why upper and lower braces are not put on at the same time?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ishasha

why upper and lower braces are not put on at the same time?

#1 Post by ishasha »

I am curious about this. It's been several days since my ortho put on upper brace for me. I asked him when he is gonna put on the lower brace but he didn't specify a time. At least he is not gonna do that for the next appointment.

I don't understand this. If the upper is moving but the lower is not, how do I bite? And if I do apply some force to bite, isn't it gonna bring the upper teeth back to the original position? And that triggers a second question, which is, should I try to bite like I used to or avoid biting?

I wanted to ask my ortho but didn't get the chance. Anybody has better understanding of this question? Thanks.

tracy729

#2 Post by tracy729 »

My ortho only put my uppers on as well. He did not give me a time frame to put the lowers on. Someone at work waited almost a year before her lowers were put on.

Tracy

Delag

#3 Post by Delag »

I also have just uppers at the moment. In my case the Dr. wants to make sure the upper is stable before moving on to the lowers. I have the good fortune to be a (in my orthos words) a 'challange' and a bit of a 'tricky case'. Good to know I'm special :roll:

Tfiestyone4u

#4 Post by Tfiestyone4u »

Hi Ishasha,

I just had my uppers put on the 23rd. I too had mine done before my lowers because of my bite otherwise I would have bit down right on my lowers possibly chipping my top teeth and delaying treatment. Also in the hopes that I will be able to avoid having to build up my molars preventing me to bite period so that I don't hit my bottom braces. My ortho is going to be checking in 3-6 months to put my lowers on and he said if my treatment is "slower" then he'll put the bottoms on and then build up the molars so I don't have to be in braces longer than he advised.

Hope this helps!
Tanya

Julie08

Uppers not lowers

#5 Post by Julie08 »

I gotuppers on Aug. 10 -- am still waiting for lowers. Ortho said wanted to push top teeth forwardl, out of way (they were tilted inward even though I have an overbite because my bite collapsed) so brackets on lowers would not scrape against top due to deep bite. I'm hoping to get lowers before end of year.

ishasha

#6 Post by ishasha »

Tfiestyone4u,I had my uppers one day after you did. :) Well in my case, the very first day, one of my upper teeth bit into my lower one. :cry: So I'm not sure what my ortho's plan is... I'm also having trouble sleeping because of this. I got a suggestion from this forum to get a night guard which solved the problem temporarily. Anyways, I made an appointment with my ortho tomorrow morning so we'll find out...

Thanks to everyone for your good input.

Kodius Champion

#7 Post by Kodius Champion »

My uppers went on in late April, but my lowers didn't follow until late August. The reasoning was that with the initial position of my teeth, I would have bitten off some of the lower brackets.

What sucks is that my bottom teeth are now four months behind my upper ones. So, while my upper wire is now nice and straight, my bottom teeth are still all higgly-piggly. :roll:

Gennel

#8 Post by Gennel »

Right now my nephew only has his upper braces on and it's been about 2.5 months. The reason is that when he closes his mouth ,his upper teeth cover the entire bottom teeth almost to the gumline! So if he put braces on now,my nephew would bite off and proably hurt himself.
I myself have uppers on right now and only brackets on bottom. My bite is way off. Only my back molars are able to chew. My premolars do not even touch at all. There are times that I can't bite down at all because the upper and lower teeth do not meet at all. It's something we learn to deal with . Trust me, I've found many ways to eat! :)
My lowers are months behind but it will all come together soon.

Gennel

joney

#9 Post by joney »

My daughter started with a bite plate only for a month in August. She has since moved on to a bottom brace only and her tops are brace free at present so I guess it depends on the ortho's plan.

joney

#10 Post by joney »

My daughter started with a bite plate only for a month in August. She has since moved on to a bottom brace only and her tops are brace free at present so I guess it depends on the ortho's plan.