kid before xmas morning. What will the Ortho Santa bring me? :-V
XOXO
GemGal

Wired1

#6 Post by Wired1 »

These folks are there to help YOU, so there is nothing to worry about -- let them worry about you! Make your list of questions, take your Tylenol and be happy to see them.

Two other things:
1) Put "GET WAX" on your list. My ortho's office will give me a ton, if I ask
2) Tell them you want to floss if they take off your wire. There is nothing sweeter than "free-flossing"

Gosh, I've been in so many times for adjustments, I don't even remember what happened at the first one. Just went yesterday and got a new top wire (up a full dimension!) and off with the powerchains. I never remember to take Tylenol beforehand, cuz I think I'm superwoman. Actually, I like the tightness of the new wire -- for about three hours, then a couple of teeth will start to move, reminding me that I'm a mere mortal.

This is a celebration of YOU. Remember that!

babykitten75

#7 Post by babykitten75 »

:dance: Hey GemGal !!!

:jump: Congratulations on your upcoming first adjustment!

:-1 The advice I would give you is NOT to worry but just in case, bring some Tylenol or Advil with you.

:thumbsup: I've only had 2 adjustments so far but NEITHER one of them caused me any intense pain, NEITHER did the Spacers or Bracing.

:shock: But remember: Not everyone has the same results - so make sure you have pain medication handy in case the pain becomes unbearable

The only things they have done so far during my adjustments are:
- changing the wire/tightening
- changing my ligatures

Some DO's:
Make sure you talk to your Ortho/Dental Assistants about what's in store for your future like:
-headgear?
-elastics? if so, when? where?
-what result can you expect when braces are off?
-what kind of retainer will you need when braces come off?
---will it be a bonded retainer or the one you can put in and take out?
-let them know of any problems/concerns you may have
-what happens if a bracket pops off?
---do you have to pay to get the bracket put back on?
-if you have had extractions, what will they use to close the gaps?
-make sure you ask for more dental supplies (wax, floss, floss threader)

Hope this helps!

Take care,
babykitten75
3 teeth extracted: Thursday, July 20, 2006
2 teeth extracted: Thursday, July 27, 2006
5 spacers put in: Tuesday, August 8, 2006
Spacers out, full braces in: Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Brace Treatment Time: 22 - 26 months.
(It has now been 26 months. I hope they will be OFF soon!)

GemGal

#8 Post by GemGal »

Thank you all for your advice! I got all my questions answered, I got some free stuff and I got a second of wire freedom!

I posted some pics of my progress on my braced story/bloggy thingy here (click on the www below).
XOXO
GemGal