Retainer used for slight adjustment?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Maria

Retainer used for slight adjustment?

#1 Post by Maria »

Well, tomorrow is my big day. My braces are coming off after 23 months.. I am excited but in a wierd way they have become a part of me and I'm a little sad to have them removed and after reading all the posts on life in retainers I'm starting to think that braces aren't all that bad.
I'm very happy with my top teeth and for the most part my bottoms, however, I have a slight imperfection (my front bottom tooth is not perfectly straight). I also have one tooth that is longer than the other? Can this be shaved down?? I've discussed this with my ortho and he inists that they are fine and slight imperfections can be corrected with a retainer. I'm not convinced of this and was hoping to get some feedback from some of you in retainers that were perhaps in my situation. I always thought that retainers were used to keep teeth in the place they were in at the time braces were removed and not to further move teeth..
signed...confused and worried..
thanks...

garrettnb

#2 Post by garrettnb »

oh yes, retainers can be used for minor and major adjustment

just check out my story

viewtopic.php?t=11230&highlight=

--Garrett
Quiero Pasta?

Caroline

#3 Post by Caroline »

I also had one of my lower laterals that was still slightly rotated when the braces came off. My ortho gave me a lower positioner, which I wore for 2 1/2 months. It worked like a charm. I now have a lower bonded retainer and everything is in the right place.

Hope everything works out!
Ceramics
Top braced January 7, 2005
Bottom braced February 4, 2005
Tops off July 10, 2006!!!
Bottoms off August 15, 2006!!!

Wired1

#4 Post by Wired1 »

Congratulations a day early! I am jealous!!

To answer your question: yes, retainers can be used to adjust teeth. My 15 year old doesn't need braces, but has a retainer which is rotating one lower front tooth into being aligned. He wears it at night and it's working quite well. Don't know about the longer tooth... wish I could tell you more.

Have a great day and post pix!

Samantha08

#5 Post by Samantha08 »

First of all, congrats!! Secondly, yes retainers can fix slight imperfections like the one you described. Also, that tooth that is longer can be shaved down. One of my top front teeth was just a little bit longer, and my ortho shaped my teeth to make them even. Dont worry about retainers either! I got my braces off a little over a week ago, and I would MUCH rather have this retainer than braces!!! You can eat without having to worry about leftovers being stuck in your teeth. Its so great! Plus, when a photo is taken, you can just pop your retainer out, take the pic, and put it right back in. Its great! :)
Estimated Time: 15-18 months