metal ties~ not rubber ligatures

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

spideywoman

metal ties~ not rubber ligatures

#1 Post by spideywoman »

Hey there people...

This will be my very first post!!! (Gasp)... So please forgive the lack of cool pics, emoticons etc...

I was braced on Oct 3, so hopefully you will all have the chance to read of my adventures on Nov 5th when the site is updated.

Quick question..

I am looking forward to the world of colour ligatures and playing with holiday colours :) I think I have my mind set on alternating violet and lavendar... :0)) very exciting new world

My beautiful braces currently were tied on with metal.. Any reason why this would be the case? Any ideas?

As I was sitting in the ortho's I was OVERWHELMED and didn't think to ask. [color=darkblue][/color] 8)

Lucifina

#2 Post by Lucifina »

Hiya :-1
Congrats on getting braced! I don't have all metal ties but I do on a few of my teeth. My ortho put the rubber ligs right over the metal ties so that it would "match" the rest of my teeth. I am not too sure it that can be done if your whole mouth is done up in metal ties or not but I am sure someone here will know :D I totally understand not asking though...I was totally overwhelmed when I got braced too. I wanted all metal and I ended up with clear braces but I didn't say a thing because I was just so overwhelmed by the whole thing at the time :roll:
Anyway good luck with brace journey :D
~Luci~ Image
It will all be worth it in the end!
UpdatedSiteImage

spideywoman

#3 Post by spideywoman »

Hmmmm,

Still wondering.... I did get ceramic brackets on the top, (silver brackets on my molars beside the gaps left by extractions... All metal ties on all of them. No lower braces placed yet due to my overbite...

Any ideas why this would be the case???
Last edited by spideywoman on Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spideywoman

#4 Post by spideywoman »

8)

Actually, I was like a kid in a candy store. I asked about colours, and my ortho showed me all of the MANY selections I will be able to choose from. She said ligatures will be used later~ and silly me didn't think to ask further.

My best guess would be that my teeth need to be pulled substantially to get in line with each other, and she didn't trust the strength of the rubber?? Again, that is just a guess.

I suppose a picture of my teeth would help... :wink:

Marzipan

#5 Post by Marzipan »

Sometimes I've had wire ties on ALL the brackets, but lately ligs. Last time they put on ligs, the ortho had a look and told the tech to use a wire tie on one specific bracket because that tooth was slightly rotated. My feeling was that she felt the wire tie was stronger and would NOT give at all, hence the use of wire.

Also when she didn't want a couple of teeth to move in relation to one another for awhile, she tied the teeth (or rather the brackets) together with metal twisted around several times so it was very strong.

My understanding is also that ligs (having more "give") will loosen over time (just a tiny bit), so if no give is desired, then wire is used.

spideywoman

#6 Post by spideywoman »

:)

Thanks everyone! My curiosity was definately getting the better of me~ and now seeing your responses pretty much tells me that my gut instinct was probably right. Once I post some pictures then you can see what I mean~ my ortho needs to move those babies A LOT. Here's to a safe journey!!!

I have lived with my teeth for THIRTY TWO years. Ugh!! I find myself smiling like crazy now~ when I never did before. Can't wait to show off a mouthful of COLOUR!

Thanks again :)
Last edited by spideywoman on Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

spideywoman

#7 Post by spideywoman »

My ortho even has braces herself~ HOT PINK!

~I don't think that I am quite ready for that yet...